Keeping "faith" in a track
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Keeping "faith" in a track

I know the title is kinda weird,

i tend to always start a song from scratch, but with some idea in mind, then after i have a good part of it done, i feel "tired" of the track, or it feels very different from what i wanted it to be. i can't keep working on it anymore, i feel like it sucks. and most of the time there's potential in what i am doing.
The last song i finished was a long time ago and i deleted it from my soundcloud 5 minutes later because i felt like "i could do better next time".
i am always "restarting", i can't keep "faith" in it, if you know what i mean. and if i force myself to finish it, it feels even worse.

i wanna know if you guys have any advice on this, if i'm doing something wrong or overthinking.
does that happen with you guys too or is just me ?

Advertisements

ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565080
Thanked 7,483 Times in 5,283 Posts
Re: Keeping "faith" in a track

let me ask a question, do you typically have a fully arranged track done after the first section?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
ILikeHorses (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
let me ask a question, do you typically have a fully arranged track done after the first section?
hmmm i think no. most of the time i arrange as i go.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:32 AM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

ok...I used to have the same problem...these days I opt to get the basic idea down...then finish the arrangement before fine tuning the mix or doing heavy sound design...if I don't basically get the arrangement down in the first session I loose the magic..or if I can't make an arrangement out of the idea that inspired the track in the first session it's usually a crap idea...

------------------
Thanks to relic
ILikeHorses (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
ok...I used to have the same problem...these days I opt to get the basic idea down...then finish the arrangement before fine tuning the mix or doing heavy sound design...if I don't basically get the arrangement down in the first session I loose the magic..or if I can't make an arrangement out of the idea that inspired the track in the first session it's usually a crap idea...
Thanks for the heads up man, i'll try doing it too. I do get distracted a lot by non-arrangement business during the process. that could be the problem too.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 AM   #6
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeHorses View Post
Thanks for the heads up man, i'll try doing it too. I do get distracted a lot by non-arrangement business during the process. that could be the problem too.
this was a game changer for me...I get that sound design is important...but once you have a skeleton arrangement down it'll help you develop progressive textures and timbres and ultimately write a more interesting song...even if melody and harmony are very basic.

------------------
Thanks to relic
ILikeHorses (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

I don't find this to be much of a problem personally. If I lose faith in a track, as you put it, and working on it is getting me down, I just go and work on something else. There's no point spending your spare time on something if you're no enjoying it or at least getting something out of it.

The only time I'll push through on something once I've lost that loving feeling is when I'm getting paid, or when it's close to completion. If it's a client project, well then I just have to suck it up and do the work. And if it's a personal project nearing completion, well same thing. May as well sweat it out with the final touches so I can say goodbye to it for good.

In terms of projects that started out with a vision but turned into something else. If it's just a creation of your mind, why fight it? Roll with the results and if you want to go back to step one and try to achieve your original vision, start a new project and try again. Again, I don't think this is much of a problem, unless you're working to a brief for a client. In that case, then it comes down to self-discipline. If you have clear parameters and project requirements, then it should be pretty obvious to you. That's where self-discipline comes in to play, because it's up to you to stop what you're doing and get back on track.

But really, if you're working on personal projects that honestly aren't going to go very far (which is 90% of people who are making electronic music) then why care? Just spend time doing things you enjoy.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

I think a lot of people have this. After all with every track you make you learn something new and by the end of, at least most of the time you could have done something better. Since this will never change just finish the track and include what you've learnt in the next one.
Just keep accepting that by the end of a track you will always have stuff which at that point you could probably improve on.

What I sometimes like to do in terms of arranging is quite the opposite of what relic suggested. It's more of a subtractive approach:

Once you have your main groove done try extending everything you made to be as long as either the entire track or the section of the track this groove will be playing over. Then start removing stuff at different sections.
It's quite the opposite approach but sometimes this works for me. Other times I prefer to do what relic suggested. For me it always depends on how much material I have and how much of an idea I already have regarding different sections and arrangement.

If your problem is getting stuck on details and forgetting to arrange then another good approach is to set your self strict time limits for certain things such as sound design. Set yourself a limit for whatever you are doing and once you pass that time limit move on doing something else, (e.g. stop designing sounds and start arrangement). Obviously you can come back later to continue working on what you were doing. I find this stops me from getting too bored or obsessed by certain things which can result in loosing perspective... This also stops me from listening to the same part/loop over and over too many times and getting really bored by it...

Last edited by professurreal; 06-07-2015 at 09:36 AM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

When I feel like that I pause working and get back at it later

If you are in the zone and don't wanna break it, try not overthink, ignore stuff that can be ignored that aren't 100% perfect. Keep adding what you think needs to be there. Experiment with new sounds and ideas. Audition new things maybe just for a little filler sound.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
ReKre
Radial Developer
ReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura about
San Francisco
MC Status: 210

I so understand this! I have loads of unfinished songs in my catalog. Most of them are just lead ups that never drop because I didn't like the way it turned out.
ReKre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKre View Post
I so understand this! I have loads of unfinished songs in my catalog. Most of them are just lead ups that never drop because I didn't like the way it turned out.

Something I like to do when I don't feel like starting something completely new is to go through my abandoned project and see if there are good bits I can reuse for something else.
Sometimes this works quite well.

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote