Is Music School worth it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
B4ckdraft
Regular Freak
B4ckdraft will become famous soon enoughB4ckdraft will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Is Music School worth it?

I see all these different schools online that are specifically for people looking to become a producer like dubspot and sonic academy and Icon Collective Production School . I'm wondering is it worth it? A lot of these schools are extremely expensive and I know a lot of really big producers that didn't go and really big ones that did. Basically I've been producing for about 2-3 years and I work on music for about 6 hours a day while pursuing a career as a firefighter paramedic. But as a firefighter you only work 10 days a month and I'm wanting to chase my dream as a second career. I'm 21 years old right now and will be 23 as a firefighter so I'll have about 4 to 5 years of experience. Basically I don't know if going to an expensive producer school will be worth it especially with all of the free information that's out on the internet and forums these days and I just want some opinions and if anyone has been in this same situation please let me know what you did

Advertisements

B4ckdraft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527
Re: Is Music School worth it?

Oh yes it is!!!

I've done berklee studies and I can't recommend schooling enough. If you can afford it, go for it. if not, don't sweat it. Just spend as much time as you can online learning.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
B4ckdraft
Regular Freak
B4ckdraft will become famous soon enoughB4ckdraft will become famous soon enough

Okay cool! I'm looking at going to some specific school like Iconic Producer school or dupspot or something because I know they have some online courses and it'd probably work out better to do it online for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Divercity
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC

If anything go for either berklee or Icon.

If you want more of a technical approach go to berklee. If you want a program based around more of an artist go with Icon.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
B4ckdraft
Regular Freak

I don't know what I want. Can you explain the difference?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Divercity

Berklee: get indepth with the technical. Sound design, production, technique, well versed tutors all around etc. more of a technical approach

Icon: Get in depth with the artistic side. Learn about creativity, amazing environment, flow, business, fundamentals with synths etc and general production. More of a creative and artistic approach.

I went through berklee and have gone through Icon collective's virtual curriculum tour.

------------------
Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
B4ckdraft
Regular Freak

hmm mapybe I'll go to both. I'll have more time than I know what to do with once I'm a firefighter.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Divercity

Go towards what you feel pulled to. Fuck what anyone says mate.

Don't let fear stop you but plan realistically.

------------------
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
B4ckdraft
Regular Freak

Will do! Thanks for the info!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

what about studying music/musical instrument too? it is worth;
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Berklee seems awesome. Get a tour of the school if you can. It's good for networking too.
I went to Columbia College of Chicago and it was great also, but I kept studying a lot on my own and it helped fill in the computer science gaps.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

A lot of extraordinary artists are trained at what they do, but there are plenty of dedicated, self-taught ones as well. If school is an option for you, I think it's a good investment / very worth doing. Being a firefighter is cool as shit though, so why not have both?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

It depends on what you are going there for. If you have no idea what to do after graduating dont take it please. Other wise you'll be wasting your money.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
If anything go for either berklee or Icon.

If you want more of a technical approach go to berklee. If you want a program based around more of an artist go with Icon.
Both very good schools and well respected.I went to Fullsail back in the very very early 90's (94) after college( my head Engineer made me LOL )..but back then it was mainly geared toward recording and mixing and to be honest was very much about the student much more hands on then coursebook. Now they seem to have more of a churn um and burn type curriculum.Still a decent school though and plenty of campuses in the States.

Never have enough school..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Albert Wesker
Minor Glitch
Albert Wesker is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I learnt so much from college and university music courses, but the majority you learn at home on your own through experimenting and putting things into practice. I would say it really helps though and is definitely worthwhile.

Advertisements

Albert Wesker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote