Workflow making complextroish
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 25-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Workflow making complextroish

Yeah you have any tips on workflow to make complextroish songs? I mean dubstep, electro whatever with loads of different bass stabs etc.

I know how to make the sounds but it takes me quite long to get them well. I have this vision of how I want it to sound in the end. And after maybe 1 or 2 hours I have the sound that is the first 2-4 seconds of the progression I intended. Then I gotta start all over making the next sound and so on. Even managing to make this I then have a build up in mind that again requires new design that goes into something more of a chorus (yet more design) which nets me incredibly many hours total working solely on sound design.

For me the process gets to tiresome, it blurs my vision of what I want the end result to be close to and I easily find myself to have a very hard time transitioning from sound design mode trying to make a few notes sound their best to composition mode trying to make the melodies as a whole carry the proper progression and melody.

How do you overcome this? Do you have any tips for working with such complex arrangements to maybe speed up the process or staying focused on how you want the end result to be like?

Last edited by Crude_beats; 25-11-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710
Re: Workflow making complextroish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Yeah you have any tips on workflow to make complextroish songs? I mean dubstep, electro whatever with loads of different bass stabs etc.

I know how to make the sounds but it takes me quite long to get them well. I have this vision of how I want it to sound in the end. And after maybe 1 or 2 hours I have the sound that is the first 2-4 seconds of the progression I intended. Then I gotta start all over making the next sound and so on. Even managing to make this I then have a build up in mind that again requires new design that goes into something more of a chorus (yet more design) which nets me incredibly many hours total working solely on sound design.

For me the process gets to tiresome, it blurs my vision of what I want the end result to be close to and I easily find myself to have a very hard time transitioning from sound design mode trying to make a few notes sound their best to composition mode trying to make the melodies as a whole carry the proper progression and melody.

How do you overcome this? Do you have any tips for working with such complex arrangements to maybe speed up the process or staying focused on how you want the end result to be like?
dead easy buss shit out seriously it may sound hard but it really isnt. just have your basses going to a bus and your synths going to a bus and limiter on each and put them both at the same level (the basses bus amnd the synth bus) and thats it. then just a dab of eq on each sound. side chain both busses to the kick or use a plugin like klickstart gross beat etc.

Last edited by joem; 25-11-2015 at 02:14 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I actually temporarily gave up on trying to make complex tunes for the same reasons that Crude_beats gets tired.
But I find that it's an OK trade off for now because I focus on making tunes better in other ways than having fancy automation on an otherwise simplistic bassline or synth riff.

As usual, it seems like the more people focus on edits and sound design the less they work on harmony and tune structure. Of course this is a generalisation, but it's based in some truth somewhat.

But I still wish I had the patience to do more fancy automations AND do better chord modulations and harmonies.
I'm just not that good yet, and I get bored pretty easily.

I watched SeamlessR make brostep on a very long YouTube video and it's amazing how much of what he does is just random. SeamlessR does a lot of the complextro/brostep demos for Image-Line's FL Studio. So he's got some respect. But I don't want to make music exactly like him. And as it turns out, my laptop isn't powerful enough to do a whole lot of stuff within FL Studio. So I use Reaper instead.

I just don't know what the solution is for these mental hurdles.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Crude_beats (25-11-2015)
Old 25-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

The complextro-ish things I've done have been made with relatively "simple" riffs or basslines, but exporting/importing those individual notes as different sounds (different synths/presets/whatever). This process in a way is quite simple (yet time-consuming), but the end result sounds somewhat complex (perhaps hence the name).

A trick could be to export cool/weird sounds in different notes, as building-blocks, to a "sound library". And then just replace, re-pitch, stretch these to replace the original bassline, melody, call&response or whatever.

As a guitarist, complextro to me is like making rock-riffs but replacing individual chords/notes with more exotic synth sounds.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Can't multi quote on phone.

In response to nysta. Yeah i went over to reggae for same reason. You can get away with easy sound design and focus more on melody and rhythm. I wanna really challenge myself for an upcoming project though. Take all i learned and impress myself. I could make more random stuff and end upp with some decent complex stuff but I'm not after that. I have a chorus and everything figured out and it needs to progress just right. Boredom factor is my greatest enemy also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
dead easy buss shit out seriously it may sound hard but it really isnt. just have your basses going to a bus and your synths going to a bus and limiter on each and put them both at the same level (the basses bus amnd the synth bus) and thats it. then just a dab of eq on each sound. side chain both busses to the kick or use a plugin like klickstart gross beat etc.
I do this but I'm not so much worried with the mix. Just sound design vs composition.

Yeah evelon. I guess I have to try change upp my work flow to a more clear composition mode and a later sound design mode. I normally don't work like that as I want to see it come together to get the motivation and vibes to continue. I understand progressions much better the last months so it should be easier working with "dummy" melody lines then it was for me before. I'm also more confident in pulling off the sound design given enough time.

Thinking about some rough vocal recording also to get down the ideas.

I have a couple hours today. See if I can nail a build upp into chorus at least. It will be the easiest parts for what I have in mind.
Old 25-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Stockpile all usable samples, presets you like, patches you've made and otherwise and bounce them to audio in one way or another. Adopt a fluid mindset about your sounds and always have your finger on the delete key. Chop, copy, paste, and repeat.

Basically, what Evelon said.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned

Also I've yet to find a good way to glide / pitch shift notes in ableton.

There is an unbuilt one but I have no idea what it measures the shift in? It goes up to some 5k or smth? How can I glide say a whole octave? Do I have to do it within a synth? That is real hassle setting glide for each note as a new synth patch... I miss fruity so much for this
Old 25-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

just pick up one of the 17 million massive banks or sylenth banks.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

Write out your chord / midi structure first, then copy individual notes to a new channel with a new synth, and make that sound. Copy again to keep adding variations whenever.

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

I know that some people bounce out literally everything they make for future use. I remember seeing some Noisia video where they scrolled through like 15 different versions of the same snare. Apart from that I think it's just about precisely knowing how to make the sound that's playing in your head so you don't end up spending 2hrs on making a single lead synth.
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Just rwnder a bunch of stabs in your key, play them in random order, choose the best parts and use that. Sidechain your 4otf or your dogshitcatshit to that.

Alternatively, just pretend your stabs are percussion sounds and steal some afro-cuban rhythms.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Tom Cosm has a tutorial about this on Youtube. Skip to the end of part 2 to see the idea in action.

Basically create sin bassline -- then use the midi to generate some wacky bass sounds. Then layer the sin version with pieces of the other versions you generation. That probably is not clear, but I think it is precisely what you are looking for.

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310

I have found some pretty cool tutorials about making this complextro/glitchy type music on youtube.

Those video tutorials up top are only using bass synths, he isnt using any stabs, chords or blips.
The kind of music I think the OP is after is stuff like whats in my signature.
I learned how to make this kind of stuff by watching these videos lol

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sacarious
Crude_beats (03-12-2015)