[RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2nd**
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 15-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199654568
Thanked 5,106 Times in 3,270 Posts
[RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2nd**

**Revised 12/02/14**

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
& [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Present...

Pay what you want or don't pay anything at all download now available via [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But Together We'll Take Them By Storm leaves listeners hanging on the precipice of a visionó one of madness, chaos and beauty. The broken and cleaved beats swim among disembodied voices and search after soft-spoken sonar blips, hidden between synthetic textures. While But Together We'll Take Them By Storm fits neatly into an established niche in some respects its timbres, its voice, are all its own, and will leave you on the edge of some kind of knowing. -Aaron M. Smith

Out Now

Credits

All Tracks Written & Composed by - Grain Bastard & RFJ
Mixed by - RFJ
Mastered by - Grain Bastard
Blurb & Other Written Information - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Released via the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Stuff

GB & RFJ would like to thank [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for penning our blurb and composing our 10 part questionnaire / interview in text that was be posted in this space leading up to release. We'd also like to thank all our friends in the Independent Electronic Music Community, without the inspiration you all have provided this would not have been possible.

---

This music was designed to be played at high volume so, sit down, turn it up, and enjoy!

-----

Last edited by RFJ; 02-12-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6760
Re: [RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2n

Congratulations guys

The preview sounds stellar.

Always nice with something good to look forward to.

I will wait impatiently for the rest of the album.

Cheers and :mayonesa:

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
Re: [RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbj View Post
Congratulations guys

The preview sounds stellar.
Hey thanks man for checking out the thread and listening to the preview, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbj View Post
Always nice with something good to look forward to.

I will wait impatiently for the rest of the album.
We'll have a few things between now and the official release date to tide you over so waiting around hopefully won't be so boring. Probably get to starting that stuff on Monday...or so.

Thanks again, see you soon, etc...

------------------
Old 16-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105322889
Thanked 1,095 Times in 849 Posts

This sounds beautiful, Congrats to you both. This is a very anticipated release from two IDMf powerhouses.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i prefer the sage. makes me truly believe the unbelievable.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Awesome, can't wait to hear it, listening in now...
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

that track was sublime <3
Old 16-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

^Excellent! Glad you liked it.

That was the fourth track we made, the track list is in sequential order from our first effort to last, and that piece came together as summer came to a close. I think it kind of sounds as such too.

Thanks for the support you guys, both in the past and continued now. It means a lot, seriously.

------------------
Old 16-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589030
Thanked 7,962 Times in 5,596 Posts

Big up ya'll : )

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Okay, like I said in the OP, our good friend [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
was kind enough to draft GB and I some questions about all manner of things as related to this release. I was fully expecting a list of 10 single line questions but he really went above / beyond and really put some thought into these. The questions range from production, to promo, to what it's like to collaborate, concept, planning and many things in between that bring ample opportunity for rambling. We've broken it up into 10 parts that will be made available for reading, one piece at a time, starting today and leading up to release, 12/02.

If there's anything anyone should like to know along the way, feel free to speak up, and if it's not already addressed, or addressed in something that's coming, one of us will be happy to answer.

So, without further ado...

-----

The Questionnaire
A Conversation in Text
As Written by Aaron M. Smith
Answered by Grain Bastard & RFJ

Part 1 of 10

AMS: What has the process been like for you two? A logistic answer is great, but hearing about anything more abstract/creativity centered would be great. Did someone start all the songs, someone else finish them? Was someone on drums, someone on melody/harmony? How did the process work out in your opinion? Feel free to vent frustrations and trumpet triumphs.

GB: How we started was to simply split the task between us - I did the drums/percussion and RFJ did the melody, arrangement & mixing. We both felt that a constant back and forth of stems/project files would be a nightmare so we tried to keep the collab process as simple as possible. We didn't plan on keeping it like that for the entire release (to be honest we didn't plan a release as such!!) but it seemed to work, so we carried it thru.

So for me it was a matter of making either a complete arranged drum track or a selection of consecutive loops to chop & arrange as required. I think the first couple I was 'holding back' a little as I'm aware my percussion can contain 'tonal elements' which effect what melody etc you can put with them. I didn't want to force RFJ down any pre-decided route, so maybe I would have changed a couple of things in the first couple of tracks had I known how well he would handle them. By the latter tracks I was confident of not scaring him off so more or less did what I would for a solo release.

I did struggle a little with context as I would normally do a bit of drum work, add some melody/synth etc, then add more drums/percussion to suit but I hadn't got that. I basically tried to make drums that would sound good completely on their own but still leave room for RFJ to work. It also mean't that I set the tempo of the track and sometimes the arrangement, which again was a 'pressure' of sorts.

I pretty much just did my thing and once the first couple of tracks were done, the pressure was off and I just did my thing. Hearing what and how he had used the file (it was never more than a single stereo wav file) was ace and confidence grew with each track as a result imo.

---

RFJ: Have you ever met someone and from the first introduction it was like you had known them your whole life? Well that’s kind of how it felt for me after we finished up our first attempt. I must say though when he brought up the idea of working together, back in late January of this year, I thought I might be in over my head. Don’t get me wrong though doing this had been in the back of my mind as 2013 drew to a close but when it became somehting that actually might happen I began to question if I could do it or not.

I was just coming off IDMf043 and think I had made a remix for AEP / Ben Steed and, honestly, I was wondering if I had any more tracks left in me. Novation was running a contest during the month of February that both he and I had entered. We agreed to wait until we were finished with that project before starting, mainly at my behest because I only work on one thing at once, then we got right to it. It seems like as soon as he and I hit the submit button on that Novation thing he had me a file almost immediately. Then it became real and at that point an immense feeling of challenge began to set in.

That’s how it began and thats how it continued on throughout the work. He’d send over a drumtrack in a single .wav file and it was then my job to give what he sent it’s context and arrangement. It was a daunting task going in but, like I said earlier, from the moment I started it was like we had been working this way for a while. I think that’s because in large part we played to our strengths and didn’t try and be something we aren’t already are in our own respective works.

Last edited by RFJ; 17-11-2014 at 08:35 PM..

------------------
Old 17-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
MC Status: 2422521

the introduction of the track made me smile i like the IDM stuff going on in the middle, sounds very abstract, trippy in a way

glad to see the king and RFJ collaborating , nice work you guys!
Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

^Ha! The King is most certainly right man. He really shines on the rest ofthe release too. Percussion work to melt your face is what it is and a truly humbling experience for me to be brought along for the ride.

Thanks for checking out the preview and for the comments. Glad that intro put a smile on your face. Chords there are a self made patch from NI's Absynth, lo-fied and effected in Live. Operator for the delayed bits on top I think it was.

------------------
Old 20-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 2 of 10

AMS: I know that Grain Bastard currently employs some hardware in his process and that RFJ used to use hardware--how did hardware figure into this production? What has hardware taught you about electronic music creation regardless if you still use it? It is certainly a much more expensive and dare I say tedious route compared to working all "in the box".

---

GB: The only hardware I used in the release was the OP-1 - Battery is my drum sampler of choice so the majority of work was there. I don't really worry about where the sounds come from, be it a hardware box or a computer, its just sound to me!!! The 'avoiding a computer for music' is possibly the most ridiculous thing I see on the internet at the moment. I've no idea why musicians would shun such a powerful tool, certainly not electronic musicians anyway.

I like the OP-1 because of its portability - I'm not talking about going to the park and sitting under a tree or anything twee like that but I can sit in my living room and make something usable without having to go upstairs to my studio. I like my iPad for that reason too, making use of half an hour in the evening after work etc.

I am quite happy with FM8 over a DX-7 all day long

---

RFJ: GB can tell you about the hardware in more detail than I but I believe the OP-1 was used heavily in what you hear in the drumwork. For me, you are correct, everything I do and everything I have done here is all ITB work and, with the exception of one synth patch in track three that was made using NIís Absynth, itís exclusively using Live devices. Hardware taught quite a bit about the nuts and bolts of basic sound design, OSC types, how LFOís and filters work, etc. I guess if I had to apply what hardware taught me to this release it would be, mainly, how to design a patch.

You wonít hear any ground breaking earth shattering patches that have never been heard before in this release. But what you will hear, in my opinion, is a collection of hand made sounds that work very well together track by track, and even sounds that work with one another across the entirety of the release. I think the record as a whole has a cohesive sound and the best way to achieve that, again in my opinion, is to make each sound specifically for the piece itís used in as opposed to trying to fit / tweak some presets together, or even pulling from a folder of self made patches that were made in advance but not particularly made for one another. Hardware taught me how to do this. Make a sound then make the next sound with the previously made sound in mind.

See, I donít mind being ďtied to a computerĒ as some would say. In fact being released from the confines of a step sequencer with a limited number of steps was probably the best thing thatís happened to me from a compositional standpoint since Iíve seriously been doing this type of thing. Donít get me wrong though, Iím not saying my way is best or that Iím the best at it. I know plenty of people who employ other methods than what I have described who employ them very well. Itís just, for me, thatís what works and is probably one of my favorite parts of composing a piece of electronic music- making sounds to go with other sounds that I previously made, on a per track basis, then starting the process all over again for the next thing that Iím going to do.

------------------
Old 22-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 3 of 10

AMS: Another creative question, was there some kind of theme, planning or "board meeting" on what you two wanted to accomplish with this album before you started and did you stick to it? Or was it more throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck and what was that like? Which ever way you worked, to each of you, was this how you typically work? If not, how did you find working this way?

---

GB: I covered a bit of this in my other answers. We pretty much tried the one formula of me sending the percussion to RFJ and then I received the finished track to master!!! There was no back and forth at all other than RFJ wanting to fix the odd thing in the mix he wasn't happy with. That formula worked really well from the off so we carried it on to see what would come of it in terms of output.

Like I said earlier, I don't normally make my beats in total isolation to the other elements in a track because of the fx and processing I like to put on my percussion sometimes creates melodic elements in the resulting audio. i tend to start with a basic beat, add some fx, then maybe a synth or two, some more percussion and maybe tweak the original beat to get things fitting together.....probably what hundreds of other solo producers do, so suddenly having to just write a fully arranged drum part for a yet created tune was a bit strange. I love percussion and drum processing so I was really happy to be doing it but programming fills and drops etc without the guidance of the tune wasn't much fun to begin with if I'm honest. I was also really concious of passing over something totally 'blank' to work with, so I didn't go mad with the first couple - As soon as I got the first track back from RFJ I was really buzzing. I just thought, 'ok, that's worked'

As the tracks went on I felt that it didn't matter what I sent over, as he just lapped it up!!!

---

RFJ: I think I remember trying to have a little planning session after we finished the first track. I’ve always liked the idea of generative methods. Always have, but never employed them in much of my work to speak of. It’s the idea of them that I like more than anything I guess. I remember sending over a list of questions to GB and one of them was “how do you feel about generative methods?” He’s pretty good with communication and responding in detail but I don’t believe he had much to say about planning other than something to the effect of “why fix what’s not broken?” Those are my words, not his, but what he said was, in effect, tantamount to that.

I do remember rather early on however saying look, if we are really going to spend the time swapping files thousands of miles across the ocean we should really try and put something more substantial together as opposed to a one off or something and try and have something to present when it’s all said and done. Honestly, these days I’m not too interested in tossing up a one off on SC or something. In my opinion if you have a reasonable level of ability and you’re going to put any amount of time into a track it deserves finishing. If it deserves finishing it deserves a greater context. So bearing that in mind I told him if he was game I’d commit and make this my project for the year.

As far as throwing something against the wall and seeing what stuck I’d say there was very little of that because we took five tries and wound up with five tracks. We finished everything we started and everything, in our opinion, held up in the context of a release. In my opinion that’s the best way to work be it in collaboration or otherwise. I finish everything, no matter what, every time. In fact, I haven’t binned a track or made even a noodle since late 2011 I think it must be now. I’ve said it before but perhaps it bears mentioning again; I think there is a track in everything you just have to be willing to sit there and find it. Being as the drumwork was so stellar though the ownness was on me to bring something respectable enough to, well, give what he had done the proper respect it deserved.

------------------
Old 23-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 4 of 10

AMS: Personally, I know each of your styles and flavors pretty well--did either of you feel like you were crossing into new territory with this project? If so, tell us about that. If not, tell us about how the collaboration helped you explore new layers in old territory (if you take my meaning).

---

GB: As I just had to concentrate on percussive parts, I pretty much just did beats that I would like - we did agree on the tempo of each track before hand, so that kind of dictates what sort of track you end up with and what types of sounds I would use.

The biggest difference was having my whole CPU & DSP cards power for just the drums!!! I could really go to town with the processing, so this was the biggest change to my normal working. The beats i made are just more processed versions of what i would use in my solo work tho.

---

RFJ: For this project, as I said in question 1 I think, I really wanted to play to my strengths as much as possible. Not play it safe, per se, but I wanted to take what I knew I could do, refine it, and hopefully do it a little better than I had before. That was my plan for the year actually even prior to this coming along. I wanted to apply what I had learned in my last release, further said techniques, and add a few more. It was my intention to accomplish this mostly via remix projects, and the occasional IDMf comp, but when this came up it fit that mold of applying, refining, and learning quite nicely.

I did get into some bass experiments, again nothing earth-shattering or new mind you, but the experiments, all be them simple in nature, were new to me. Usually it’s just a very simple bass thing I throw in somewhere along the way to fill things out but with tracks 1, 4, and 5, I tried to have the bass take a bit of a different role than I had in things I’ve made in the past.

It’s actually mix technique, for me, that has improved the most over the course of this release. That’s the funny thing though about making something over the course of the year. When it’s done, by virtue of the work, you have improved. As a result, things you thought were perfect four months prior, begin to reveal things that could have been done better. For me the thing that was most revealed when we were “done” was impact, specifically, a lack thereof in some places. So, being as we weren’t up against a deadline, I went back in and remixed three of the five tracks we had done from the ground up. Bussed some things, compressed some things, shelved some things, saturated and distorted some things, venturing into new territory mainly in search of clarity and impact. I guess if I had to break your answer down into one line it would be…

Because of the things I learned while making the previous track, and the things I’ll learn in the next, I would hope that every track I’d make would be a venture into some new territory, in one way or another, for me.

------------------
Old 26-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 5 of 10

AMS: I think I'm correct in remembering that RFJ mixed the album and that Grain Bastard mastered it. GB, how was it giving up control of the mix, do you feel like RFJ did anything interesting/different you wouldn't have thought of? RFJ, I believe I'm right in assuming you've only begun playing with the 2 bus--did you learn anything, suggesting anything, influence anything in regards to the final mastering process?

---

GB: It was great handing the mixing over to RFJ - I basically got to have fun with samplers full of noises, a load of CPU/DSP and then stuck the file on dropbox. Within no time I get a link to a finished track!!! Total stress free production - lol

I didn't have any input on the mix. I think that having the defined roles probably made the project work. I guess the mutual respect for each others music helped too. I knew leaving the mix to RFJ would be fine

The 'mastering' was nothing more than some basic eq and limiting to match the levels to each other. I certainly wouldn't call myself a mastering engineer but if you can use an eq & compressor to mix with, you can perform a basic master IMO - it can be a controversial subject but i see no reason for excluding the mastering process from the revolution in home recording. The same as we can get acceptable mixes with home DAW's we can get acceptable masters imo.

---

RFJ: Yes thatís correct GB mastered this release for us, I mixed it. Oddly enough the mastering process wasnít discussed all that much beyond, well, this right hereÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard
Ok, so I've made a stab at the files and basically did what I could on the files without going to any extremes with stuff, so gentle compression, touch of eq & tape and then some limiting to hopefully get the volumes similar and to a commercial type of level. The titles are shortened at this stage just for making it easier to handle my end but of course 1 is track 1 etc

The 2nd version of track 5 is a more aggressive approach which cannot be right imo but was more akin to the reference tracks I was using. Basically I tried a couple of options and the main thing is tape speed - 15ips is dark 30ips brightens. I haven't included and 30ips bright masters as they had way too much top end and the version 2 of track 5 is also 15ips but has some quite extreme eq removing even more of the top end!!!
I mean there was a ton of process related talk, mainly as a result of questions that came from me about the drum programing, but thatís as technical as it got as related to the final process in the release. He had already mastered a track for me once, just before we got going on this project, so I knew the tracks were in good hands and suggested nothing.

Honestly, I would have known the tracks were in good hands without having that one off mastered to begin with based simply on his prior works and production knowledge in general. Both the mix and the masters, in my opinion, turned out being very solid and I couldn't be happier with the overall way the record sounds. I think there was a spirit of mutual trust throughout all processes actually and thatís the primary thing that made this practically effortless to see through to the end, or the beginning, depending upon how we look at it.

------------------
Old 26-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #16
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Shanghai
MC Status: 272303320
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,663 Posts

WHAT.

OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME.

*hyperventilates*

------------------
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #17
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

If it isn't the illustrious Ben Steed!

Your support in the past and now mean a great deal. Having friends that I have never met is both a strange and wonderful thing at the same time...thanks for turning up and thanks in advance for checking out the release when it, ah, drops.

------------------
Old 26-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #18
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Shanghai
MC Status: 272303320
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
If it isn't the illustrious Ben Steed!

Your support in the past and now mean a great deal. Having friends that I have never met is both a strange and wonderful thing at the same time...thanks for turning up and thanks in advance for checking out the release when it, ah, drops.

Much love, brother.

I still owe you a PM, my bad.

I can't wait for this release, though. Sounds wonderful! Also, amazing title.

------------------
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #19
Muse-ic
Wanderer

I love the commentary, very awesome. The written word spoken well illuminates a different dimension. <3
Old 26-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute
Edinburgh
MC Status: 2910

Cool

Advertisements

------------------
I have nothing new for you to listen to.
2DC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote