Length of music and tracks - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 27-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660
Re: Length of music and tracks

Asking how long a track should be is like asking how loud a track should be. It depends entirely on the genre and what mood you're going for.

Advertisements

Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #22
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
I often hear people suggest that tracks are made longer, but for me, I tend to like tracks to hit as close to the 3-4 minute mark as possible. Unless the track has enough variation and journey to keep my interest.

What do you think about track length? How long are your tracks usually? How long should a track be?

However, I would listen to 10 minute tracks with this artist.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
3 - 4 minutes is the standard length for most songs. The really long ones are usually meant for club/dancing but not always though.
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #23
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

I recently messed myself up with a couple of tracks that were too long.
It really is almost law that 3-4 minutes is best unless you are doing epic rock at 5 minutes or you are Shulman and can pull off 11 minute tunes with 3 minute intros Shulman rocks though.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:35 AM   #24
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
3 - 4 minutes is the standard length for most songs. The really long ones are usually meant for club/dancing but not always though.
See I'm so sheltered that I never realised this and when it was my bro's funeral we got his favourite track out and the funeral guy looked at me all awkwardly and was like, "Excuse me, ah this song is too long."

"It's not a song. It's a track."

"Yeah. Well it goes for five and a half minutes. It could be a bit long."

"Okay. Well the original is eight minutes, that's an edit I did."

"Think you could maybe 'edit' it some more?"

"No."

Then he seemed to get really uncomfortable as he said, "Okay. Well perhaps we can start it in somewhere in the middle. Maybe after the first verse or something?"

"It's a track dude. It doesn't have verses. It's music not poetry!"

"Right. Well so it's got no words and it goes for five minutes. I'm just worried about what is everybody going to do during that time?"

"Ah. I guess that they'll be sitting there feeling sad. Maybe some people will get up and have a dance. I don't know!"

He couldn't understand why my whole family was sitting there laughing at him by this point...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
A.M (07-01-2017)
Old 20-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #25
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
See I'm so sheltered that I never realised this and when it was my bro's funeral we got his favourite track out and the funeral guy looked at me all awkwardly and was like, "Excuse me, ah this song is too long."

"It's not a song. It's a track."

"Yeah. Well it goes for five and a half minutes. It could be a bit long."

"Okay. Well the original is eight minutes, that's an edit I did."

"Think you could maybe 'edit' it some more?"

"No."

Then he seemed to get really uncomfortable as he said, "Okay. Well perhaps we can start it in somewhere in the middle. Maybe after the first verse or something?"

"It's a track dude. It doesn't have verses. It's music not poetry!"

"Right. Well so it's got no words and it goes for five minutes. I'm just worried about what is everybody going to do during that time?"

"Ah. I guess that they'll be sitting there feeling sad. Maybe some people will get up and have a dance. I don't know!"

He couldn't understand why my whole family was sitting there laughing at him by this point...
Oh man I feel bad for finding this amusing since it's a funeral. But I totally understand what you mean. I think the only genre of music that can get away with being really lengthy is Jazz.
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #26
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Oh man I feel bad for finding this amusing since it's a funeral. But I totally understand what you mean. I think the only genre of music that can get away with being really lengthy is Jazz.
Don't feel bad. It's an amusing story.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #27
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
I think the only semi-acknowledged genre of music that can get away with being really lengthy is Jazz.
FTFY

------------------
:bye::bye:
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #28
Renthebathroom
Renthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
FTFY
Well classical music can be pretty lenghty too, even with separate movement. One movement from a symphony (from Bruckner or Mahler for example) can last 45 min, and that's just one movement not the entire symphony which can last as long as a movie in some case. And of course Opera usually last 3 hours (or much much more with wagnerian Opera, but they are not my cup op tea).

Classical music can be very short too, 10, 20, secondes for somes pieces by Webern, and that's somes pieces that requires a big orchestra. The two extremes are represented there.

On how long a music should last, it's impossible to give an answer. It should last as long as they're nothing you can take off from the track and it's still feel complete, I guess. IMO the mistake is to try to absolutely add something to make a track last more minutes. And of course it depend for which context the track is made for, if it's for a nightclub or a dancefloor, go for it! Make it Long! But then make the lenght not just superficial, if it's what you had in mind the first place. You have to know why you make the track long (to make people dance, to annoy people, all the answer are valid for me as long as you do it on purpose and now what you are doing).
Renthebathroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #29
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renthebathroom View Post
Well classical music can be pretty lenghty too, even with separate movement. One movement from a symphony (from Bruckner or Mahler for example) can last 45 min, and that's just one movement not the entire symphony which can last as long as a movie in some case. And of course Opera usually last 3 hours (or much much more with wagnerian Opera, but they are not my cup op tea).

Classical music can be very short too, 10, 20, secondes for somes pieces by Webern, and that's somes pieces that requires a big orchestra. The two extremes are represented there.

On how long a music should last, it's impossible to give an answer. It should last as long as they're nothing you can take off from the track and it's still feel complete, I guess. IMO the mistake is to try to absolutely add something to make a track last more minutes. And of course it depend for which context the track is made for, if it's for a nightclub or a dancefloor, go for it! Make it Long! But then make the lenght not just superficial, if it's what you had in mind the first place. You have to know why you make the track long (to make people dance, to annoy people, all the answer are valid for me as long as you do it on purpose and now what you are doing).
I personally categorize many of these 8min trance/house songs as "transition music". Like these tracks where you make a beat, loop zillion times, add 1-3 synths and draw never-ending automations for filters, EQs, gain, pan, pitch, etc. etc. so that the energy is going up or down all the time.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #30
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8848

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
I often hear people suggest that tracks are made longer, but for me, I tend to like tracks to hit as close to the 3-4 minute mark as possible. Unless the track has enough variation and journey to keep my interest.

What do you think about track length? How long are your tracks usually? How long should a track be?

However, I would listen to 10 minute tracks with this artist.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
For me I usually have tracks that last between 45 seconds and 2 minutes....a lot of stuff gets "boring" for me. For instance, I made a "stereotypical club" track, complete with retriggered robo-vocal sounds repeating various phrases, annoying claps, and gabbers a blazing. The original tune is 1:11. My friends thought it was funny as hell and "genius". I did a "remix" of it where I stretched it out to 3:55. I made a lot of effort to make it last long and be interesting, but realistically in my head, it just recycled too much, even when I tried to generate new parts from the old.

Part of it is mental perception from your mind's eye, and mental perception from "average joe listener" who just.... isn't you. Remember that you'll be a lot more entertaining to others than you are to yourself. Therefore, you can probably get away with "stretching" out tracks.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #31
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910

"Don't bore us, get to the chorus!" - Tom Petty's mantra
If it's an arrangement like a song, then 3/4 minutes and get to the main phrase/chorus quickly!

If it's Dance, then well...you need it to last long enough for people to enjoy dancing to. If you don't make it long enough, DJ's will do that even if you don't want it (if people want to hear it). That's how this all got started anyway - people took songs that were typical lengths and extended them so the dance floor could just keep going on that groove for 8, 10, 20 minutes.
General rule of thumb for Dance 8-ish is brilliant (If you can pull it off), but 6 will do too (and is often easier to accomplish).

Electronic music - I separate this out from Dance because things like Kraftwerk aren't really often a "dance" song, but they are absolutely in the electronic genre of music (and definitely influenced dance music). Well here it's sort of...well...anything goes. You can go for a 2 minute song or a 20 minute song (Kraftwerk has very minimalist songs that go for a whole album side, for example), so in this style is more about going where the concept or music wants for as long as it wants/you want it.

It's really about what you intend. Do you want to give people a good shake or vibe in concise bits that are easy to digest in a playlist? Then you probably want 3/4 minutes.
Do you want to offer something to dance to? Then probably 6-8 with 10-12 being the upper extreme (typically).
Do you want to work more compositionally or experimentally; writing more for other musicians than general listeners? Then on you go to however long you want.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #32
Tubordinate
Minor Glitch
Tubordinate will become famous soon enough
Leicestershire , United Kingdom
MC Status: 60

i find that dance music is very important to keep lenghty , just because id be rich if i have a for every time ive came across a track i absolutley adore and cant wait to get into a live set but its just far too short to be able to mix into.... i usually then (if its worth the time) open up my DAW and try to create an intro and outro that i can work with to slot it into my mix
Tubordinate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #33
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #34
AetherSound
Granular Poster
AetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really niceAetherSound is just really nice
boulder, colorado
MC Status: 360

yes, definitely the mistake is trying to add to a track when there's nowhere else to go, and i feel like time is meaningless it's about getting across the point you want to get across whether it be an hour or 1 second

Advertisements

AetherSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote