A couple questions for producers or DJs or people who know about sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 26-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
whynoteggs
Minor Glitch
whynoteggs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
A couple questions for producers or DJs or people who know about sound

So my first question is for producers: do you ever get sick of listening to your own music? I get sick of listening to mine when I have to do it. I'm pretty big on listening to what I'm in the mood for, not a listening assignment.

The second question is for anyone that has first-hand knowledge about this: On a high-end (club) sound system do 320kbps CBR MP3s (encoded from the original WAVs, and assuming the WAVs are just fine/HQ) suffer a noticeable loss of quality to the regular WAV file? How easy or hard is it to notice, if so? And, if so, how common is it for the average club-goer to notice?

Lastly, I did a fair bit of googling and could not reliably find out whether Audacity re-encodes an mp3 upon opening it. Does anyone know for sure? The manual uses the word "copy" (in the case of some formats) so maybe I shouldn't even ask. I did find out re-encoding an mp3 at the same bitrate is considered a big(ish) no no.

edit: Sorry mods if I posted this in the wrong place. I didn't mean to.

Last edited by whynoteggs; 27-07-2014 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Hi

Advertisements

whynoteggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Astral Projection radio special 2006
Old 27-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10379217
Re: A couple questions for producers or DJs or people who know about sound

One I have not gotten sick of listening to my own music. If you had a kid would you get sick of him or her going on about things? Aside from evil things of course.

Two any encoding will result in a loss in quality.

In a most audio programs I would think that it opens a supported file in whatever highest quality is it given.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

Yes.

Yes, hardly noticeable at all, and it's not like club systems sound very good in the first place.

No.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Benwaa

the average clubber wouldn't notice at all, i'd be surprised if the average clubber noticed a 192kbps tbh, audiophile clubbers or clubbers hard into their music would notice. i notice.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10379217

Do you really want to be an average clubber or dubber?

I stand up in noticing the difference as a clubber or dubber.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8588880
Thanked 7,959 Times in 5,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
Do you really want to be an average clubber or dubber?

I stand up in noticing the difference as a clubber or dubber.
What is a dubber? (serious question)

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

Audiophiles tend to notice a lot of stuff when they're told beforehand.

Not specifically calling you out guys, but you gotta admit that a boomy system in a noisy crowded place where you're high/drunk/both and trying to hit on someone instead of listening intently for compression artifacts doesn't exactly make for ideal critical listening conditions...
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
relic (27-07-2014)
Old 27-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

why would you intentionally try to sound low fidelity when high fidelity sound options are all around!? Go with 48 kHz 16- or 24- bit lossless WAV or FLAC or WV and it will also be convenient if you ever need to encode a good quality video. Also if you need to burn a CD you could use 44.1 kHz 16-bit of any of those. Most decent CD burners can do minor convertions. The bad thing about almost every lossy codec is the default settings collapse the bass and some low mids to mono which affects the width and panning and even instrument levels; it's like having bad crosstalk specs. This problem is usually overshadowed in discussions about introduced noise, preverb, and high frequency loss all due to lossy encoding. But it's still a big problem and people who compose and mix their own stuff can learn to hear it, especially in headphones.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
whynoteggs
Minor Glitch
whynoteggs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
why would you intentionally try to sound low fidelity when high fidelity sound options are all around!? Go with 48 kHz 16- or 24- bit lossless WAV or FLAC or WV and it will also be convenient if you ever need to encode a good quality video. Also if you need to burn a CD you could use 44.1 kHz 16-bit of any of those. Most decent CD burners can do minor convertions. The bad thing about almost every lossy codec is the default settings collapse the bass and some low mids to mono which affects the width and panning and even instrument levels; it's like having bad crosstalk specs. This problem is usually overshadowed in discussions about introduced noise, preverb, and high frequency loss all due to lossy encoding. But it's still a big problem and people who compose and mix their own stuff can learn to hear it, especially in headphones.
Well I will do some testing ASAP. Thank you all very much for your responses!

Advertisements

whynoteggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote