Disco Undead (80s electronic horror soundtrack tribute)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Darth Bathory
Regular Freak
Darth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Disco Undead (80s electronic horror soundtrack tribute)

Any other fans of this tribute to the days when horror soundtracks were chock full of eerie electronic goodness? Disco Undead is a few years old now, but it's a crackingly good album for fans of 70s/80s Italian horror classics (Zombie Flesh Eaters, Burial Ground: The Nights Of Terror, Suspiria, Deep Red, Cannibal Holocaust - composers like Fabio Frizzi, Riz Ortolani, Claudio Simonetti/Goblin) and John Carpenter's smokin' minimal electronic soundtracks to his excellent early films (Assault On Precinct 13, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing - okay, the last one's a Morricone soundtrack). It's a fitting tribute to the glory days of exploitation cinema (please don't use the G-word, I beg of you); eerie and spooky sounds abound - and it's toe-tappingly infectious! Good use of sampling, too, to really take you back to the films themselves. Any other fans?

Advertisements

Darth Bathory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Swans: White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity
Old 26-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175274840
Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Disco Undead (80s electronic horror soundtrack tribute)

What's the G word?

Gore? Grindhouse?

Real question...
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

I've always loved the experimental modular stuff I've heard in some of the 50-70's Horror OSTs.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Darth Bathory
Regular Freak
Darth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the roughDarth Bathory is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

"Grindhouse". I hate the term. I'd never even heard it until the Tarantino and Rodriguez film, and I've been watching those kind of films since the early 80s. No-one used it then, and now it's been retroactively added to practically everything from the time frame as long as it lacked a budget or an A-list director, which is ironic, given Grindhouse had both. Now most movie shops even have a "grindhouse" section.

And as Nathan Barley-esque hipsters need a peg to hang the remains of their vulture-like feeding on the carcass of popular culture on, so to make it sound "edgy" - or to reduce it to a simple commodity for easy digestion and regurgitation, "grindhouse" is unfortunately it. It's not an authentic term or one used prior to the marketing campaign of the aforementioned film; certainly no 42nd Street cinema ever referred to itself in such a fashion.

I'll get off of that soapbox right now. As a long-time cult and horror film fan, it's a pet peeve. You may have noticed a touch of mild annoyance there. Not directed at anyone here, by the way.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program!
Darth Bathory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Blood Of The Black Owl: A Banishing Ritual
Thanks to Darth Bathory
deadmau7 (26-06-2014)
Old 26-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175274840
Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,953 Posts

Great rant. Educational too.

Got a touch too paranoid and apologetic just at the end though

Advertisements

deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote