Music theory is a bit confusing.. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Music theory is a bit confusing..

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
ultragoat
Regular Freak
ultragoat is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
music came first. music notation and theory came second. human memory is flawed and has limited capacity, so a way to communicate it to one another and preserve it somewhere is essential. you also need to understand that music theory is descriptive, not prescriptive. i would bet that even if you try to be all punk rock with "fuck rules, i do what i want, bitch" and do something that you think is out there, someone will come in and explain EXACTLY what you did in a way that can immediately be understood by someone else versed in that language (and i would also bet it would end up being something that someone else did 90 years ago).

as far as musical scoring goes, the music notation provides a whole lot of "extra" information beyond just the note pitch and duration. for example, it's pretty trivial to see intervals within a chord on a piece of sheet music (as opposed to a guitar tab, for example, which is what you are probably hinting at with letters/numbers, instead of "odd" symbols... and they are only "odd" because you are not familiar with them....letters can be just as "odd" if you've never seen them before in your life).
Good read
ultragoat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238329

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
For example I used to mix up perfect fourth and perfect fifth everytime, just because perfect fourth is five semitones = five keys on piano from the root.
Before we moved on to 12-EDO, we had fairly fixed tunings that did not allow us to modulate between keys. 12-EDO intervals are dissonant compared to "natural" or "simple" intervals we used to use before them, mostly because those intervals had simpler ratios describing them.

Quote:
Why there has to be perfect this or minor that etc? Why someone didn't just decide that it's just fourth or fifth meaning that it's fourth or fifth semitone from the root.
The concept of a "semitone" is really a rather modern concept, and the notes of scale / intervals predate that. See above for why our "perfect 4th/perfect 5th" are really more of an approximations than the actual ratios. The optimal ratio would be 4/3 or 3/2 for those two intervals respectively. (1.498307 vs 1.5 and 1.334840 vs 1.333333.)

Quote:
Or who the fuck invented musical scoring (don't know if it's the right term)? Why there isn't just written letters, instead of odd symbols?
Musical notation would be the correct term. It was invented somewhere around renaissance in the most simplistic form, so we are not exactly certain who came up with it. Most likely some churches trying to preserve choral music, if I am not mistaken. The musical notation does have some marked advantages over letters: It is organized by height=pitch and length=duration, which allows humans to utilize visual/spatial thinking. It might be that you prefer words just because you happened to be born with the tendency to prefer that over visuospatial coding strategies. See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on Visual Thinking
Research by child development theorist Linda Kreger Silverman suggests that less than 30% of the population strongly uses visual/spatial thinking, another 45% uses both visual/spatial thinking and thinking in the form of words, and 25% thinks exclusively in words.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
Jaded (05-01-2015)
Old 28-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Thanks guys, for clarifying things. I just searched our bookshelf and found some book about music theory from 1947, gonna probably spend some time reading this.

Advertisements

-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote