Scales!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 22-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Scales!

I got two questions for yall today!

1. Is it true that most EDM songs are written in the minor scale?

2. Is there any program/way that can help me ĘcheatĘ my way trough the major and minor scale theory? Im reading my theory book about it, and trying to watch videos, but im having some problems understanding it, so i was wondering if there was any way i could use like gost channels (from FL, i dont know if other DAW`s have that option) to see what notes i can play?

Also, Ive read that if you are going to use chords, you will need to build your bassline from the root note of the chord Im just trying to practice on chords and basslines, and melodies... so therefore im trying to get loose from the thory, for now, just so i can get a grasp of what it sounds like when you play in for example minor scale....

PS: Im NOT looking for ways to cheat my way trough theory for ever! Just for a little while so i can listen and maybe undertsand things a little better!

Thanks for all replies

Last edited by FoDriZZlE; 22-02-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Advertisements

FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8590280
Thanked 7,987 Times in 5,609 Posts
Re: Scales!

1. No, most pop dance tunes are probably written in Major scales, I'd say.

2. Not trying to be an ass, but seriously, scales are the easiest part of music theory. They are sets of single notes that sound good together relative to middle C and according to Western music theory. That's it (as far as I understand). You can memorize them if you want. I just use a cheat sheet. You can find pictures of the scales that look like the piano roll on the internet.

3. Stick with Chords and Melody and how they interact. And yea, using the root note in the bassline isn't a terrible idea, but I try to pick the notes that hit the hardest if I'm doing bass music. Doesn't HAVE to be the root note.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Learn the A minor scale, learn the C major scale, transpose your keyboard up/down to any other key, bam, you can play any major or minor scale using only adjacent white keys!
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

How to form a Major scale:
Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone.
How to form a Minor Scale:
Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone.

A tone is two steps, and a semitone is one step.
So, a tone from C would be a D. And a semitone from C is a C#.

Scales are the first step in music theory. Practise them until they're instinct, then you can move on to chords and melodies and basslines. Don't get ahead of yourself, you'll regret it later. Take it slowly, learn it well.

There's no harm in making a 4 bar long midi section, with all the notes in the scale in it but muted. Then you can cut out chunks from each of the notes and make melodies and such from that. Hope that makes sense.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8590280
Thanked 7,987 Times in 5,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post

Scales are the first step in music theory. Practise them until they're instinct, then you can move on to chords and melodies and basslines. Don't get ahead of yourself, you'll regret it later. Take it slowly, learn it well.

There's no harm in making a 4 bar long midi section, with all the notes in the scale in it but muted. Then you can cut out chunks from each of the notes and make melodies and such from that. Hope that makes sense.
Just for the sake of another point of view. One of my long time friends taught piano for years told me to try learning chords and melodies and the relationship between them first as for many adults this is easier (she explained why, I forget now). I tried that and everything fell into place in a week or so. Not that I'm an expect, but I jumped forward in my theory understanding.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Solarite
-
Solarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MC
Mid
MC Status: 63769944

+1 for just learn them. You'll thank yourself once you've learnt them all in a week.

Edit: If you have a keyboard, it's probably a good idea to learn them on that.

------------------
Solarite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarite View Post
+1 for just learn them. You'll thank yourself once you've learnt them all in a week.

Edit: If you have a keyboard, it's probably a good idea to learn them on that.
There are hundreds of scales. You can't "learn them all in a week". Sure you can with major, minor (melodic, harmonic, natural) scales. But you aren't even including any modes, limited modes of transposition, ragas, and synthetic scales...

Please don't vastly under simply pitch sets.

Last edited by IamOthello; 02-03-2013 at 07:59 PM..

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
harpeer
Regular Freak
harpeer is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoDriZZlE View Post

2. Is there any program/way that can help me ĘcheatĘ my way trough the major and minor scale theory? Im reading my theory book about it, and trying to watch videos, but im having some problems understanding it, so i was wondering if there was any way i could use like gost channels (from FL, i dont know if other DAW`s have that option) to see what notes i can play?

PS: Im NOT looking for ways to cheat my way trough theory for ever! Just for a little while so i can listen and maybe undertsand things a little better!

Thanks for all replies
If you are on a PC, take a look at: chordwarepa.com

(you can use it to temporarily cheat, or open doors, its up to you Though its not 'learning' software.

Last edited by harpeer; 02-03-2013 at 09:43 PM..
harpeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69860
Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,035 Posts

ok, so I think I might be Off topic but whatever/ I don't want to start a new thread to just answer one question.

So If a song is in D major scale.

Do I Have to start with D?

because I used C# instead and I had someone tell me my song sounded off key and incorrect because I used C# instead of D(C# is in Dmajor btw) So wth.

Can anyone explain why It is wrong? or can they explain why he is wrong? plox halp

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
ok, so I think I might be Off topic but whatever/ I don't want to start a new thread to just answer one question.

because I used C# instead and I had someone tell me my song sounded off key and incorrect because I used C# instead of D(C# is in Dmajor btw) So wth.

Can anyone explain why It is wrong? or can they explain why he is wrong? plox halp
It's not wrong at all! There is nothing wrong about playing notes outside of the key you are in. Think of a key as being the generator of harmony. Melody often times can be highly chromatic while still being well contained within a key. If you played a Dmaj chord then added a C# in the melody, you would be playing a Dmaj7. Nothing wrong with that! If it sounds good to you, use it.

------------------
"We are masters of the unsaid words, yet slaves of those we let slip out."

zheaerosemusic.bandcamp.com
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
harpeer
Regular Freak
harpeer is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post

No.

If your song is in the key of D it means that D is the prevalent or home tone that the song usually ends with. Starting with the C# as the leading tone to D is no problem.

Who can say that he is wrong though? Maybe you should use another note like A as the key in mixolodian, or B in the relative minor key. Not enough info unless you show us the song.

Last edited by harpeer; 07-03-2013 at 04:26 AM..
harpeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

1. I don't know what scales most of my songs are. But probably Amin or Cmaj cause its the white keys and thats easiest. and you know the black keys are the "do not press these as often" keys.

2. fruity comes with a bunch of midi scales (or it used to). just load it up in a channel and use it as ghost. Easy stuff

If you do not wanna dabble to much into theory I recommend to start with a bassline. Get something you like. Keep it simple.

then add a melody to that. Whatever sounds good just go with it.

If you wanna know the chords from my basic understanding I say:

Whatever note the bass is playing is most probably the chords 1st or 5th note. so if the chord is C the bass probably plays a C but it could also play a G. SO you gotta work your way backwards from that

Note that I have a very limited knowledge of theory but I feel that it in no way hinders me to make any music that I like. If I want to make reggae I make reggae. If I wanna make sad ambient songs I do that. I go just with feeling. The only concept I have of theory is maj/min scale and that C F G (for Cmaj scale) and A D E (for Amin scale) are "good" chord progressions. And I think my melodies are complex and expressful enough check soundcloud if you wanna. If you don't wanna dabble with theory then don't no need to be apologetic about it. However the most basic understanding I think helps most people but never go by it as rule. Go with feeling then add things by the rules if all else fails.

whats more important is listening to many different kinds of music and figure out how the intervals relate to each other. finding these intervals on the keyboard is really easy if you know what you are looking for and have a decent ear.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 07-03-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Exibyte
Granular Poster
Exibyte is a jewel in the roughExibyte is a jewel in the roughExibyte is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I think that reading a little bit about the math behind the equal tempered scale and its relationship with upper partials, as well as about the ratio of the intervals between steps in the pythagorean and the equal tempered scale will help you understand the nature of scales in a more interesting point of view.

This is why I prefer to work with frequencies instead of notes and expriment with alternate tunings. You are without limits when creating harmony.
Exibyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

PHRYGIAN MODE IS THE BEST MODE

Also whole tone scales.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm just gonna drop this down... right about... here...

This helped me alot, it's nice to have in the background, but keep in mind that scales and shit should limit your music or your workflow.

Use it as a guidance, not a limitation

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 81042050
Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
have you tried modes of the melodic minor already ? Mixolydian b6 is one of my favourites.
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
have you tried modes of the melodic minor already ? Mixolydian b6 is one of my favourites.
I really liked dorian mode too. I remember fiddling with mixolydian but I barely remember how it sounded, also I'm assuming that's different from mixolydian b6? I googled it but I mostly see guides for guitar, I have no idea how to read tabs.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #18
Akiak
Sample Destroyer
Akiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to behold
Napoli
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
This.

For some reason whenever I'm improvising to find melodies, I always always always end up playing in phrygian. If I'm playing all white notes, the last note will almost always be E. This also happens when I'm playing the sax, it's like part of my DNA.

Also, thanks Dippshoe for that link, quite useful.
Akiak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
mibix
Soundwave Mangler
mibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MCmibix is a savage MC
Bristol
MC Status: 21209

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post

+1 on leaning these patterns for scales.

although the harmonic minor, which is the most common minor scale, has a raised tone (tone and a half) as the last interval before the root.

------------------
My collection of music, plugins and random projects... arcticanaudio.com
mibix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoDriZZlE View Post
1. Is it true that most EDM songs are written in the minor scale
As far as I know, the only EDM genre that loves the major scale is happy hardcore.
Electro house/dubstep that I've heard is always in minor, more specifically minor pentatonic/blues.
Trance/progressive house is always in minor too, with less emphasis on the pentatonic
Jazz-influenced house, techno, and drum & bass are usually in minor keys, but will use complex harmonies that could mask major/minor tonality at any given point in a song
Some EDM has no tonality or might have "exotic" sounds (neither major/minor). Very percussive or synthetic music

I agree that a lot of "dance pop" music is written in major tonality.. though not all.

Last edited by frajen; 11-03-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Advertisements

frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote