[abstract/glitch/idm] sm - path one
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135310
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,569 Posts
[abstract/glitch/idm] sm - path one

w u t

Last edited by ms_; 02-06-2018 at 12:44 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [abstract/glitch/idm] sm - path one.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70860
Thanked 1,417 Times in 917 Posts
Re: [abstract/glitch/idm] sm - path one

I probably already shared a few thoughts on this the other day, but I'm going in for round two

When I first heard this I was expecting it to morph into breakcore because the percussive elements (at times) sound like they're going to form a consistent pattern.

It actually sounds like the perfect intro to an Analepsy album or something. Your design is so on-par that it's hard to not think of it as the most insane intro to something maybe a more generic, or like part of a videogame soundtrack. It's weird to hear something so well-produced within its own context.

You're onto something 4 realz.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Artificer
Eternal Echoer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 46460

Yeah, good stuff. Best bits for me were 1:07-!:25 and the outro from about 2:40 on. The whole thing manages to have movement without turning into a chaotic mess, and all the elements are well balanced. I really liked the repetitive percussive bits that came around at the end - I'm guessing those arose naturally as opposed to being programmed?

The things I like most about this project are where the source material is almost recognizable, like you're holding something common up to a broken mirror. It's an ethos that I've been pursuing years, and there's some really strong elements of it here. The vocal/formant stuff that I'm guessing this is based on almost comes through at points and reminds you that there's an organic element somewhere in it.

Not really a criticism, but the only comment I have is that the glitch stuff can get overused. Like the part around the 1:00 mark, it sounds like something out of Michael Bay's Transformers. It thankfully doesn't go on too long, but a little bit goes a long way with stuff like that, at least for me.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135310
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I probably already shared a few thoughts on this the other day, but I'm going in for round two

When I first heard this I was expecting it to morph into breakcore because the percussive elements (at times) sound like they're going to form a consistent pattern.

It actually sounds like the perfect intro to an Analepsy album or something. Your design is so on-par that it's hard to not think of it as the most insane intro to something maybe a more generic, or like part of a videogame soundtrack. It's weird to hear something so well-produced within its own context.

You're onto something 4 realz.
These pieces are short and most of the time I try to avoid repetition, like, no sound repeats unless it’s some sort of rhythmic layer. I fed up with this classic intro>part1>breakdown>part2>end approach I’ve been over-using way too often, it’s so lame. This piece, it’s like it’s going somewhere but it never reaches anything because I completely decided to go against any track structure I know. It's like playing Lego, you pick random parts and see if they fit together, all parts fit in some cases but, anyways... I want everything to bit more left-field but it’s possible that these shorter pieces could work as a glue between some longer pieces. Now it’s a bit more like a filler so I have to decide what’s this all thing about. Two ways: make it bit like a techno or do something halfstep/breakcorishs. I don’t even know right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Yeah, good stuff. Best bits for me were 1:07-!:25 and the outro from about 2:40 on. The whole thing manages to have movement without turning into a chaotic mess, and all the elements are well balanced. I really liked the repetitive percussive bits that came around at the end - I'm guessing those arose naturally as opposed to being programmed?

The things I like most about this project are where the source material is almost recognizable, like you're holding something common up to a broken mirror. It's an ethos that I've been pursuing years, and there's some really strong elements of it here. The vocal/formant stuff that I'm guessing this is based on almost comes through at points and reminds you that there's an organic element somewhere in it.

Not really a criticism, but the only comment I have is that the glitch stuff can get overused. Like the part around the 1:00 mark, it sounds like something out of Michael Bay's Transformers. It thankfully doesn't go on too long, but a little bit goes a long way with stuff like that, at least for me.
For some reason I included these cymbals at the end which aren’t processed and very real but that’s the only trve organic sound, if I understand what organic sound is (sound source comes from foley, field recordings, I assume). Same with that snare that peaks from time to time, but it’s multilayered with a bunch of other stuff. All the rest is FM synthesis meets granular, backwards and forwards so everything loses their true identity pretty quick with effects in between. For more organic taste, reverb does the trick. In that bit you liked around 1 minute, it puts all these sounds into a small room, in that way they feel more vegan while the dry signal is an absolute artificial source.Also, I agree that you can’t glitch for 10 minutes straight because you get that randomness sense and being overwhelmed with sounds can be as boring so no way this track is finished.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Cool dark sounds. It reminds me of a bit of Rob Clouth, an idm/glitch artist I've liked

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
zdr
IDMf's latest spammer
zdr is currently spamming hard
Sofia
MC Status: 10

Seconding what Vault ))) said, when that snare hit I was expecting it to turn into a scary breakcore track... so
Quote:
Now it’s a bit more like a filler so I have to decide what’s this all thing about. Two ways: make it bit like a techno or do something halfstep/breakcorishs. I don’t even know right now...
... if you ask me the latter route is the way to go
zdr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Lorenzo
Granular Poster
Lorenzo is a jewel in the roughLorenzo is a jewel in the roughLorenzo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

It could be a great opening track. It's not like all those nonsense glitchy tracks that impress only extreme dubstep fanatics or empty abstract-music obsessed, It's organic. Like Vault said it's not hard to imagine it on a videogame's soundtrack (Dead Space if a sequel will ever be released?).

Advertisements

Lorenzo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote