Round 11: IDMf vs. House music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Closed Thread
Old 24-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Icon1 Round 11: IDMf vs. House music

Just something I need to get off my chest:

It is tiresome beyond belief seeing a thread that has to do with house music (or any other beatport-friendly genre) being trolled by people who have nothing better to add other than 'house music is shit'. Especially when said threads are production questions.

Q: "How does one get that wide electro lead sound?"

A1: "You don't make electro. It's abrasive and a fad that needs to die."
A2: "These are idmforums....blah blah blah"

If that's your response - it's lame, and not doing anything other than promote the idea that IDMf is a private little club where everything else gets pissed on for no good reason. I'm all for discussions on the matter, and I want to be clear that I'm referring specifically to the bs trolling that's been happening here a lot lately.

We're all too happy for noise threads, dark techno threads, ambient threads & industrial threads but oh my woes if there's a house or dubstep thread. Your hypocrisy is dismal, and you're judging an entire genre because it's spearheaded by ego-stroking, image-conscious, chart seeking fools. But when you stfu about it for a second, when you take away those idiots (like beatport and their ilk) - you're left with an arrangement of sounds that some people actually enjoy.

And when people who enjoy a particular genre continuously get trolled and made fun of for asking questions - it's disheartening & it makes new members hesitant to ask questions.

That Jesus dude was on to something when he spoke about leading by example, by living in such a way that you don't need to preach to people; your works alone will speak a thousand truths (or something). You're not convincing anyone by trolling - you're coming across as a pretentious fool with nothing better to do. Maybe your heart is in the right place, but your tact is fucked.

People spend more time bashing <insert genre> than they do spending 5 minutes in the LB listening to someone's music giving feedback, helping them grow. And there are some IDM gems in there that get overlooked because people are too busy trolling elsewhere. Want IDM to be the focus? Then show some interest in those who are creating it.

As for the <insert genre> threads: Maybe hold your tongue with the bashing, take a quick listen to what the question is about and try to give some technical / production advice. If you've got nothing constructive to add - hey - you don't need to post in that thread. Go spend that time in the LB instead or start up a white noise or production challenge or something to keep everyone entertained and creative for the week. Happy to sticky those things if people are getting involved.

Damn. That came across as more of a rant than I'd intended, and it's not aimed at anyone in particular, but rather at the trend I've noticed the past few weeks. No hard feelings or anything, and if you think I'm full of shit...hey - I've had my say, it's your turn now .

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 24-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8588730
Thanked 7,956 Times in 5,592 Posts
Re: Round 11: IDMf vs. House music

I didn't want to thank your post and run like I'm not guilty of this. Im not here to judge myself or anyone else but I could be better about being constructive. Community FTW!

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
scyn (25-10-2013)
Old 25-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544727
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,362 Posts

this thread is bullshit.

:edit: i kid, i kid

Last edited by chasedobson; 25-10-2013 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: i kid

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks
Thanks to chasedobson
Automageddon (25-10-2013)
Old 25-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544727
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,362 Posts

as for the house bashing, or dubstep bashing, I think we are all guilty of a little eyesrolling when it comes to these genres.

primarily on my end because a youtube search will get you all the info you ever wanted.

...ultimately, you're right though, and although personally my approach tends to be the sarcastic one, I do give my fair share of advice (and typically more than just RTFM, or use the search button)

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

Most of my viewing in the LB is towards the tracks that I know will not get a lot of views by the posh users. To be completely honest, while I very much enjoy IDM I did not join this forum to talk about IDM. I joined the forum because I liked the respect for music surrounding the community, which I believe aligns with a lot of people on here. However it is pretty intimidating to post a house or a dnb track in the LB because I know it will not be listened to and just shrugged off as another poser track, which is unfortunate considering how much we all value feedback from each other. Pretty much in agreement with scyn.

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109960
Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,426 Posts

I just want to see some effort and creativity in the music shared by and within the community. Genre tag isn't a big deal except certain that genres seem more likely to be formulaic, low effort, bland, filler. I suppose the flip side is that sometimes the other end of musical genres are unlistenable, abrasive, artsy, ridiculousness.

I think much of the trolling comes from people getting burnt out on suggesting to people that they expand their horizons and try something new, instead of copying the latest Youtube make ___ genre in 5 minutes tutorial. I went through a bit of a period where I would listen to tunes in the LB that had no comments, so that people could at least get some feedback. I encountered "LOL I maed this in 10 minutes feedback plox" far to frequently. I am not sure that being silent would be the right approach here, but perhaps I can let people know of my disappointment in a better manner than 'House music always sucks.'

You are right in that even in a "how do I sound like deadmau5?" question (well maybe that question is beyond salvation) there is some way to encourage the person to learn something about synthesis or something else about music production and possibly grow. But when people pop up, create an account, ask 2 questions about how to sound like Deadmau5 and then disappear forever once they discover that it is harder than they thought - my default thought is: why bother? In counseling there is an expression - never work harder than your client.

In conclusion - if someone puts some effort in I will give them my effort back. Otherwise - quit wasting our collective time.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199654568
Thanked 5,106 Times in 3,270 Posts

I'm a primary offender when it comes to this. I keep my mouth shut for a while then, i don't know, the lid just comes off. In the most recent episode last night I was directly asked what my beef was with beatport. So I told him. I'm sorry but pointing people to beatport when they're asking for synth help is beyond me And just as unhelpful as what I did.

I understand what you are saying scyn but on the other hand, by name, this is a niche forum. There are plenty of other places to be found that will be all too happy to discuss dubstep wubs and prog house. I come here to avoid that and speak with like minded people. Not everyone has to agree with me all the time but there are certain things that id think we shoukd all be agreeing about.

So when someone is shocked and appalled by my opinions, I feel it's only natural to point out, that there is a clear cut difference in what you will find here vs what you will find in 90% of the rest of the online electronic music communities.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
RaidenBeats
Not Alive; But Not Dead
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 42410

This thread is basically about RFJ.

------------------
Check out my youtube:

RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199654568
Thanked 5,106 Times in 3,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
This thread is basically about RFJ.
I'm not the only offender on here dude.

Sorry, but I'm not.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

This is a thread addressed to our whole community and not at individuals through a set of PMs for a reason. We could all work on handling topics that bother us.
Old 25-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

those poor teenagers..always takin shit for their 'house'..

they should be able to make repetitive 4x4 techno free from criticism!

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7239129

What gets to me is not the genre-specific set of questions, it's more or less about the following things.

A: Bad thread titles: "How do I make this sound.", without any attempt to describe the sound are the worst. And then the thread contains a youtube video and "the sound at 4:38", where three new sounds come in. Some of these threads aren't even in the correct subforum, which makes it all the worse.
B: No attempt made: Perhaps I'm weird, but I was always taught that it's allright to ask, after you have tried yourself. I get a vibe from a lot of these threads that the people just come here at the first sign of trouble and expect us to fix things without even resorting to a google search first. Especially annoying when they're asking something that can be answered by "stack saw waves".
C: Not being thankful: This is another bad one. Usually, when people get their issue fixed, they rarely take time to thank anyone. They just leave, and the thread disappears. Really doesn't make anyone want to spend the effort helping them. I think people that have thanked me in the Sound Design/Whatever subforum have nearly always been people who just happened to stumble on the thread at random.
D: Being... Bad?: This is not exactly the fault of the people asking, but it still gets on my nerves from time to time. Sometimes, you give them an elegant answer, and it completely misses the mark. Not because it's wrong, but because they can't even understand the answer. I get that everyone starts somewhere, but I wish I could assume basic level of production knowledge of people.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
RaidenBeats
Not Alive; But Not Dead
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Rfj isn't the only offender but he's definitely the biggest offender,

------------------
Check out my youtube:

Old 25-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

So much tension
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
RaidenBeats
Not Alive; But Not Dead
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
I can't stop laughing

------------------
Check out my youtube:

Old 25-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
fidelium
IDMf's Asshole
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
New Orleans
MC Status: 90550420
Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,166 Posts

i like dubstep and wheneer u gais hate on it i cry evvrytime

in all seriousness though, scyn i totally agree with you bro.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
youre our asshole
fidelium is offline   Thanks
Thanks to fidelium
lolirl (16-01-2014)
Old 25-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

House music/Ambient was the gateway for me to IDM. I like house, I tend to like the more ambient, melodic niche.

This forum could be a place for people to expand their horizons and get into stuff that is beyond what is popular.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8588730
Thanked 7,956 Times in 5,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post

In conclusion - if someone puts some effort in I will give them my effort back. Otherwise - quit wasting our collective time.
This so hard.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 25-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

Some people have bad taste in music and that is okay. They just need to be less butthurt when everyone isn't as stoked about the new Avicii album as they are.

Advertisements

Thanks to Oatbag
relic (26-10-2013)
Closed Thread