Frustration with rhythm that made me quit making music. Any advice? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #161
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69891519
Thanked 1,027 Times in 664 Posts
Re: Frustration with rhythm that made me quit making music. Any advice?

The rule behind that track is to copy the fuck out of Prodigy Experience and mix it with some rude words said by Americans.

And a fine rule it is too.

Advertisements

------------------
:mayonesa:
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #162
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996330
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,676 Posts

shit even that question got a faster and better reply than the op's

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #163
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

Hi, could you tell me the theory behind the crash cymbal on this track thank you

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
vashima (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #164
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110800
Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,420 Posts

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #165
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepstok View Post
That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #166
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm staying riiiiiight out of this one
AWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww DAMN...I was hoping you would make an appearance for some reality ass kicking.
Old 30-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #167
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

To late to the party to try and be constructive, but dammit that was a frustrating read.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #168
Dummy Choir
Regular Freak
Dummy Choir is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

New to this thread so sorry if this has been covered.

I find the best way to explain rhythm is in a bar of 4/4 you have 4 chrochets, 8 quavers and 16 semiquavers.

Bars are then split up in half again and again and again until you have all of the subdivisions.

So basic rhythm would look like this.

1 = Semibreve or whole note

.5 .5 = Minim or Half note

.25 .25 .25 .25 = Crotchet or Quater Note

.125 .125 .125 .125 .125 .125 .125 .125 = Quaver or eighth not.

If you carry on that fraction down you'll end up with really really small divisions. This is the most basic way of understanding it before you worry about how to stack them up so there's the right ammout in there.

Let's make an 8th note rhythm.

For this an 8th note is going to be call 1.

There are 8 1's in a bar.

So you basic bar would look like this:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

What we can do now is add them together in different ways to create a different sequence of numbers but the total is still the same

2 1 1 2 1 1

If you say this out loud making sure you count up to 2 (IE one two) and tap something on all of the ones, you have a rhythm.

Hope this has helped.
Dummy Choir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #169
cosmicdog
Regular Freak
cosmicdog will become famous soon enoughcosmicdog will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Ok so I read through this whole thing and here's what I'm seeing. Shin, I had the exact same problem once. My music wasn't grooving and I went on a holy crusade to find THE specific bit of theory to take my rhythm to the next level. Sorry to say, there is no specific technique that will solve the issue. What I can offer you, is a different perspective on the matter that has helped me.
Throughout the thread, you have asked for advice on what to put where: where to put hi hats, where to put bass hits, melody notes etc. And we can and have looked at the melody provided and offered some suggestions. But that will not help you on the next melody or your own, because they will be different.
Heres the guiding philosophy that helped my rhythm: rhythm is found, not in the elements themselves (drums, bass, etc), but in THE SPACE BETWEEN THE ELEMENTS. So for now, stop listening to the drum hits themselves or the melody notes themselves. Listen for the space between them. SHAPE THAT SPACE. That is where rhythm truly lies.

For practice. Put a metronome on or a simple 4x4 kick drum. Now grab your other percussion sample or instrument and play Just ONE NOTE per bar. Each time it loops, play that one note in a different place within the bar. This way you can start paying attention to the SPACE BETWEEN THE NOTES and begin to get a feel for how playing the notes at different spaces affects the overall flow. You can speed it up or slow it down, one note every two bars, four bars, etc. when you feel comfortable with the rhythmic space you've created you can begin to play more notes but always LISTEN TO THE SPACE.
You can try building up a drum loop this way. No more than one kick, or one snare per bar. Build it up slowly.
Another thing you can do is grab a nice melodic instrument and put different delays on it and play in time with the delays. Experiment with different time values on the delay. So for example, get a 1/4th note delay, turn it up so it almost sounds like it's just repeating the notes. Now start jamming, SLOWLY. Each time you play a note, let that delay ring out completely before playing the next note. After just a short amount of time, you will feel comfortable playing more notes in time with the delay because you have been LISTENING TO THE SPACE.
As for your remix, loop the melody and play along with it ONE PERCUSSION SAMPLE AT A TIME. At least for now. Start sparse. One kickdrum hit per bar or less. Do this for all the samples you want to use. Again after you are LISTENING TO THE SPACE for a while, you will naturally be able to hear where hits should go.
In conclusion, LISTEN TO THE SPACE/SILENCE between elements. Actively engaging with that space is how you develop your rhythm skills
cosmicdog is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #170
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13689

not again
Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:01 AM   #171
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdog View Post
Ok so I read through this whole thing and here's what I'm seeing. Shin, I had the exact same problem once. My music wasn't grooving and I went on a holy crusade to find THE specific bit of theory to take my rhythm to the next level. Sorry to say, there is no specific technique that will solve the issue. What I can offer you, is a different perspective on the matter that has helped me.
Throughout the thread, you have asked for advice on what to put where: where to put hi hats, where to put bass hits, melody notes etc. And we can and have looked at the melody provided and offered some suggestions. But that will not help you on the next melody or your own, because they will be different.
Heres the guiding philosophy that helped my rhythm: rhythm is found, not in the elements themselves (drums, bass, etc), but in THE SPACE BETWEEN THE ELEMENTS. So for now, stop listening to the drum hits themselves or the melody notes themselves. Listen for the space between them. SHAPE THAT SPACE. That is where rhythm truly lies.

For practice. Put a metronome on or a simple 4x4 kick drum. Now grab your other percussion sample or instrument and play Just ONE NOTE per bar. Each time it loops, play that one note in a different place within the bar. This way you can start paying attention to the SPACE BETWEEN THE NOTES and begin to get a feel for how playing the notes at different spaces affects the overall flow. You can speed it up or slow it down, one note every two bars, four bars, etc. when you feel comfortable with the rhythmic space you've created you can begin to play more notes but always LISTEN TO THE SPACE.
You can try building up a drum loop this way. No more than one kick, or one snare per bar. Build it up slowly.
Another thing you can do is grab a nice melodic instrument and put different delays on it and play in time with the delays. Experiment with different time values on the delay. So for example, get a 1/4th note delay, turn it up so it almost sounds like it's just repeating the notes. Now start jamming, SLOWLY. Each time you play a note, let that delay ring out completely before playing the next note. After just a short amount of time, you will feel comfortable playing more notes in time with the delay because you have been LISTENING TO THE SPACE.
As for your remix, loop the melody and play along with it ONE PERCUSSION SAMPLE AT A TIME. At least for now. Start sparse. One kickdrum hit per bar or less. Do this for all the samples you want to use. Again after you are LISTENING TO THE SPACE for a while, you will naturally be able to hear where hits should go.
In conclusion, LISTEN TO THE SPACE/SILENCE between elements. Actively engaging with that space is how you develop your rhythm skills
Why in the name of bloody jesus hanging on the fucking cross did you necro this cluster fuck you cunt?

BTW, welcome to IDMf.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #172
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3 View Post
not again
Yes. Not again. Unless you like talking to a wall, or banging your head on the table.
I always think it's funny when people ask questions and they really don't want the answers.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #173
cosmicdog
Regular Freak
cosmicdog will become famous soon enoughcosmicdog will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Ha sorry for the cunty resurrection. It was on the first page and I had some thoughts. I wouldn't worry too much. That's all I have to say on the matter.
cosmicdog is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cosmicdog
relic (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #174
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdog View Post
Ha sorry for the cunty resurrection. It was on the first page and I had some thoughts. I wouldn't worry too much. That's all I have to say on the matter.
I was really just messing with you man, just to be clear. This thread was soooo frustrating when it was active. If you have time to waste, it might be hilarious to read.

In all seriousness, welcome to the forums

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #175
Lug
Soxdix

did I get mad in this thread? oh yeah I remember now

Advertisements

------------------
( o)<
|vv|