The downside of producing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 28-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
rtff
Regular Freak
rtff will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
The downside of producing

A question for the people who only produce tracks.

Years ago I had a modest "hit" with one of my tracks. In a matter of only weeks the song exploded and was played in clubs all over the world and even got played on radiostations like the BBC. That was fantastic but... as fast as it got picked up even faster the circus ended and people forgot it about with the speed of light. Gone was all the attention and hype.Boom, just like that. I learned that one moment you're hot but before you know it you're not.

It's one of the downsides of producing tracks. Another one is that I hear stuff from others that deserve so much more attention but hardly get downloaded or played at all.

I am interested what you guys think about this matter and what you consider to be the downside of producing.

Advertisements

rtff is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rtff
Nystagmus (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 81042000
Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,712 Posts
Re: The downside of producing

do you always only read your lessons because you wanted good grades ? It's all about what goals you set for yourself
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
Kvlt O))) (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

Music is fun. To me there is no downside, except for perhaps when it comes to time/schedule.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744053491
Thanked 7,723 Times in 4,762 Posts

Other people putting their emotions/wants/needs on to your projects and losing control of them.
What the guys said above.
Life is tough.
Music biz can be fickle.

I have a friend who I used to play live with for a while who had a similarly shitty experience to you. We were courted by a small, independent but en-vogue London record label for about a year, playing parties with them which, to be fair, did raise his profile quite a bit, all the time being promised we'd get "signed" but never really being accepted into their tight clique of friends. He gave them some tracks for compilations which did ok but he never received a penny for his efforts and just did it for the love of it. Finally they asked him for an album of tracks. They went through about 40 of his tracks, ripping some to shreds simply because they weren't to their taste and picking the ones they liked, he had very little say, they also picked some pretty uninspired artwork for the release, but he didn't complain at all, just went with their ideas. Just as it was going to print he asked again about the money side of things, questioning stuff like mechanicals and other basics. Anyway, they didn't like it at all, fell out with him and deleted the release from their catalogue before it was released.
I think he was right to call them cunts.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Old 28-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42418149
Thanked 5,683 Times in 3,694 Posts

I write music for me. If anyone else likes it, its both a surprise and a bonus. The target audience is usually quite happy.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
brittney01
Minor Glitch
brittney01 will become famous soon enoughbrittney01 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Sometimes, it's all luck. Sometimes, you got the timing right. However, there are two sides to everything so make it last while it lasts. We have different tastes in music so we please some and some we don't. Though I think, it's also all about exposing your music to the right audience.
brittney01 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brittney01
Kvlt O))) (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5561

There is one downside: Depression.

Jeez, that gets me every time I try to mix a song. I enjoy creating them, but the mixing period and sometimes arrangement is a pain in the ass, especially if I'm a self-taught kind of guy. Don't know what to do to improve. You keep chasing the rabbit when you listen to your favourite artists and almost cry at how much you suck even if you don't do it for the money.

I should try my hand at some Free Jazz but I never played any instruments apart from 4 tries on my new controller and some elementary school Recorder shit.

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to StampedeMe
DJ Planetside (06-07-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

A downside for me is that years ago I was really popular on SoundClick and then when I went to SoundCloud I would get a few downloads, but now nobody downloads my stuff even though they favorite them.

But I want people to download my stuff so I'm not forgotten after the favorite link is deleted (WHICH IT WILL BE... I HAVE A FREE ACCOUNT THAT I CYCLE THROUGH--I can't keep all the tunes there forever!)

When people downloaded my stuff, they'd listen at home and get to know the tune, they'd really get into it.

Nowadays, people will comment if I post in a forum, but they don't typically relate to what I'm trying to accomplish like they used to. I think it's because people have preconcieved notions of what music is supposed to be based upon current trends. But if you're somebody who is trying to go against the trends people don't know how to relate these days.

I'm not saying my music is perfect, but it's better than some stuff and I put a lot of effort into it.
I just wish I got more appreciation I guess.

I learned long ago in sound engineering school that I didn't want to deal with labels and their dirty tricks.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
waseemdia
IDMf's latest spammer
waseemdia will become famous soon enoughwaseemdia will become famous soon enough
London

whhen you get a writers block that is the downside for me. OH MY GOD i would want to break something. or when you produce something amazing but the mix just won't work no matter how hard you try the mix just doesn't work
waseemdia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

The only downside to composing and producing electronic music in this day and age, is knowing that the vast majority of people don't know how to and don't truly want to appreciate music on the theoretical, emotional and contextual level. They judge and criticize the music they listen to with words like "good", "swag", "busy", "shit" and "gay".

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
waseemdia
IDMf's latest spammer
waseemdia will become famous soon enoughwaseemdia will become famous soon enough
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
The only downside to composing and producing electronic music in this day and age, is knowing that the vast majority of people don't know how to and don't truly want to appreciate music on the theoretical, emotional and contextual level. They judge and criticize the music they listen to with words like "good", "swag", "busy", "shit" and "gay".
you my friend i love
waseemdia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to waseemdia
PROton42 (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135310
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
They judge and criticize the music they listen to with words like "good", "swag", "busy", "shit" and "gay".
5 gays out of 10.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Creating art is pure fun. No downsides for me
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
5 gays out of 10.
I'll take 'em.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Jaded (02-07-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Aww man I didn't get famous for that banger?!!!?

Never again!!!
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Kvlt O))) (29-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1545027
Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,365 Posts

no downside for me.

sometimes i get frustrated with my own skillset (makes me work harder), and other times I'm pretty stoked on what I am capable of.

fortunately I'm not chasing the flavor of the week, nor making dance music so the people that are actually listening are in it for the music not for the "hits" (i guess). i think this makes my listeners a little less fickle.

my learning process and the whole releasing records thing has been very rewarding, though time consuming. I started working in DAW/Midi/Synth/Sampler stuff in 97... (yep, im old)

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
PROton42 (28-04-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589830
Thanked 7,978 Times in 5,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtff View Post
A question for the people who only produce tracks.

Years ago I had a modest "hit" with one of my tracks. In a matter of only weeks the song exploded and was played in clubs all over the world and even got played on radiostations like the BBC. That was fantastic but... as fast as it got picked up even faster the circus ended and people forgot it about with the speed of light. Gone was all the attention and hype.Boom, just like that. I learned that one moment you're hot but before you know it you're not.
Dance music in DJ culture is probably the most "disposable" music in existence, especially these days. It's all about having either the hottest, most popular tunes by well known artists which get rinsed immediately or about finding those underground tracks which then also get rinsed immediately. Just the nature of the biz. You have to keep the momentum going or you'll get forgotten.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

The OP's post totally makes me think of this:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20939...-industry.html

Same story pretty much.
Old 29-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #19
twilitez
IDMf Artist
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

That was kindof an enjoyable read, goes to show its possible to do very decently without all that hassle. Paints a picture of the really big labels that doesnt surprise me in the least though.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Strange coincidence that I first read it today. But yeah, great insight and only serves to bolster what most of us (ok, some of us) already knew.

Advertisements