[Baritone] Vlantis - Green Grass of Tunnel (Múm cover)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421888129
Thanked 5,203 Times in 3,005 Posts
[Baritone] Vlantis - Green Grass of Tunnel (Múm cover)

Here is a cover I made of a Múm song. It's part of a cover EP I'm finishing up to get me back into music mode and complete my "actual" next release. It's a simple take on the original. I still need to do some tweaking.

EDIT: My youtube vid already has a dislike. It might be a case of sounding better in context with the other songs, or perhaps my self-indulgent singing voice is better suited for other stuff.

EDIT 2: I'm flat when I say "fall asleep." I will be correcting that and a couple other vocal glitches.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The original:

Last edited by Vlantis; 02-07-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Baritone] Vlantis - Green Grass of Tunnel (Múm cover).
Old 03-07-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
E-Fence
Granular Poster
E-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110
Re: [Baritone] Vlantis - Green Grass of Tunnel (Múm cover)

after just listening to the original I was hoping for an electro almost vapor wave cover, which is not what I got listening to your cover. Pretty good, but is not what I was hoping for.
E-Fence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Fence View Post
after just listening to the original I was hoping for an electro almost vapor wave cover, which is not what I got listening to your cover. Pretty good, but is not what I was hoping for.
Sorry dude, I don't even know what vapor wave sounds like (but I know the term!). I'm very uncool.

When I cover stuff I try to make it as different as I can from the original, since it's more fun for me. The original has a lot of elements and is pretty ethereal (and very electronic), so a straightforward three-chord piano thing seemed like an interesting idea.

Thanks for giving it a listen, though.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70660
Thanked 1,413 Times in 914 Posts

I was really hoping for a bigger instrumental climax or drastic change in instrumentation toward the end, but TBH your vocals make the entire track anyway. I checked out the video for reference and honestly I wouldn't even know this was a cover if you hid them far enough apart on a mixtape. Yours is obviously better, but maybe I just don't appreciate the original.

This is totally unexpected from you though, and such a drastic change from your usual style. I'm glad to see you're making a covers EP but I'd be really interested in hearing some originals in this vein, FWIW. I think you've really come a long way with this, in terms of both mixing and singing. This is good stuff.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I was really hoping for a bigger instrumental climax or drastic change in instrumentation toward the end, but TBH your vocals make the entire track anyway. I checked out the video for reference and honestly I wouldn't even know this was a cover if you hid them far enough apart on a mixtape. Yours is obviously better, but maybe I just don't appreciate the original.

This is totally unexpected from you though, and such a drastic change from your usual style. I'm glad to see you're making a covers EP but I'd be really interested in hearing some originals in this vein, FWIW. I think you've really come a long way with this, in terms of both mixing and singing. This is good stuff.
Awesome, holy shit, thank you so much!

Yeah, it's kind of a relentless three-chord piano assault. I think I need to get some more nuance in there velocity-wise, but that's why I posted it in the LB. Again, I think it works better in context with the rest of the EP, as the other tracks have much more going on.

All of the music is finished for my next release, and I have temp vocals for three songs finished. I lost my my slowly-growing music vibe when I moved in October, but have been getting it back. My IDMf50 submission is along these lines, so we shall see....

Thank you again for the kind words. My style and mixing continues to change, and I quite like what I'm doing, it just takes me longer now.

Edit: I would PM you some stuff, but you have that option disabled?

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook