Australian tastes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 20-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France
MC Status: 1210
Australian tastes

Hi guys !
As I'm moving soon to Melbourne, Australia, I'd like to have some advices about Australian tastes, and what kind of music is played in your clubs.
I'm a french DJ and producer mixing french house/nu disco and deep house and I'd like to play my live set which is made of tracks by artists such as Justice, Sebastian, Daft Punk, Stardust, NightRiders, Alan Braxe, etc... And I'd like to know if this music is appreciated by Australian people.
Which club would you advice me to try ? What are the best clubs to go out in Melbourne ? And are there some Melbourne inhabitants here ? I'd really loved to talk about music and about the city.
Thank you, have a nice day

Advertisements

------------------
Opium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560
Re: Australian tastes

Justice/Daft punk and that kinda stuff will go down well.. If you're a french DJ really push the "FRENCH ELECTRO DJ FROM PARIS (random city cause you didn't mention it), FRANCE, EUROPE ACTUALLY NOT AUSTRALIAN" Thing people like that.. There's too many local DJs because it's so far away people crave foreign DJs the more exotic the better.

But most clubs here play American club or 90s golden era hip-hop.. Techno is becoming bigger and bigger.. but no EDM genre has over-taken hip-hop in my lifetime. You'll probably need some in your arsenal.

If you're gonna play Deep House I dunno.. you could find the right place but it's not the mainstream thing here. That would usually be found in some sorta chillout/basement room. People here have always loved and still love French house/techno/electro of the energetic persuasion.

The illegal/semi-illegal rave scene is dominated by Drum n Bass, Breakbeat, Dubstep, Psytrance and Hardstyle. There's definitely room for some good house/techno parties there ("Bush doofs" are another experience I gotta say) I hope it's coming up. Local producers make a lot of Dubstep, "Wonky" (Flying Lotus style) Hip hop and IDM. So that kinda stuff goes down well depending what kind of event you're at.

I'm in Sydney.. I've heard Melbourne is better for niche/EDM genres.

Last edited by ZheNhir; 21-09-2013 at 08:20 AM..

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
www.zhenhir.com ( streaming player )
| Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
///n||h||i||r/|>>/endspam
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ZheNhir
Opium (21-09-2013)
Old 21-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France

Thank you for the reply. I have a way better idea of what are the expectations. I think that I should insist on the fact that I'm french yes, because it's true that we have a culture that is really ruled by our artists and DJ's (Yuksek, Daft, Justice, Sebastian, Surkin, Jackson, Busy P, Gesaffelstein, etc...).

I think I will put a bit of old school hip hop in my set, the way Brodinski does it, but it's clear that 30% of my set is made of french house/nu disc and 30% of deep/progressive house.

I don't bear a lot of interest to dubstep/d'n'b/hardstyle, etc... It's too showy for me, but I'd be glad to mix experiences, to try a quite big nightclub and a chill room to see how people react compared to the french crowd (who is quite hard to satisfy).

But yeah, Melbourne is really attractive, I look forward to going there, it's gonna be really different from the French ambient.

------------------
Old 22-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

I'm in Melbourne, but I stopped going to clubs regularly during the trance infestation of the mid nineties, (still can't listen to that shit).
You shouldn't have much problem getting gigs playing house etc; Melbourne is a lot more diverse than Sydney in that respect. Couldn't tell you what the best nights/clubs for that sort of thing these days is, (changes so quickly anyway), a quick internet search would probably help there though.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Even in Sydney french house is pretty on demand actually.. (especially if it's played by a French DJ)

People here just love all the artists you've mentioned and Birdy Nam Nam and stuff like that too..

Actually Australians will go apeshit if you play "Manual for successful rioting" I think you should do it.

I don't know.. The Aussie club scene is a little odd.. We don't really dance as much as other people across the world.. yet we kinda demand danceable music at all times. Drunk Australians want to hear songs they know, but if you play the right place that shouldn't be a problem.
I might even go as far to say that Daft Punk is a tiny bit over-played in Aussie clubs.. go for the obscure cuts maybe?

You can avoid Dubstep/DnB/Hardstyle/Psy.. it's really got it's own audience.. They play warehouse shows and bush doofs and student nights and that sorta stuff.

To be honest if you were to advertise yourself as French, and playing a French electro night.. You would be giving everyone exactly what they'd expect from a French Electro night I have no doubt you'll find your audience sounds like your passion is for the stuff Aussies know and love and some more stuff that they could easily come to know and love.

Also.. I think the club scene and the traditional FM radio are actually pretty connected here. Look into advertising there. Check out inthemix.com.au.. it's a bit of a bloated site but it's popularity will give you a good insight into Australia's tastes. Plus every section of the country has it's own sub-forum. So you can see for yourself that French electro will go down better in places like Inner city Melbourne, North Shore Sydney and Brisbane/Gold coast.

Oh and future welcome and nice to have you in our country and all that

Last edited by ZheNhir; 22-09-2013 at 04:21 AM..

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
www.zhenhir.com ( streaming player )
| Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
///n||h||i||r/|>>/endspam
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Opium
Microknight
Strasbourg, France

Hey thank you man, you gave me a lot of useful informations there. My set is actually getting pretty huge as I'm changing a bit the tracklist, I think it's gonna be even better than the one I played here in France. I can't wait to play some good music with a different crowd.

Another question, which might look stupid but which I think is not. How much a guest DJ is paid in these cities ? I'm actually earning 300 for a 3 hours mix in France, which is the equivalent of 430AUD. Does anyone know the wage of a middle-range guest DJ in Melbourne ?

Advertisements

------------------