November Album Writing Month (NAWM) 2014 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 29-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #41
Awentekr
Soundwave Mangler
Awentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud of
London
MC Status: 1260
Re: November Album Writing Month (NAWM) 2014

I've been trying to finish my next release for a while so I guess now would be a good time to do it! Less Fifa and Football Manager, more music!

Advertisements

Awentekr is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Awentekr
lolirl (30-10-2014)
Old 29-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #42
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

Um NAWM? OMNAWMNAWMNAWM.

The end.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #43
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269480808
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts

It's 2nd November, has nay of you done anything?

I recorded some materials/free noises and started going through the process of cutting them up and doing a rough 15 mins arrangement (side A of the cassette)

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #44
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

Did some sound design and laid down an intro groove. Wanted to do more but a crippling headache got me off screens most of the the evening ...

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #45
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I will not participate NAWM. I can't do this right now, I feel like I'm drowning already.
Attaching deadlines to my art is something I try to avoid; my creative process is usually very private and solitary. I thought the album writing month challenge would be interesting to force myself out of this, to explore new ways and share experiences. But it doesn't fit in with my life right now at all.
Sorry to anyone who was curious at how messed up my writing process actually is.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #46
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

I won't be at your birthday party either btw.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Thanks to lolirl
lebeux (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #47
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

So I took my laptop to a friends house last week to show him some of my ideas and in the process my psu died and I only realised last night.
Tried plugging it in and all I got was a very weird high pitched pulse every second (approx) that pitched down and faded out when I unlpugged it from the mains.
New psu ordered.
Going to spend today trying to get my desktop up to speed for the inevitable death of the craptop.
Thanks to lolirl
Muse-ic (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #48
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

yah okay lolirl but did you sample that?
lebeux is offline   Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
yah okay lolirl but did you sample that?
Not yet.
Will try later.
Nothing to record it onto at the mo.

Also, yeah the timing of the artist collective project is terrible.
I understand if people are excited about a new project but a little more thought given to clashes with our existing projects here might be good going forward.

And really the QAWM thing isn't even about posting your tracks if you don't want to, it's not a contest (other than with yourself).
It's an exercise in kicking yourself up the arse and working on stuff so that in future you might be able to knock something out in a month.
The idea being that with 4 QAWMs a year you should be better at this by this time next year if you get stuck in.
Nobody expects a fully polished concept album. You do not need to release your reinterpretation of the entire works of Beethoven.
Just improve on working from that loop based non-track you always start with to a finished arrangement and stuff like that.
Improve the areas you need to improve basically, write some music in the process, share that with us if you want to.
Thanks to lolirl
bbb (08-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #50
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

Yeah, sorry about that, I had that idea I thought might be good for QAWM and it kinda took on a life of its own...
lebeux is offline   Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #51
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Also, yeah the timing of the artist collective project is terrible.
I understand if people are excited about a new project but a little more thought given to clashes with our existing projects here might be good going forward.
Yeah, totally, I agree. I think it just gained momentum and everyone was wanting to start it. It's tough though considering album writing month is quarterly for a month. So at some point you are going to have overlap no matter what. Especially considering the artist collective could possibly run 3 months.

We are just trying to feel this out as it is a new idea and we will have a better idea of the running time as well as if this is something that will become a regular project. If it ends up having a 2 month running time instead of 3 we can start it in between Album Writing Month.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #52
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
Yeah, sorry about that, I had that idea I thought might be good for QAWM and it kinda took on a life of its own...
Without your involvement and quite different from your original idea...

------------------
Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #53
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960

Well I'm hype. I got one track done, essentially, that's hitting home with the kind of feel that I'm after and everything in the track could be taken out and played right now.

I'm really loving this Ableton/MPC1000 workflow. I compose and mix with velocities alone in this format - not really having to stick with anything at all - and recording various synth parts which I then just get loud, add character, bounce to .wav for the 404. So I'm essentially making stems on the fly that I just have to live with. Going light on efx since everything on the 404 can be easily mangled.

Laid down a cello choir sound yesterday. I'm a double bassist but I can kind of play cello but recording yourself as a double bassist is a bitch. You have this 6' tall instrument that's a bitch to lay down, especially with close mics everywhere, for you to go dick with things. A mic droops and now you're juggling everything to fix it. Sitting in front of the computer with a Beta 58 pointed at the F-hole and being able to throw it on the bed basically was crazy for me.... I'll be recording more of that shitty cello "borrowed" from a local school I teach at occasionally. It sounds pretty cool through tons of space delay. Either way, the new track has taken a completely different feel.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (04-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #54
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Just improve on working from that loop based non-track you always start with to a finished arrangement and stuff like that.
Improve the areas you need to improve basically, write some music in the process, share that with us if you want to.
I'll definitely say that I gained a lot of confidence from the feedback I received over the last few years of participating in FAWM. And I love that it spurred over into QAWM. I'll even venture to say over that period it became less important for me to post every thing I made individually through the LB and make it public instantly.

Not that I'm anywhere near making an album/ep, but it seriously feels like I turned a page.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #55
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Did some more work on the first side of the cassette, adding some vocals and effecting them to a mushy mess of noise...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
lolirl (12-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #56
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

Two tracks in. Well, maybe a track plus half of one but that half has enough material to where it'll be proper for sure. I'm probably at about 9 minutes deep now and that's already the length of what I was able to do for MAWM working exclusively on the SP-404. All the tracks are vibing together; haven't found a use for my cello choir.

Jacked some patches from the D-10; the multisample instrument programs in JJOS are clutch. Akai should really make a 64 voice MPC or just an updated unit - actual samplers are the tits.

A lot of my work is happening exclusively in the MPC. Once I get all of this composed I have to figured out how I'll do my outputs but probably something like my instruments on the stereo with FX (if they're used at all) and spit out my kick, sub bass, misc drum machines parts, and field rec perc all on individual outputs.

Keep on keepin' on team. Maybe I can find a way to record a rough mix off the mixer and get some peaks out there.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #57
Awentekr
Soundwave Mangler
Awentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud ofAwentekr has much to be proud of
London

Finished one track today, got loads to choose from to finish this... Does the "album" have to be a specific length? I'm thinking I'll only be able to manage 3-4 tracks due to work commitments...
Only two tracks done so far.

Last edited by Awentekr; 12-11-2014 at 02:10 AM..
Thanks to Awentekr
lolirl (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #58
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Naw man, it's just however much work you can put in during the month of November. Even if you don't get it mixed down by the end of November it's all good. QAWM is pretty much about setting goals for yourself, listening to what other cats are up to with their music, and having sets of ears to listen to your new material while you return the favor. It's all about doing the damn thing and not feeling like you're alone because I'm sure most of us are in "off-the-grid" locations and that's why we're on the internet trying to get human interactions.

It isn't a competition and no one is going to scold you for posting a ton of tracks on December 10th or something; the only downside to December is that some may no longer be checking out the threads.

------------------
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #59
Awentekr
Soundwave Mangler
London

Thanks mate! was unsure over what this actually was for a bit haha. It's certainly motivated me to get to work over the past two days though...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #60
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Yeah man, sometimes you just need a kick in the ass and a place to vent once you've been kicked in the ass. It's all mutual. I've been dicking around getting this new track to vibe. Should come in at all solid 4 mins or so. Glitching out the volca keys atm. Maybe I'll fill up the MPC's sequencer memory as well; so many CC's, so many pitch bends.

The last track was 400kb of midi. That's so what's up. The MPC's got 4.5mb total so I'll see how far I go to poundtown - still have 90mb of sample memory left. DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH 90MB?!

Stay hype.

Advertisements

------------------