Piano scales: in which order to learn? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 25-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478808
Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,053 Posts
Re: Piano scales: in which order to learn?

Let's hope it doesn't have too many mistakes...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
7asid (21-03-2015)
Old 25-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996280
Thanked 4,121 Times in 2,675 Posts

:thumbsup:

don't know if that helps but you could also note that the thumb never climbs up on the black keys and, with your right hand, when you come down from a black key, it's the thumb that hits the white key that follows

maybe mark the thumbs for the right hand

just a quick note really, no need to be over-thinking this

Last edited by Lug; 25-02-2015 at 11:31 AM..

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Heh, aye, Lug touched on why this thread topic-question is totally valid. It's not just:

Q: How do I play the C major scale on the piano?

A: Hit the white keys with your fingers, stoopid!

Even though that is also a valid and accurate answer.

From my roommate, I copied from facebook and it' doing some weird formatting:

• C is easy

as long as you tilt your wrist along a vertical plane when you cross under on F

• most people try to pivot horizontally and it looks like they're doing the chicken dance

then when they speed up they reach a lower threshold because you can only flap your elbows so fast

• (me) ok i think i can visualize what you mean now

does it look like this:

• no but srsly i think i get it

• (her)
    guitarists and bass players usually have trouble transitioning to piano because they play with too much force

they think it's like a guitar string where you have to keep the pressure going after the note is played

in piano there is a rebound that has to happen and guitarists usually have a habit of suppressing that

• black keys require a different technique than white keys

• (me again, i'm hilarious) that should be the title of your book on race relations in america

• the finger is usually angled differently

and it requires a more vertical wrist technique

and I can keep going on an on about this

• my teacher was a big technician so this is what I do

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Son of Akira
Jaded (25-02-2015)
Old 25-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

So, that particular bit isn't specifically helpful but I can shoot her a question if you come across one.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #25
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
If you can't remember A minor, you're not trying hard enough.
ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

What about E-Phrygian?
PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

Learn the major and Minor scales. Then pentatonic major and pentatonic minor scales, these are only slightly difference from the original major and minor scales and sound more modern. Blues scales are seriously fun to play, they're just slightly different from Minor pentatonic scales.

Learn these basic scales and they'll help you feel less lost on the piano role. If you then want to look into more complex scales, then have at it.
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #27
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

At the moment my goal is to get more confident around the keyboard to be able to jam.
A few weeks ago, after learning just a couple of chords, I spend about a hour playing on the piano and although all I could do was a slow ballad style shit, root note on the left hand and chords on the right, I had a blast.

That's why I want to learn more scales, to do the same on more than A minor...

------------------
Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #28
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

can't really add much to what has been suggested,all good tips.
muscle memory is important,and with practice,even simple scales,will become easier to twist.when you get a scale pattern down enough you feel confident,try alternating fingering.
that simple thing will open up a ton of ideas!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #29
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Christ's sake! 30£ to 40£ per hour for piano lessons, really?

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
Lug (04-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 AM   #30
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Going by the circle of fifths makes most sense to me. C has no sharps. G has 1 sharp, D has 2, A has 3, etc. etc.
Mix it up, do them backwards, don't always start with C, play them without stopping in between, the point is so that in the future you won't even have to think about where each note is.
Most important thing is do it with a metronome. That way you can't cheat.
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #31
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Christ's sake! 30£ to 40£ per hour for piano lessons, really?
This isn't expensive at all dude. Unless you think that your time is worth less than £1.14 per hour. Because one hour with a professional is worth 35 on your own. Don't be a cheapskate, put your money where your mouth is. If you really want to learn, that is.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #32
xTwigsy
Granular Poster
xTwigsy will become famous soon enoughxTwigsy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Go around the circle of fifths starting with C then G, D, A, E, B, F#, and then you can do the same thing but with the flats:

C,F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb

And then you can do the whole thing over again but in the relative minor keys

xTwigsy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #33
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Since it sounds like you have A minor down you should go with chords that naturally sound good with it. For example the chord progression of A minor, E flat major, F major and C major is great because you can switch the tone and feeling easily from minor to major and they all sound good together.

By the way I love E flat major. Only three flats and relatively easy to play once you get the muscle memory down. It is a rich happy tone.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 07-03-2015 at 10:43 PM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #34
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

At the moment I'm focussing on the ones I use most with my band, A minor, E minor, D minor and B minor with their relative majors, trying to play them with both hand and playing chords on them.
More than 1 flat/sharp and I have problems though...

------------------
Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

you can always do the rockers (whatever) chord fingering , with your thumb index, middle, instead of the fancy piano man way. maybe somebody can explain it better. thats how i do chords sometimes. you can use your pinkie to do 7ths n whatever. some sort of easier way to do chords for those coked/heroin filled live keyboardist who never played piano in their lives. lol

don't you already play an instrument? + you're a gamer, of that i know. fingering stuff shouldn't be to hard methinks *giggles* muscle memory is built in

Quote:
More than 1 flat/sharp and I have problems though...
thats why you can invert or go to a different octave. whatever feels good man. also, sliding your fingers further up the white keys allows for a different range of motion i guess. if thats what you'd call it.

unless you were talking about scales, which has a universal over under type fingering. i thought when you said them, you meant chords.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #36
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

^^^ Yeah sometimes you can get easier transitions if you find the arpeggiated forms of the chord and you can reduce the flats and sharps that way, plus you do not have to move from one spot on the keyboard as you can play chords closer together.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #37
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Speaking of chords, as far as I understood the most common chords in a major scale are I, IV and V, what about a minor though?

------------------
Old 22-09-2015, 03:03 AM   #38
aos_crowley
Learning The Ropes
aos_crowley is currently spamming hard
San Francisco
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTwigsy View Post
Go around the circle of fifths starting with C then G, D, A, E, B, F#, and then you can do the same thing but with the flats:

C,F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb

And then you can do the whole thing over again but in the relative minor keys
I think it's a good idea to study counterpoint and harmony along the way too...and once you get a grasp of the whole tonal system, start looking at things like Serialism...but the circle of fifths is a brilliant place to start...not enough is said about rhythmic studies though, nor solfege and the like...

Advertisements

aos_crowley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote