Building a smaller modular synth, what do I need? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 29-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238579
Re: Building a smaller modular synth, what do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
That is not small.
Let's do some hyper quick math:
There are 4 4ms pingable envelope generators, each on of those is 400 bucks. 1600 total.
There's a piston honda that does for 500 bucks there. 2000.
I also see 4ms 4 VCA Matrix modules. That's somewhere around 3.5k total now.
Koma Vactrol? 3.85k.
Rene? +500.

Not small.
*shrug*

The average for concert-grade instruments tends to be around ~$5000. We're around that on the synthesizer by your count, if you start figuring in the case and the power source. It's far from a beginner instrument - more on the professional end by cost, and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. That being said, it's not prohibitively expensive for some people.

If OP has a disposable income for it, I'd suggest he just goes for it. Buying used means you're not going to lose much even if you change your mind on some modules later. Audio equipment has never been cheap, either.

I'd recommend you start with one or two rows at first, though, even if the cost comes under what you're willing to spend. Get a basic system that works, and then learn what you're missing in it. You're not giving us much information on what kind of music you do so we could be more specific with the suggestions.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote