MP3/FLAC & Headphones
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country
MC Status: 4046847
MP3/FLAC & Headphones

Hi all,

I recently came across a pretty snazzy deal for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones; most of my music library is filled with the highest form of MP3, that being 320kbps.
Would it be recommended to change to FLAC? I travel a fair bit, too - with an iPod Shuffle. I've done a bit of research and iTunes apparently didn't jump on the bandwagon and doesn't support FLAC. Fluke should be a way around this, but what are your views?

Advertisements

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: MP3/FLAC & Headphones

If I'm doing a lot of traveling, I hit the 128 button in iTunes so I can have lots more music on my 8GB. Depending on how big your iPod is and how much traveling you'll be doing between syncs, one option should really be calling out to you. FLAC is just a hassle for me, I don't get it.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210
Re: MP3/FLAC & Headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If I'm doing a lot of traveling, I hit the 128 button in iTunes so I can have lots more music on my 8GB. Depending on how big your iPod is and how much traveling you'll be doing between syncs, one option should really be calling out to you. FLAC is just a hassle for me, I don't get it.
I keep FLACs around to convert down to whatever bitrate mp3 I want for a mobile device. Also, with my best headphones plugged into my computer via a headphone amp, for some particular bits of particular songs the difference between 320 and FLAC becomes noticeable. Sounds like itunes has elements of this quality management built in though, so I can see why you don't bother.

OP:
Unless you're going to get an external DAC/amp for your iPod, 320kbps should be more than enough, regardless of headphones. And even then, the difference is slight, some people aren't bothered by it even when they notice it, so it's a marginal gain at best. If I could choose between 100 full quality songs and 1000 mp3s at or over 192kbps then I'll take the mp3s any day.

Advertisements

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote