['ambientronica'] Ben Steed - A Flash Of Lucidity
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 20-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Shanghai
MC Status: 272303320
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,663 Posts
['ambientronica'] Ben Steed - A Flash Of Lucidity

Hey guys. I released a new album. Would love to know your thoughts.

Tracklist:
1. Earthbound (I - IV)
2. Seabound (V - VIII)
3. Skybound (IX - XI)
4. Unbound (XII - XIII)

Release Date: 18th June 2014
Label: Symmetrical Records
Artwork: Stix Pixel
Graphics and layout: Scyn

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Stream:

Thanks

Last edited by Trusty Steed; 01-06-2015 at 01:52 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421887629
Thanked 5,193 Times in 3,001 Posts
Re: ['ambientronica'] Ben Steed - A Flash Of Lucidity

Finally you made a thread, so finally I can leave proper feedback.

The first time I listened to this was at an EXTREMELY low volume while lying in bed while others slept around me. After a few more listens, I actually think it sounds best this way. The first few minutes where the bassline cuts through the mix, it REALLY cuts through the mix when at a very low volume. Gives it a lot of impact.

I mentioned to you before, but this is the best drum programming I've ever heard. Maybe the tricks you used weren't so complicated (I dunno), but the composition is fantastic. That first beat is great. It's like they're gonna fall apart at any moment, and then that brush set.....saWEEEEET.

I don't think the other drums reach quite the same level as those first two bits, but they're solid throughout.

My only critique is that I think the melodies collectively sound a tad meandering. I understand the vibe you were going for, but I think they could have been strengthened up a bit here and there. Maybe play off a bassline in parts. I think the best stuff, melody-wise, is in Starbound. The stuff around 18:00 and 21:20 is very nice.

Taken individually, all the tracks are great. I think when looked at as a whole, it could have used a few moments of stronger arrangement.

But it's good! It's awesome! Listen to it at a crazy low volume!

Last edited by Vlantis; 22-07-2014 at 02:56 PM..

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

I judge music by its ability to hold up to many plays. I made a CD and so this was in my car, and I often listened just because it was in the CD player already and I really listened to it nonstop for the past few months.

Not only is it spectacular from the start but it grows on you as you begin anticipating the sounds. It really encompasses a whole feeling of life, thought, feeling and sound. Really an experience.

I have nothing to add or change because I wouldn't even know where to begin as it feels like a complete organism, that I can't dissect.

By the way when I burned another CD of flashbulb recently your tracks were in the list somehow and were burned on the beginning of the CD. Your tracks really fit there, and that is really saying a lot as I now worship Flashbulb as my deity.

Unbound is probably my favorite track right now, so sublime.

Beautiful work.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53410
Thanked 1,068 Times in 764 Posts

0_~ *slowly melts*

*once reformed, will return later with full review*

and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
nice artwork dude
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Shanghai

You guyz. Thank you

------------------
Old 28-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53410
Thanked 1,068 Times in 764 Posts

*solidifies*

this album had me like

seriously though, ben steeeds, this was really great. i didn't feel like i was in 2014 at all, it sounded of yore. i kept drawing ideas to vangelis, then you would expertly weave in beats. beats that played to all my fetishes, reverses and stretching, hits jockeying for position, disjointed breakbeat. to name a few

i loved it all. it was a beautiful balance of chaos and flow, nestled against lush soundscapes. i enjoyed your arrangements too, little vignettes all woven together. its almost like you get more bang for your buck.

definitely worth like a million listens. highly recommend i do! and scyn did a cool job with that artwork :banafuck1:
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Shanghai

Thanks a lot, brother! You are very kind

------------------
Old 03-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
dodomi
Minor Glitch
dodomi will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Very, very cool
dodomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Shanghai

Thanks a lot, man!

------------------
Old 22-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Shanghai

A year on from the original release, and Radio FM4 has included a segment of Earthbound on their Liquid Radio show.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------