Listening to Audio Library Demos for Inspiration
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 21-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Lord Skorponius
IDMf's latest spammer
Lord Skorponius will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Listening to Audio Library Demos for Inspiration

Who else listens to Audio Library demos for inspiration? I cannot be the only one who does it.

I do it all the time, seriously, I have lost count as to many times I have done it. Last night I spent almost an hour or two listening to Native Instruments Maschine audio demos.

Advertisements

Lord Skorponius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 72010
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,045 Posts
Re: Listening to Audio Library Demos for Inspiration

Donít forget to look at the midi pattern and solo different elements to understand how the groove is built.

Pretty much similar to active listening to your favorite tracks. Iíve done that so much, some favorite tracks ceased to be my favorites.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70660
Thanked 1,413 Times in 914 Posts

I think that's why they're there, TBH. They're incredible tools for inspiration, because you can deconstruct and reconstruct the shit out of them to figure out what the hell is going on.

If you're talking about audio-only, I guess they could almost serve a similar purpose, but having all of the components tends to help the most IMO.

------------------

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
ms_ (22-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589730
Thanked 7,976 Times in 5,605 Posts

It’s all music, even if it just a demo. Not shocked at all this works for the OP. Though sometimes when I get hot with particular flavor of dance music in the studio, I usually stop listening to it. I try to listen to very different kinds of music than what I’m making and see how that influences me to work on another.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135310
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,569 Posts

It's a great way to explore sound design possibilities, especially when you feel stuck with your current progression. Sample libraries often include one-shot isolated sounds (think about percussion, sweeps and other SFXs) that you can deconstruct much easier by listening and follow a similar audio processing and sound origins. I like that some companies often include more detailed description, for example, that library blends organic sounds with some granular synthesis. This brings on a table a great suggestion to do try something similar because you already can hear a result that you really like. Trying to re-create sounds will never lead to exact same copy of a reference you followed and that can push you through a lot. It's quite a steep learning process but can be super fun once you realise you have your very own sample library.

Advertisements

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote