Synth for techno & dub - techno chords
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Egocentricus
Regular Freak
Egocentricus is currently spamming hard
Germany, Ingolstadt
MC Status: 10
Icon5 Synth for techno & dub - techno chords

Hi guys,

I've recently found again the passion to make music, and am building slowly my home studio. I make mainly techno / deep techno, and occasionally dub techno.

I produce in the box, however, lately I have started adding hardware to my setup as it just gives me way more fun to produce this way.

Right now my setup consists of:

- Computer with Ableton DAW for main processing & MOTU Ultralite audio interface

- Roland tr8 , Arturia DrumBrute, NI Maschine for drums

- Arturia MiniBrute for more rough techno lead sounds.

and am planning to get a Behringer Model D to take care of the lower end. (once they are on stock..)

Additionally I am in the market for a Poly synth (hence this thread). It would be used for mostly techno chords and eventually some athmospheres and more complex synth lines.

My budget would ideally not go over the 650 EUR mark..

I have been looking at synths like Korg Minilogue, Behringer DeepMind 6, the roland boutiques, but as I cannot test them, I rely on youtube videos.

I was wondering if you guys have some more ideas? The synth doesn't have to be brand new, I don't mind buying 2nd hand something more vintage, as long as the budget allows it.. (virus B? nord rack 2?.. hit me up )

Please don't reply with VST ideas, I have enough VSTs to take care of my problem, but I'm just enjoying the hands-on control on a hardware a bit too much lately so I definitely want a hardware synth

thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

Egocentricus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts
Re: Synth for techno & dub - techno chords

Ive got both the Minilogue and the DeepMind (12) - both can do dub tech chords but its worth noting that the FX in the DeepMind are FAR more comprehensive than the lofi delay on the Minilogue.

I love both, but I think that the Deepmind would be more "bang for your buck"

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110

You might want to hold on the model D and wait for the Neutron if you can.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564880
Thanked 7,479 Times in 5,279 Posts

I think the Analog 4, genrally speaking, is great for Dub Techno. You can probably get one used for 650 if you are paitient. It is really easy to program in subtle, automated changes and the performance macros make it easy to record lots of live knob tweaking. Its really different from the two synths you suggest, however.

Check out some Dub Techno videos w the A4.

PS-- the delay and revern are pretty damn good. Also very easy to automate and tweak live.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 02:11 AM   #5
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176360
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,102 Posts

When I think "dub techno chords" I usually think more of vocoders/filterbanks and various cross-feeding delays rather than any synth in particular.

I used to have a Jp-8080 and that thing was very very awesome for just that. It has a vocoder and a filterbank, unlike the 8000.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
relic (15-04-2018)
Old 13-04-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Iíve been contemplating a polysynth for my setup as well. I wouldnít necessarily put the Analog 4 in that category, as it has only 4 voices. The DeepMind seems like a great option in your price range.
The 8 voice Digitone might be something to look into, especially as it also has MIDI sequencing capabilities, which would be useful in combination with your Model D.
While not in the price range you outline, if I had to pick a polysynth right now, itíd be a Prophet rev2. Then again, my setup is nuts as it is.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Egocentricus
Regular Freak
Germany, Ingolstadt

thanks for the feedback guys - important to say, is that I am not just after "dub techno chords", but rather also techno synth lines. I kind of make dance floor orriented techno music, but with a more dark, dubby feeling to it.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: yes I have been keeping my eye on the Neutron as well, they are killing us now with so many budget options )))
: Analog 4 sounds good, i checked for used ones and they go somewhere over my budget. On the other hand, for the same price I could get a brand new minilogue/deepmind with warranty.. nevertheless, I've always heard just good things of Elektron machines. I will dig a bit more into some videos
: the digitone looks great as well, and also takes just a bit of space. could be great for live use as well, as I am planning to eventually build a live set in the future.

Some guy i talked to yesterday suggested a Roland Alpha Juno 1, i can get it used for about 350. Unfortunately it needs an external controller to be programmed, so the total would fall also on 600. However after checking some videos, the sound seems to fit perfectly to the techno genre. Anybody got experience with that synth?

Regards,
Yavor
Old 13-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Egocentricus
Regular Freak
Germany, Ingolstadt

I've watched more videos of the Digitone and it really sounds pretty awesome. Also, the fact that you can program up to 4 tracks, including sequencing external gear is pretty neat - not that I need this, since I sequence in Ableton Live..

However a question raises in me: it is a machine that can do a various number of things - meaning that there are probably some drawbacks compared to machines built for only one single purpose, or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Yavor
Old 13-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

If you are planning to sequence the synth from Ableton I'd say don't bother with the Analog 4 or maybe even the Digitone--Elektron's power is all in the sequencer. I don't know how the Digitone's sequencer works exactly, but with the Analog 4 you can't use the per-step automation if you are using an external sequencer. At that point I'd recommend the Minilogue and a good delay you can tweak live or the DeepMind as suggested.

------------------
Old 14-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egocentricus View Post
I've watched more videos of the Digitone and it really sounds pretty awesome. Also, the fact that you can program up to 4 tracks, including sequencing external gear is pretty neat - not that I need this, since I sequence in Ableton Live..

However a question raises in me: it is a machine that can do a various number of things - meaning that there are probably some drawbacks compared to machines built for only one single purpose, or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Yavor
Iíve not yet tried the MIDI sequencer on the Digitone, but the implementation on the Digitakt is awesome and looks identical per the menu. Key difference is that the Digitakt has four and the Digitone 8 MIDI tracks. Elektron has really hit it out of the park with the Digitone. Itís fun and sounds super sweet.
The FM Engine begs for some dark techno and hard percussion.
No one can yet comment on Overbridge as the implementation is delayed, but for the Analog 4 and Rytm that feature is great. Kind of a two way integration of your hardware with an ITB setup. Really nice when youíre used to Maschine.

------------------

Old 14-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:

Cheers,
Yavor
Iíve not yet tried the MIDI sequencer on the Digitone, but the implementation on the Digitakt is awesome and looks identical per the menu. Key difference is that the Digitakt has four and the Digitone 8 MIDI tracks. Elektron has really hit it out of the park with the Digitone. Itís fun and sounds super sweet.
The FM Engine begs for some dark techno and hard percussion.
No one can yet comment on Overbridge as the implementation is delayed, but for the Analog 4 and Rytm that feature is great. Kind of a two way integration of your hardware with an ITB setup. Really nice when youíre used to Maschine.

------------------

Old 15-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
Egocentricus
Regular Freak
Germany, Ingolstadt

thanks for the feedback guys. I have to be honest, after watching a lot of Digitone videos, I am kind of leaning towards it, as it is a bit more versatile. The format is also very appealing, as it takes a bit of space and I have already a very good midi keyboard (Novation Remote SL)
It is however a bit over my budget, so I have to think about it.

Question: if I use Ableton as my main clock source, and Digitone is synced to it, would I still be able to use it's sequencer to sequence other stuff, like my Minibrute or the Model D in the future, or does the feature become obsolete?

The only thing I do not like so much, compared to the DeepMind and the Minilogue, is that the Digitone is not hands-on control, rather quite a lot of menu-digging. However, I've read, that the menus and user experience is generally very well thought on Elektron Machines, and that shouldn't be different on the Digitone..
Old 15-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Quote:
Question: if I use Ableton as my main clock source, and Digitone is synced to it, would I still be able to use it's sequencer to sequence other stuff, like my Minibrute or the Model D in the future, or does the feature become obsolete?
Obsolete how? Thatís very basic function of a hardware sequencer, sequence and sync, itís 101.

Quote:
The only thing I do not like so much, compared to the DeepMind and the Minilogue, is that the Digitone is not hands-on control, rather quite a lot of menu-digging. However, I've read, that the menus and user experience is generally very well thought on Elektron Machines, and that shouldn't be different on the Digitone..
I personally donít get along very well with elektron way of business, didnít like the analog 4 in terms of the way things were setup, and I canít stand the sampling in the octatrack. That said, those are much more complex machines as far as I can tell than the digi twins seem to be. Still, user beware in terms of elektron workflow.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
When I think "dub techno chords" I usually think more of vocoders/filterbanks and various cross-feeding delays rather than any synth in particular.

I used to have a Jp-8080 and that thing was very very awesome for just that. It has a vocoder and a filterbank, unlike the 8000.
Upon further consideration I think this is the most spot on response in the thread. A feature rich delay and a nice sounding analog filter is probably the ticket.

Last edited by relic; 15-04-2018 at 08:03 PM..

------------------
Thanks to relic
thom (16-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
thanks for the feedback guys. I have to be honest, after watching a lot of Digitone videos, I am kind of leaning towards it, as it is a bit more versatile. The format is also very appealing, as it takes a bit of space and I have already a very good midi keyboard (Novation Remote SL)
It is however a bit over my budget, so I have to think about it.

To your question: yes, clock and transport control can come from anywhere and the Elektron gear will still sequence whatever needs it. I like to use Maschine for arrangement via program change message to change patterns. Works like a charm.

Menu digging has been a bit of an issue for some and it does take some getting used to. That said, some of the most unintuitive aspects have been eliminated in the Digi boxes (the ďkitĒ behavior, for example).
The only thing that may take getting used to is the data structure (+drive vs sound pool).
You can plug in your keyboard directly and you should also be able to map the controls to your Maschine controller.
With lots of options does inevitably come the need to learn how to use the unit. However, nothing matches the complexity of the Octatrack.

------------------

Old 16-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

buncha Elektron fetishists over here....

meh.

MEH I SAY.

------------------
Old 17-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
buncha Elektron fetishists over here....

meh.

MEH I SAY.
Yeah... youíre not cool until you got some fancy Eurorack. All the rest is for a bunch of posers...

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
chasedobson (18-04-2018)
Old 18-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

i am not interested in modular either...

------------------
Old 19-04-2018, 04:20 AM   #19
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Yeah... youíre not cool until you got some fancy Eurorack. All the rest is for a bunch of posers...
I spit on your modular overlord...

------------------
Old 19-04-2018, 04:28 AM   #20
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i am not interested in modular either...
Same, just no, thanks!

Advertisements

jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote