A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210
Re: A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Don't buy a synth on a budget, at least not for a first one. My first piece of hardware was my ESX...and I went ahead and spent the money because it was what I wanted and I'm like stupid giddy about that box still and I've had it all summer. The honeymoon is over and we got down to some serious programming : )

In the end, many of these boxes we are talking about won't loose much if any value if you take care of them.

Edit: I see what you are saying about Massive.
well a brand new blofeld goes for 700, dont know if i should pay more for a brand new one, as im never really confident getting something used. although, there is a 30 day return on most of them. ALTHOUGH, i do like the feeling of buying something new, as then it feels like its truly yours. hm, decisions, decisions.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #62
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3 View Post
The Blofeld is first on my list actually. The dedicated knob issue might be a little tricky but I'm not a huge knob twiddler while playing stuff, so I'm not that concerned. I think the thing has 1000's of presets, if I remember correctly. Things are visually represented on the screen.

They're going for pretty cheap on ebay, I think the lowest I've seen is $550 for a desktop unit. If I ever buy one finally, I'll say how I like it or not.
the lowest i saw was 400, however there was no return from an unrated seller. not really willing to trust them.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 21-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #63
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

eBay has pretty good buyer protection if something is bunk. RFJ told me they really took care of him when the chips where down. I've bought two pieces of used hardware no problem. Buy used. But watch you are getting SOME kind of deal...some people try to sell used gear for retail (lame).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #64
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649368
Thanked 5,002 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Er...because you can use one controller with multiple MIDI devices, that's why smart guy.
Wtf is wrong with people these days?
MIDI is great, use it.
Relax.

Here's the thing...with a midi controller and a microkorg you all but lose what I found to be so enjoyable about playing my MS2000, and that's the motion sequencer. I'm sure one could replicate it via midi, maybe get a bcr, assign 16 of it's knobs to similar functionality but, I'm sorry that won't do and it won't be the same.

The ability to fire up the MS, run the sequencer, and modulate away is what gives it it's magic and a cheap midi controller just won't do the trick.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #65
zyklon
zyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant future
Edinburgh
MC Status: 1510

If anyone is thinking about a Blofeld but put off by the lack of knobs, I suggest you try one out. The visual interface on the screen really makes up for it, and makes it an ideal first synth if you want to learn how to actually make sounds using waveforms, envelopes, etc.

700 ($?) seems a lot for a Blofeld though, especially the desktop version (which I recommend since the keyboard version has no extra controls other than keys but is about a third more expensive). My desktop one cost about 350 (about $500).

If you're waiting to wait a little while, Waldorf are rereleasing their Pulse analog synth in the same shell/interface format as the Blofeld for about the same price:

------------------
zyklon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #66
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
on uranus looking for klingons!
MC Status: 329128550
Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,210 Posts

I can vouch for the blofeld!
i have the desktop,i have been using it quite alot lately.
The presets are excellent,but when you explore it more deeply,it is really amazing the sounds i get out of this little box! admittedly it's not for everyone,as it has a unique sound.but i love it!
as for ebay,they have very good deals,most of the synths i have bought have been mint!
you just have to pay attention and bid smart.
as an example,when i was bidding on the blofeld i had a $500.00 limit.
It quickly went to $550.00,so i stopped bidding,i didnt back out though.
as it turned out,i got an email saying i got it for $400.00 the original asking price!
you never know man!...be sure to do your homework on what your bidding on!

PEACE!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #67
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyklon View Post
If anyone is thinking about a Blofeld but put off by the lack of knobs, I suggest you try one out. The visual interface on the screen really makes up for it, and makes it an ideal first synth if you want to learn how to actually make sounds using waveforms, envelopes, etc.

700 ($?) seems a lot for a Blofeld though, especially the desktop version (which I recommend since the keyboard version has no extra controls other than keys but is about a third more expensive). My desktop one cost about 350 (about $500).

If you're waiting to wait a little while, Waldorf are rereleasing their Pulse analog synth in the same shell/interface format as the Blofeld for about the same price:
is it basically just going to be a blofeld with more knobs or is it going to be something else? pretty interested, me gusta mucho more knobs

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 21-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #68
zyklon
zyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant futurezyklon has a brilliant future
Edinburgh
MC Status: 1510

It's also worth checking the normal "keyboards" section in eBay. Occasionally you'll have someone shove a vintage synth up for a ludicrously low price thinking its just some crappy old keyboard they found in an attic. That's how I got hold of my old DX7, which I was able to sell for a hefty profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mystik_ View Post
is it basically just going to be a blofeld with more knobs or is it going to be something else? pretty interested, me gusta mucho more knobs
It's a new version of their classic Pulse synth, which is monophonic and analog. It's the polar opposite to the Blofeld, which is combines various digital methods of synthesis.

Last edited by zyklon; 21-08-2012 at 03:28 PM..

------------------
zyklon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #69
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Oooooh. That new Blofeld sounds delicious!

------------------
Old 21-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #70
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747393

The pulse 2 is going to actually be analog. It'll probably be similar but the Blofeld isn't analog.

And this isn't hardware but I've been looking at the Analog Experience, The Lab. It's a midi controller that comes with a bank of Moog presets(a crap ton), and it is programmed to work with the controls of all their VSTs, if you get or have them.

I was looking for a semi-weighted key controller and saw it. It isn't though. It sounds awesome if you're not interested in the keys part. I wish I knew of more plugs and/or controllers that did this instantly. One fun thing about hardware.

------------------
Say :|
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #71
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3 View Post
The pulse 2 is going to actually be analog. It'll probably be similar but the Blofeld isn't analog.

And this isn't hardware but I've been looking at the Analog Experience, The Lab. It's a midi controller that comes with a bank of Moog presets(a crap ton), and it is programmed to work with the controls of all their VSTs, if you get or have them.

I was looking for a semi-weighted key controller and saw it. It isn't though. It sounds awesome if you're not interested in the keys part. I wish I knew of more plugs and/or controllers that did this instantly. One fun thing about hardware.

This is my response whenever someone says "why go hardware...just route MIDI" ...you know what...fuck that...you turn on a piece of hardware and know how it works. I don't need to be routing a bunch of MIDI controllers all over the place.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #72
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
This is my response whenever someone says "why go hardware...just route MIDI" ...you know what...fuck that...you turn on a piece of hardware and know how it works. I don't need to be routing a bunch of MIDI controllers all over the place.
This.

Pretty much what I was trying to get across in my last reply about the MS2000 but with more flair than what I had to say.

------------------
Old 21-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #73
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
This.

Pretty much what I was trying to get across in my last reply about the MS2000 but with more flair than what I had to say.

So are MIDI keyboards not plug and play w/ hardware synths? Or does it depend on synth/keyboard combo?

------------------
Old 21-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #74
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Quote:
So are MIDI keyboards not plug and play w/ hardware synths? Or does it depend on synth/keyboard combo?
Well, not to point out the obvious but, the keys are plug in play all you have to set is the midi channel. But the knobs you have to do a midi learn to get them to respond. So plugging a controller into a synth isn't as easy as plugging something like a Nvation Remote (auto-map) to, oh say *insert vst of the month here*, but it's not the most impossible task to get everything set.

But as related to the MS2000 that would be a fairly tall order because of it's 16 step motion sequencer. Above each of the 16 square buttons there is a knob that can be used to control any of it's parameters. ADSR, pitch, efx, etc...in order to do that you're going to need a midi controller with a shit ton of knobs, like the bcr, and a fair amount of time to get everything assigned.

Also once you are able to sort that out you're going to have to lable everything or remember what knob you assigned where and to me that seems like a clusterfuck.

Whereas all you have to do with the MS or a Nord is look down.

If I happen to be mistaken someone please correct me but I'm sure that goes without saying.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
relic (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #75
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Well, not to point out the obvious but, the keys are plug in play all you have to set is the midi channel. But the knobs you have to do a midi learn to get them to respond. So plugging a controller into a synth isn't as easy as plugging something like a Nvation Remote (auto-map) to, oh say *insert vst of the month here*, but it's not the most impossible task to get everything set.
luckily i dont have a midi controller with knobs, as i rather have semi weighted keys than knobs. i have a keystation 61, best purchase ive made thus far. i like having a basic keyboard, as their is less to go wrong with mapping, malfunctions, etc.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 21-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #76
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:

But as related to the MS2000 that would be a fairly tall order because of it's 16 step motion sequencer. Above each of the 16 square buttons there is a knob that can be used to control any of it's parameters. ADSR, pitch, efx, etc...in order to do that you're going to need a midi controller with a shit ton of knobs, like the bcr, and a fair amount of time to get everything assigned.

Also once you are able to sort that out you're going to have to lable everything or remember what knob you assigned where and to me that seems like a clusterfuck.

Whereas all you have to do with the MS or a Nord is look down.

If I happen to be mistaken someone please correct me but I'm sure that goes without saying.
I need the obvious pointed out about half the time.

------------------
Old 21-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #77
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mystik_ View Post
luckily i dont have a midi controller with knobs, as i rather have semi weighted keys than knobs. i have a keystation 61, best purchase ive made thus far. i like having a basic keyboard, as their is less to go wrong with mapping, malfunctions, etc.
See?

Then unless you plan on purchasing a control surface with knobs something like the microkorg won't do, you've already got better keys than that thing has to offer, and the whole point of hardware (IMHO) is real time hands on control over whatever the fuck you want. Because let's be honest you can get the same sound with most VSTs as you can with a VA but the magic in a VA lies in what it can bring to your workflow and what it brings is immediacy.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
_Mystik_ (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #78
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

If you really want to learn synthesis, I recommend the Minibrute or the Roland GAIA. Yes, I know - they are completely different. However, each one is a masterful teaching tool. They are both intuitively laid out, each has a knob for every job, and each serves a purpose. You should be able to find a used GAIA for about $500, and the Minibrute is that much new.

If you want to save a little bit of money, I'd say get the MicroKorg. I love mine, and I don't think it would be very difficult to learn on. The Matrix UI is pretty easy to work with.

And while I love the Blofeld, I wouldn't recommend it as a first synth. It is very, very deep.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
_Mystik_ (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #79
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
If you really want to learn synthesis, I recommend the Minibrute or the Roland GAIA. Yes, I know - they are completely different. However, each one is a masterful teaching tool. They are both intuitively laid out, each has a knob for every job, and each serves a purpose. You should be able to find a used GAIA for about $500, and the Minibrute is that much new.

If you want to save a little bit of money, I'd say get the MicroKorg. I love mine, and I don't think it would be very difficult to learn on. The Matrix UI is pretty easy to work with.

And while I love the Blofeld, I wouldn't recommend it as a first synth. It is very, very deep.
yeah, i was definitely considering a used gaia, it sounds fantastic aswell, and seems easy enough to use. thanks for the info on the blofeld too! didnt know it was actually really complex.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 21-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #80
samschummer
Minor Glitch
samschummer is currently spamming hard
Hollywood, California
MC Status: 10