Black Metal Recommendations? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #41
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
raytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MC
Éire
MC Status: 2495010
Re: Black Metal Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroonage View Post
You know whats up. +alot
I know Varg claims that he and indeed the rest of 'the circle' had never heard any Venom back then, but I dont give a shit - they're great :p

Centuries Of Sin on the Probot album is great too

Advertisements

------------------
...//:: The Horrorist - I Stand With You (Raytrace Remix) ::\\...
http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com|||||||||http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com/tagged/raytracemusic|||||||||www.soundcloud.com/raytrace
raytrace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #42
OxyAle
Knob Twiddler
OxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MCOxyAle is a savage MC
Virginia
MC Status: 3533919

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatavalanche View Post
and Dimmu Borgir are shit.
It seems to me like the only people who say this are the "trve" elitist black metal fanatics who practically abhor anything catchy, or just have a grudge against them because of how commercial they are. Dimmu have written some ridiculously good riffs and melodies, and to me that makes them very much worth hearing. Anyone interested in black metal should definitely hear Enthrone Darkess Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions, as they have some fantastic songwriting.

I also second the fuck out of Darkthrone, which is by far my favorite 'orthodox' black metal band (well, after Bathory I guess). A Blaze in the Northern Sky is a masterpiece and one of the best albums in all of metal.

As for Bathory, check out Blood Fire Death - another masterpiece. And if you're at all interested in folk metal, check out some of Bathory's later albums because they are pretty much the pinnacle of that genre.

Last edited by OxyAle; 25-02-2009 at 06:11 PM..
OxyAle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #43
beatavalanche
nonviolent junglist
beatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MCbeatavalanche is a savage MC
MC Status: 279833

------------------
beatavalanche is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #44
pseen
IDMf's latest spammer
pseen is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Some of my personal favourites...

1st generation (ca 1984): Hellhammer / Celtic Frost

2nd generation (ca 1991): Emperor, Darkthrone, Ildjarn, Burzum, Mayhem

3rd generation (ca 1995): Brenoritvrezorkre, Dødheimsgard

Whatever generation (1998-): Furze, Paysage d'Hiver, Hate Forest, Wolves in the Throne Room, Xasthur, Leviathan / Lurker of Chalice, Deathspell Omega, Striborg, Velvet Cacoon, Wold, Krallice, Weakling, Orcustus
pseen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #45
cyclops
One Eyed Cunt
cyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 255291227
Thanked 1,252 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseen View Post
1st generation (ca 1984): Hellhammer / Celtic Frost
if you like that, then check out:
Quote:
Apollyon Sun

Several years following the disbanding of Celtic Frost, and after quite some time spent away from the music industry, Fischer co-founded a new group called Apollyon Sun with his close friend Erol Unala on guitars in the mid-1990s and recorded an EP God Leaves (And Dies) and a full-length album Sub. Although clearly based on Celtic Frost's dark and more adventurous music, Apollyon Sun was a industrial metal project. During his hiatus from music, Fischer had also finished work on an autobiographical book, called Are You Morbid?, which was published by London-based Sanctuary Publishing to fan acclaim in 2000.
source
http://www.apollyonsun.com/sounds.htm

Last edited by cyclops; 25-02-2009 at 08:26 PM..

------------------
cyclops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #46
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
raytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MC
Éire

Akercocke - Leviathan

David Gray (I know ironic name) is such a fucking amazing drummer - he very frequently adds little breakbeats in - Ive seen him live twice, once with Akercocke and once with Berzerker which was amazing, his kick drum was triggering distorted 909/gabba type kicks - he was like a robot lol - 220 BPM and perfect :p

Enslaved - Havenless
such a cold song combining full on Viking and Black stuff perfectly IMO - the breakdown that starts at 2:03 is fuckin amazing

MayheM - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

just pure haunting IMO...

DarkthronE - In The Shadow Of The Horns

brilliant

ImmortaL - Sons Of Northern Darkness

just listen to those drums...

Bathory - One Road To Asa Bay

epic - 'It's only - just... BEGUUUUUN!!!!'

Morbid Angel - Fall From Grace

'Forgive me not
This knowledge makes me strong
To resurrect
The cities of the damned
All the treasure of sodom
Now belong to me - celebrate
Fallen angels take my hand'

Amon Amarth - Cry Of The Blackbirds

'Charge your horse across the fields,
Together we ride - into destiny
Have no fear of death when it's your time,
Oden will bring us home - when we die!'

SatyricoN - K I N G

I know its a lot more 'rocking' than their earlier stuff, but I still love it - it sounds like Danzig 1 IMO which is one of my fave albums of all time...

anyway thats enough for now :p

Last edited by raytrace; 26-02-2009 at 02:18 AM..

------------------
http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com|||||||||http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com/tagged/raytracemusic|||||||||www.soundcloud.com/raytrace
Old 26-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #47
MC Perm
Savage Mad Cunt
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065

Dude Amon Amarth is fucking DOPE!
MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #48
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

yeh I like em a lot you can definitely hear a lot of 'Celtic Rock' (ok that pretty much means Thin Lizzy (maybe Horslips but I doubt Amon Amarth know who they are :p)) influences in some of their songs, with bodhrán-esque drumming and 'trad' type main guitar lead-riffs. They even have a song about the Norse attacking Ireland haha - 'Prediction Of Warfare' the last song on 'With Oden On Our Side'...

I find it pretty interesting the similarities between the Norse imagery on their albums and Celtic stuff - often when I'm wearing an Amon Amarth t-shirt people actually presume its an Irish 'trad' band because of the font and knotwork.

Anyway as usual I digress :p

Amon Amarth are indeed fucking brilliant !

------------------
Old 26-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #49
aener
Bluntly Pessimistic
aener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MCaener is a savage MC
Preston
MC Status: 18371

I forgot who posted it, and also forgot to quote it - but I'd just like to put forth my opinion of Dimmu.

I agree with you when you say they're not upto much, but - as ever - I'll defend the Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia album 'till I die. It's somewhat epic.

I used to be a metalhead through and through - so I'd have lots of names for you - but I don't know all this sub-genre business.
As far as I'm concerned - the genre "metal" starts at something a little heavier than Maiden/AC-DC, and that's it.
I know there's different styles - but could I FUCK tell you which is called what :p

EDIT: I know damned well it's not what your after - but I'll just drop these here, incase you weren't aware of the style. I fucking love it.
To put it in your so-very-elegant terms, "it's fucking dope, man"

SikTh - Pussyfoot:
Pay heed to vocals at 2:11 onwards.
They have two vocalists - and they chop and change between each in a VERY confusing succession

SikTh - Suffice:
Yeah - lovely quality :/
The "vocals" at the end are done real-time. Seen it live.

Genghis Tron - White Walls:
First part more than the latter. So many parts in the first 90 seconds

Last edited by aener; 26-02-2009 at 02:11 PM..

------------------
I like bikes.
aener is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #50
pseen
IDMf's latest spammer
pseen is currently spamming hard

Norwegian pedantic genre police to the rescue... Morbid Angel and Amon Amarth are NOT Black Metal.
pseen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #51
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseen View Post
Norwegian pedantic genre police to the rescue... Morbid Angel and Amon Amarth are NOT Black Metal.
obviously...

I mean one's Swedish ffs - (Bathory obviously break that rule-of-thumb though)

in fairness though one influenced and one was influenced by BM

I am not saying their music is BM in anyway though...

------------------
Old 26-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #52
CFaDG
Knob Twiddler
CFaDG is a jewel in the roughCFaDG is a jewel in the roughCFaDG is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

^ and vikings.

------------------
Happiness Death Squad - First album in the works
Total done [4.5/8]
CFaDG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Nxs25
IDMf's latest spammer
Nxs25 is currently spamming hard

Abyssed
Alghazanth
Angantyr (Danish)
Arckanum
Behemoth
Behexen

Belenos
Burzum
Carpathian Forest
Catamenia
Count Nosferatu Kommando

Cryptic Wintermoon
Dark Funeral
Dark Fury
Darkthrone
Deep-Pression
Dimmu Borgir
Dodsferd
Dråp
Falkenbach
Fimbultyr
Finntroll
Gallhammer
Geimhre
Gorgoroth
Graveland
Holmgang (Danish)
Hordagaard
Ildjarn
Illnath
Immortal
Inferno
Kvist
Lik
Limbonic Art
Lord Belial
Lunar Aurora
Make A Change... Kill Yourself
Massemord
Mayhem
Nasheim
Nebel
Necrophagist
Ninnghizhidda

Nocternity
Nokturnal Mortum
Nortt (Danish)
Obtained Enslavement

Sarcophagus
Satyricon

Siebenbürgen
Sigh
Skald
Stillhet
Stormlord
Svartnar
Totalselfhatred
Troll
Tågefolket
Taake
Ulver
Vesania
Watain

A little to look into Underline means GOOD
Nxs25 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #54
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyAle View Post
It seems to me like the only people who say this are the "trve" elitist black metal fanatics who practically abhor anything catchy, or just have a grudge against them because of how commercial they are. Dimmu have written some ridiculously good riffs and melodies, and to me that makes them very much worth hearing. Anyone interested in black metal should definitely hear Enthrone Darkess Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions, as they have some fantastic songwriting.

I also second the fuck out of Darkthrone, which is by far my favorite 'orthodox' black metal band (well, after Bathory I guess). A Blaze in the Northern Sky is a masterpiece and one of the best albums in all of metal.

As for Bathory, check out Blood Fire Death - another masterpiece. And if you're at all interested in folk metal, check out some of Bathory's later albums because they are pretty much the pinnacle of that genre.

I am a this very moment listening to Hammerheart (the actual song) and it is just sooo epic, that thread asking about emotional? - this is it IMO :p - I know its not actually his melody/air apparently but nonetheless I love it, it, Asa Bay, Lake Of Fire and A Fine Day To Die are just beyond brilliant - Hail Quorthon!

------------------
Old 26-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #55
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFaDG View Post
^ and vikings.
yep Amon Amarth are definitely into Vikings I think :p

apparently the lead singer was still working as a milkman up untill recently - imagine him delivering you milk lol - probably use a drinking horn or sumthin

------------------
Old 08-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #56
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544777
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apertureburn View Post
Whats the difference between death and black metals?

Corpsepaint and shit shit sound quality.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #57
Setherian
IDMf's #1 N00b
Setherian is currently spamming hard
Sao Paulo
MC Status: 20

If the metal scene wasnt so close minded aka tormented by their own ignorance and social misfits, we would already have some sick BM/DM/Grind Core mixed with IDM/high end electronic production.
How cliche 90% of all the BM of the last 10 years are?? Where is the evolution? Makes me sick.
This bands of today trying to sound 93 is quite ridiculous. They dont carry the same emotional content, they dont have the same philosophy, the lyrics and visuals are totally outdated, so is teh sound, and quite surprisingly, most cannot even relase a proper mix in freaking 2009!!!
I used to be a hardcore BM guy from 89 to 98, when the whole scene already started to become a whorehouse, thanks to Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth's kinda bands, the ultimate faggot BM ever or Soup Opera Black Metal as i like to say.. then the electronic music specially IDM cut me by the guts , and now Im wondering, where the hell are the BM/IDM bands? Why is there nobody doing it still? OR is there?
Where is the new "Black" extreme music?
Any hints?
Setherian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #58
baldeeee
Granular Poster
baldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 340102

There are some VERY un-black metal bands being mentioned here

top of my list would be:
Emperor - prometheus... nightside eclipse
Arcturus - sham mirrors
Even these aren't considered to be TRUE black metal by some (grim) people!!

Been listening to 'Blut Aus Nord' recently, check out their album 'mort'... they use fretless guitars - the sound this creates is literally sickening!!!!! VERY MONGED!!

Enslaved are really cool too - sometimes quite original and experimental.

------------------
baldeeee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #59
baldeeee
Granular Poster
baldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MCbaldeeee is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 340102

Quote:
Originally Posted by aener View Post
I forgot who posted it, and also forgot to quote it - but I'd just like to put forth my opinion of Dimmu.

I agree with you when you say they're not upto much, but - as ever - I'll defend the Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia album 'till I die. It's somewhat epic.

I used to be a metalhead through and through - so I'd have lots of names for you - but I don't know all this sub-genre business.
As far as I'm concerned - the genre "metal" starts at something a little heavier than Maiden/AC-DC, and that's it.
I know there's different styles - but could I FUCK tell you which is called what :p

EDIT: I know damned well it's not what your after - but I'll just drop these here, incase you weren't aware of the style. I fucking love it.
To put it in your so-very-elegant terms, "it's fucking dope, man"

SikTh - Pussyfoot:
Pay heed to vocals at 2:11 onwards.
They have two vocalists - and they chop and change between each in a VERY confusing succession

SikTh - Suffice:
Yeah - lovely quality :/
The "vocals" at the end are done real-time. Seen it live.

Genghis Tron - White Walls:
First part more than the latter. So many parts in the first 90 seconds

I play guitar in a metal band(not black metal) called Tangaroa, Dan and Justin from sikth mastered out last album.. check out the clips:
http://www.emusic.com/album/Tangaroa.../11256221.html

we've supported genghis tron and sikth before too

------------------
baldeeee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #60
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeeee View Post

Been listening to 'Blut Aus Nord' recently, check out their album 'mort'... they use fretless guitars - the sound this creates is literally sickening!!!!! VERY MONGED!!

Enslaved are really cool too - sometimes quite original and experimental.
yeh my friend is very into Blut Aus Nord - theyre v good from what I heard from him...

EnslaveD are incredible - I saw them with 1349 and Zyklon and they were just majestic - very hypnotic their later stuff is. They played RUUN as the last song and it was absolutely brilliant...

I love Isa and Havenless too

Advertisements

------------------