A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500 - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #241
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts
Re: A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500

I can't wach that vid right now so my question can is I know it can control all 16 but that video says the USB can process the 16 channels of audio as well?

If I could have any Virus I'd want the Polar by the way.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #242
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I can't wach that vid right now so my question can is I know it can control all 16 but that video says the USB can process the 16 channels of audio as well?

If I could have any Virus I'd want the Polar by the way.
Hell yea I would get the polar too, its like an MS2000 on steroids. Basically it turns the Virus into an audio interface and allows you to send 16 channels, probably mono, through USB into the computer. You can then open each signal individually on a track in a DAW and listen to them separately. I was able to do this with my blofeld now that I think about it, but I remember you couldn't save any of the timbre channels. I suppose you could route the audio out of the stereo section of the synth, but I used my audio interface to output the sound from ableton.

Last edited by calypsoB; 07-10-2012 at 03:38 AM..
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #243
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

The GAIA is not multitimbral.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #244
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Tomorrow I'll have a new video up so you can check out a bunch of synths mentioned in this thread. It'll feature a bunch of synths that are under $500 - Microkorg, MS2000, Roland HS-60 (Juno 106), Alpha Juno 1, and maybe some others.
Thanks to D_Davis
Stich (25-05-2015)
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #245
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

How 'bout you throw that Nord in there for good measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
The GAIA is not multitimbral.
This is one reason I think it loses out to many other synths in it's price range.

------------------
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #246
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
How 'bout you throw that Nord in there for good measure?

This is one reason I think it loses out to many other synths in it's price range.

I'll see if I can work the Nord in.

And yes, I agree. I think the GAIA would be amazing if it were. Maybe even 4-part or something.
Thanks to D_Davis
RFJ (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #247
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

So what is so important about a synth being multitimbral? My QS-7 is of course and honestly, I couldn't care less. I mean for a performer that might be important, but for studio work? What difference does it make?
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #248
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

My Monomachine is six part.

Were it only one I would have to make the first sound, sequence it, then record it.

Then make the second sound, sequence it, record.

Then the third...

Then fourth...

Fifth...

And finally...

The sixth.

But since I can do all six parts together as I go it really speeds up the initial composition stage for me.

------------------
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #249
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Cool, thanks.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #250
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
So what is so important about a synth being multitimbral? My QS-7 is of course and honestly, I couldn't care less. I mean for a performer that might be important, but for studio work? What difference does it make?
I find it useful in the studio for layering and composing.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #251
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
I find it useful in the studio for layering and composing.
if you have an 88 key midi keyboard and a blofeld for instance, you can have a different sound bank at every octave, so you can have 7 synths on one keyboard. Also you can have them all be the same pitch if you want. This allows you to group pads, bass, leads, arpeggios, and FX per track. The only thing I didnt understand was saving the timbres, Im not sure if its possible honestly.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #252
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534551

The MS2000 is certainly worth the price they are selling for on eBay at the moment, what a wonderful synth

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #253
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
on uranus looking for klingons!
MC Status: 329128500
Thanked 1,760 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoB View Post
MAn Im telling you guys the blofeld has mad bugs just like the korg zero-8 did, you dont wanna stick a 14 year old kid with something that has so many firmware issues. D_Davis you must have the only blofeld that runs smooth, every firmware update I did either cut the headphone volume, froze the UI, or completely bricked the blofeld so that I had to do the emergency wipe process. It also made a hiss sound when you use the usb cable. It is a bad ass synth but buggy as fuck. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
i read all those threads,and pesonally i have never had a problem with my blofeld.
i use an old m-audio 4x4 to transmit os data and sysex data.not sure why but i guess i got a good quality one.

------------------
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #254
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
i read all those threads,and pesonally i have never had a problem with my blofeld.
i use an old m-audio 4x4 to transmit os data and sysex data.not sure why but i guess i got a good quality one.
Me too, never had problems with my blokeys. Upgraded to the latest OS when I got it, and I never experienced a crash or even a minor glitch. I've had it several years now.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #255
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210

looks like someone revived my long dead synth thread haha

i really like the looks of the new microbrute, and at only 300 bucks, i might just consider actually getting it as after i went to actually try some synths out in person at guitar center a year ago, i realized that those "virtual analog" synths are no different than a vst and a midi keyboard. the analog synths tho oh man those were nice, but too expensive. i did like the minibrute tho, i just thought 500 was a lot for a mono synth.

i dont have a prob with 300 though, so i might just consider getting one when i get some more money.

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #256
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Hi guys ! I'm willing to learn how to play piano to get my music to another level, I really want to learn more about synthesizers as well.
I'm planing to buy a mircokorg, kind of fell in love with that one and doesn't seem to be very expensive. Is it a good start point to get it or are there better alternatives ?
Faktori is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #257
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

^Have you looked at the ms2000r? Same engine, almost the same price, more knobs, but no keys.

Worth checking out if you're considering a MK.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Faktori (17-03-2014)
Old 17-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #258
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^Have you looked at the ms2000r? Same engine, almost the same price, more knobs, but no keys.

Worth checking out if you're considering a MK.
Looks like a nice piece of gear ! Tho I really prefer piano keys over knob amount since I like working on melodies
Will watch a few videos about that one, thanks for the advice
Old 17-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #259
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faktori View Post
Looks like a nice piece of gear ! Tho I really prefer piano keys over knob amount since I like working on melodies
Will watch a few videos about that one, thanks for the advice
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but you could always add a MIDI keyboard to it. Should be able to just plug a set of keys right into the synth.

Menu diving on hardware synths is for the birds. Though a couple companies like Elektron and Waldorf got it right.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Faktori (17-03-2014)
Old 17-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #260
Faktori
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but you could always add a MIDI keyboard to it. Should be able to just plug a set of keys right into the synth.
Will consider this, I checked the thing and it sounds like it has a lot of possibilities on it's own.
But I also like the microkorg for being quite portable and having the possibility to work on batteries. I like the idea of taking it in a parc or whatever place with headphones and just doodle around for myself and get inspired by what's around me

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Menu diving on hardware synths is for the birds. Though a couple companies like Elektron and Waldorf got it right.
I must admit those menus does look awful

Advertisements