Not being able to reach the point you want in a track - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #21
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421877929
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,889 Posts
Re: Not being able to reach the point you want in a track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
the music you listen back to and wonder where he fuck it came from, how the fuck did i actually make it, did i even make that track?
FUCK YES, dude. Holy shit, I never even thought of that, but I do get that all time with some of my tracks. Hell I have an entire album I wrote that I can't actually believe that I WROTE THAT FUCKING THING.

DAYUMMMMMM, you just opened my mind a bit there.

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #22
Benwaa

its flow bro, creative connected flow!
spirit science shit innit

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #23
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by tood View Post
Something that usually happens to me is: I have an idea for a track and start working on it. I know where to start and I know where I want to get. But halfway through there I either completely forget what I wanted to do after the beginning or I just simply get stuck in the beginnin not being able to make it sound the way I want it to.

What are your thoughts on this? I believe it is not uncommon and everyone eventually comes up with a methodology.
I think that this is a common issue for any producer, someone calls it "loopitis", when you get stuck in the loop and don't know how to proceed. Personally I see it as a trial: you have an idea, you try to develop it and then something goes wrong. So you have two choices, being stubborn and work that track for months until you get something, or you just move to something else. At the end of the day, the more you do the more you're willing to have results, for this reason I don't get attached too much to my tracks
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #24
Thetagram
Minor Glitch
Thetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

I think perseverance is the key, even if what you're working on doesn't sound great, your always a melody or sound away from something that can take the track in a whole new direction.
Thetagram is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #25
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHERTZ_Music View Post
I think that this is a common issue for any producer, someone calls it "loopitis", when you get stuck in the loop and don't know how to proceed. Personally I see it as a trial: you have an idea, you try to develop it and then something goes wrong. So you have two choices, being stubborn and work that track for months until you get something, or you just move to something else. At the end of the day, the more you do the more you're willing to have results, for this reason I don't get attached too much to my tracks
How I seem to overcome that obstacle is just keep on writing. Sometimes I used to wonder for days how to end a song and then just spend all my time working on everything but the end. Just putting something down always seems to then give me inspiration to write another thing, which gives inspiration for another thing, etc. etc.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #26
Joel Krift
Learning The Ropes
Joel Krift will become famous soon enough
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 60

I've come across this a while back and it made a lot of sense to me. I hope it helps since it's related to the creative process/ blocks.

modernfilmcomposer.com/2015/06/the-science-of-hacking-creativity-and-motivation-part-1
Joel Krift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #27
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
It's hard to do melody and harmonies in electronic music.
And it's hard to not get stuck making boring repetitive loops.

It takes a lot of talent to know how to do styles that are neither of those and still sound good.

And there's not much for inspiration.
There's tons of music to get inspired by. I disagree with the points about harmonies or melody especially. True it's not the 90s anymore - gone are the melodic Richard Jameses and Plaids and early Autechres, but all you need is still the same - tight taste and time to experiment.

Advertisements

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote