At which point to you say fuck it? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924
Re: At which point to you say fuck it?

Oh and Hiya Hellscion! How are you doing man!!!!!!

Advertisements

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
Swede7
Granular Poster
Swede7 has a spectacular aura aboutSwede7 has a spectacular aura aboutSwede7 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Okay, so here goes. There are a lot of comments, a lot of long comments, so I'm not gonna try to tackle them lol. I'mma just throw out my 2 cents in this, hopefully you've figured out what to do. If so, then maybe someone else will see this. If not, then here ya go.

*I'm tired and don't feel like proof reading, spelling errors and dumbass grammar mistakes should be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalzone2000 View Post

Usually I try to be as.... I have been trying to make.... aiming for a "general" crowd.....
Stop... that... stop trying to make your music something specific. Do what's natural. Find your niche. Do not decide to make your music simplistic, do not aim for any crowd, do not try to make your music something that is different from what you feel like making at the time you are making it. deadmau5 did not say "I want all of my music to be meloncholic like 'Faxing Berlin,' cuz thats my sound." He writes in the moment. Thats why you get songs like Ghost's n Stuff and Strobe in the same album. That's why theres a Hip Hop collaboration with Cypress Hill just before his spacy idm collaboration with Imogen Heap on his newest album. And that's (1) reason why he headlines festivals.

Quote:
My aim is to do festivals. That is my goal. Festivals.
Right now, grab some paper. Grab a pen. Write that down. Read it out loud. Say it to yourself. Doing this is going to make things get real, and hopefully it will make you super motivated to actually do it, in a very tangible way.

Quote:
I have been noticing a lot of electronic artists who perform at fest's blah blah blah
Fuck the other electronic artists. There's already enough people doing what they are doing. It's like opening up a small beverage shop next to Starbucks. "I see starbucks is profiting from selling coffee in this shopping center, so maybe I should sell coffee too." No, thats a terrible business plan. Only sell coffee next to starbucks if you make the best damn coffee in the world. If not, do what you do best, whether it be boba, or smoothies, or w/e. In this case, just make the music that YOU want, not what you think other people like.

Find your niche.

Quote:
But anyways, yeah, when do you draw the line, sit back and say "STOP"?
When you: (a) die, or (b) lose your passion for it, to the point where there is nothing that would make you happier than to give up your once-dream, and focus on another aspect of your life, be it your day job, family, or another passion. And that is ok. Sometimes you lose your passion for something. Perhaps you settle down and start a family, and realize that you are more passionate about them than anything else in the world. That is extremely respectable, and totally normal.

But no, you haven't lost your passion. Your frustration with lack of success tells me there is a buurrrnnning desire to accomplish your goals. That's good.

Quote:
but man I gotta get out there and do my thing.
And man, all you gotta do is get out there and do your thing. So here's what you do. You've already written your goals down. Step 1: Check. You've made it farther than most aspiring musicians out there.

Step 2: Buy The Savvy Musician. Excellent book, it will kinda open your eyes to what you gotta do to reach your goals, and what it's like to try to make it in the music industry.

Step 3: Be a business man and entrepreneur. Make your product fucking epic. Figure out a cool way to do a live show, make music that you yourself think is freaking sweet (if you think its great, someone else will too. 7 billion people on this planet, there's no way your opinion is unique). Then start small, look for opportunities to do tiny ass gigs, and impress the world 1 person at a time. 1 person will love you, follow you, and tell their cousin about you. That cousin will tell their friend who's studying abroad. That person tells their friends. Next thing you know you've got students in fucking Sweden blasting your shit in their dorms.

Get a manager after a few performances. Your manager will lay out the steps you need to take, make phone calls, get you gigs (shitty ones at first), and you will say yes to every opportunity. Good and bad ones. Then one day, you get a spot as the first person to perform at the smallest stage of a mid sized festival. Then a couple months later, you'll play early afternoon, on a similar stage. Then you'll play late afternoon on a bigger stage. Next think you know, you'll be last to perform mainstage (w00000t!!).

There you have it, the shortened guide to DJing at a major festival, written by someone who hasn't done it (yet). Hope this helps someone, or gets ridiculed and corrected and ends up helping me haha. Good luck!
Swede7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Sound Knight
Radial Developer
Sound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1410

Hi,
I'm kinda new here so my word prob don't stand for much but had a similar moment/feeling myself recently then things just took a turn for the better.

Recently (actually last weekend) I set aside a day to work in the studio and it was a disaster! I sat all day staring at my DAW screen playing the main loop of my latest track over and over again. I could write nothing, improve nothing, and actually took away 3 parts from the track. At the end of the day felt I had wasted my whole day. I thought about it and decided maybe I donít have the time to put into music. Maybe Iím not as good as I think I am, just because I can DJ well does not mean I can write good house music. After all there are producers out there how can work 9 to 5 five days a week on their stuff and itís always going to be better than mine right?

This is bullshit. Iím not sure if itís just me but if anyone else gets times like this DO NOT GIVE UP!

This morning I recieved an email from a small label wanting to hear more of my music. Regardless of what comes next I recieved 2 emails with positive feedback from 2 labels (1 big & 1 small). This is after countless ďnot for us emailsĒ. Sunday for me was spent thinking about packing the production in and in a strange twist of fate Monday is spent waiting to get home from work as I need to have 2 tracks ready for a label in the next few weeks. People say just make music for yourself and everything else fall into place. I disagree, I make it because I want people to dance to it and they are not going to dance to it if it stays in my studio. Itís frustrating because when things are not going well itís easy to think you are not good enough. If anyone else is feeling like this just remember why you started in the first place and why you have keep going this far.

My goal is not to be some massive superstar, if it was I would not be making deep house. My goal is to walk into a small, dark room in Europe somewhere and hear one of my tracks dropped by a decent DJ and maybe even see a room full of people get down to my work. On Sunday I was about to give up on this modest dream, one day and one email later and Iím closer now than I have ever been.
Sorry for the long winded post but what Iím trying to say is just donít give up when things are not working, it can all change really quickly......
Sound Knight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sound Knight
scyn (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
listen2eleven
Learning The Ropes
listen2eleven is currently spamming hard
VIRGINIA
MC Status: 10

Prime example of how your luck can change overnight, and to never lose sight of the dream! Persevere through the BS, because it clearly pays off! If I ever hit writers block, I usually try to start on a new track, and return to the other at a different time.

Best of luck to you, buddy! Happy to hear the good news!
listen2eleven is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Sound Knight
Radial Developer
Sound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1410

Thanks man.
Also metalzone2000 with regards to simplicity and theory my advice is to stop everything you are doing and get stuck into music theory. The guys who are best at the minimal sound you are talking about dont just write like that because they cant string chords together. They use techniques like counterpoint so their minimal sound really grabs you. A lot of the time when it sounds like there is not much going on in that sense you find they have followed the rules of counterpoint to a tee and thats why their limited number of instruments playing together sound awesome.

You cant learn counterpoint without basic music theory but once you have both your eyes will be opened. Also this is the point for me where writers block got hammered to the wall! Chords help write the bass lines, basline help write the leads & arps and when you know the rules you can start breaking them and thats where it gets interesting.......
Sound Knight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Disclosure
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
DigiTronX
Learning The Ropes
DigiTronX will become famous soon enoughDigiTronX will become famous soon enough
Baltimore, MD
MC Status: 110

I'd say you need to find a good middle ground. Overly simple music is boring. But overly complex music with too many things going on is overwhelming.

As for the song structure and layout part, I too struggle with it. I think the hardest part about making any kind of art is being overly critical. I think that you need to sort of let yourself go and just let it flow naturally. Wether that means making a traditional verse/hook/verse/hook layout or just a long build up that just eventually ends. And that is what makes it all unique I think, just letting it build itself almost. And one of the biggest down falls is worrying over perfection. Nothing in life is perfect, so why should art be either.
DigiTronX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DigiTronX
Muse-ic (06-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
ESKOBARR
Minor Glitch
ESKOBARR will become famous soon enoughESKOBARR will become famous soon enough
Up North, England
MC Status: 110

For the past 3 Years of producing i have desired to sound the next big thing...

It doesn,t work , I took some time out and come to the relisation that if i just do my own thing and make music what i like and like listening to then this has to be bettter.

So I set out to this and lone behold my music sounds alot better I no longer worry about sounding like everyone else.

Guess what i,m saying is if you make music for yourself with your own style it is unique and at the moment people are looking for something which is fresh & unique , you say you have your own sound, own style...but worry what people think....stuff it

Only one way to find out, go for it
ESKOBARR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ESKOBARR
Muse-ic (11-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

release singles, and NEVER GIVE UP

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
release singles, and NEVER GIVE UP

THE FORGER - Another Breakdown - YouTube
lol

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote