Read this before you want to be famous
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310
Read this before you want to be famous

Quote:
Every morning when I wake up and check my Soundcloud feed, almost without fail, I find that I have been followed by a user with whom I have absolutely no prior association. Occasionally, I will take the time to check out the user, and more often than not, I find that their profile generally contains information that goes something like this (might want to swallow down a grain of salt real quick):

- Producer/DJ is between the ages 15-23 and is male.
Has been producing for 1 month -18 months.

- Is a self proclaimed maestro of whatever the hot (already overplayed) genre of the moment is, be it trap, dubstep, moombahton etc.

- Major influences include, Avicii, Skrillex, Porter Robinson, Zedd and Madeon.

- Has numerous “edits”, “mashups” and/or “remixes” on his page. Most or all of these are erroneously labelled and have nothing particularly striking to differentiate them from the original tracks.

- Recorded DJ mixes are not even an hour long and are poorly mixed, 256 kbps regurgitations of the
Beatport Top 100 charts.

- Has a dreadful follow to follower ratio, and follows seemingly random users.

- Has yet to do anything worthy of note or praise, yet already has listed separate email addresses for management, press and booking.

After gathering that information from his Soundcloud page, I tend to also draw the following generalizations about this particular person (probably should grab a nice big handful of that salt now):

- Probably lacks a lot of background knowledge about where electronic dance music came from and how it’s developed, with very little desire to attain that information. But hey, he’s been a big fan of it since 2010!
- He is getting into EDM for the money and fame, as opposed to doing because it is a passion. Being an EDM producer seems like a fashionable and lucrative alternative to going to school or traditional work.

- He does not comprehend that making music is work too and hard work at that.

- He spends more time torrenting cracked software (that he has no idea how to work properly) than he does working with what he already has, and refuses to purchase any software or music (production/DJ software currently take up eight spots on the top 100 most pirated Windows Applications on The Pirate Bay).

- Uses FL Studio….

- Spams the life out of everyone who happens to come into digital contact with him.

- Does not know how to correctly approach labels and blogs with his music. When he gets ignored, he takes it as a sign that he needs to go even harder on the spamming grind.

- He lacks any resemblance of originality and artistry, because he is essentially copying the Beatport Top 100

- …did we mention FL Studio already? Haha.

FIRST OF ALL, I have nothing but love for FL Studio. It’s a great piece of software, with a reputation that speaks for itself, which I feel has been unfortunately abused by a hoard of aspiring producers, who wish to imitate some of the artists mentioned above. The anecdotal lists above are partially tongue-in-cheek, and in no way am I saying that they apply to all teenaged EDM producers, however, there is still a disturbing amount of truth in them (I have examples for days for those who care to disagree). Furthermore, it only begins to scratch the surface of the numerous stereotypes that bloggers and music industry employees attach to the massive population of young EDM producers. You may wonder why I even give a blow about this epidemic of mediocrity. Since there is so much good music coming out anyways, why not just ignore what you don’t like, and focus on what you do, right? Wrong!

I don’t think the problem is that there are too many young producers. I think the real problem lies in the toxic attitude of naivety and entitlement that has been internalized by the community of young producers. This attitude does in fact exist, and I believe it could eventually come back to bite the dance music community in the hind regions. Now I am going to attempt to explain why this is with a concept I like to call “The Porter Robinson Paradigm”.
http://thefrontliner.com/editorial-2...rs-dream-17943 << read more here

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily hate the current EDM btw since I am pretty open minded when it comes to music and I am trying to make a career out of doing electronic music. I am just annoyed a bit with how everyone is trying to do the same thing. If you are going to use a typical dubstep beat, then the melody of the synths or the growl synths have to be really well put. I mean it's gotta be super catchy in a smart way or other wise its just another dubstep track.

The only current modern dubstep tracks I can listen to is Skrillex's previous eps and Kill The Noise. Why? Because they were the only few to achieve some kind of musicality with the new sounds that they created AND everyone wanted to copy their sound. From that point we start hearing cookie cutters. It really seems like guys who made it big for the first time were the only good ones and everyone else wanted to copy from there on.

Deadmau5 also mentioned that the current sound of the EDM will kill itself. It will die out and there will be no business for it at some point if not just go slow again because everyone is doing the same thing.

I'm sure most of you can share this feeling what do you think?

Advertisements

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
Louderest (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210
Re: Read this before you want to be Famous

I am all too painfully aware of the stereotype of the 13-year old who thinks he's a producer and tries to mimic skrillex or whatever. And yeah you meet them on soundcloud all the time.

And I am aware that, as a 16 year old producer, I am quite in danger of being viewed as one of those people.
However, I feel distinct from that crowd because, first of all, I never link to my music or beg people to listen to it. It's shit, and I understand that.

Secondly, although I am guilty of being a Zedd and Porter Robinson fan, I don't intend to copy anything, and I don't care about being famous. It's just certain songs are so amazing and beautiful to me, and I think how amazing it must be to be the person who made it. So, even though I understand I won't be able to make something that good for many years, that's what I strive for. It's more of something I see as being a lifelong hobby and creative outlet.

Third, I actually love music. I don't just want to make "sick beats." I want to use music to inspire emotion. I play the violin and piano on a regular basis and occasionally perform live with groups. I just feel that electronic music offers a freedom of expression not available elsewhere.

I feel like I sound like I'm just bragging about myself now, but that's not my intent. I'm just so painfully aware of the "wannabe teenage DJ" that I feel the need to distinguish myself from that crowd.

Last edited by Spyderbyte; 02-06-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Spyderbyte
brn20 (03-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Interesting but definitely not shocking. Just take any trend and add the internet, and watch that trend get fucked beyond repair. Technology and ease of use breeds laziness.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Louderest
Sample Destroyer
Louderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond repute
Canberra
MC Status: 9380

"Has yet to do anything worthy of note or praise, yet already has listed separate email addresses for management, press and booking."

Funny 'cause it's true!

Great post. Wish there were more people who got involved in forums like this and did genuine collaborations and remixes of people they knew, rather than just making bootleg remixes of avicii and spamming it to the world.

------------------
Louderest is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

It's true, but it doesn't matter. I'm sure these same kids are creating 'labels' and signing eachother left and right (I've seen it myself over SC) and they're all having a good time from their bedrooms during the day and DJing for their friends' parties at night. Who cares? Their copycat mentality won't ever get them anywhere, but I'm sure they're aware. They have to be.

So, fuck it. Everybody can have fun producing. Boom. We're there. The future is here.

(although, paying for stuff is good, and I'm a proud believer in it)
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

Yeah.. They should just get off my lawn. Damn kids with their music nowadays.

------------------
Sleep Paralysis Therapy

ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ckiiln
Vlantis (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421887929
Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,001 Posts
Icon4 Re: Read this before you want to be Famous

What a bunch of whiny shit. So some kid posts some songs on the Internet. Doesn't mean you have to get elitist on him/her.

They might not "know the history of electronic dance music," but who fucking cares? Electronic dance music can suck my balls.

Christ, I have so many problems with this attitude. What, are people afraid these guys are gonna steal their thunder? Shitty dance music has been around since dance music was invented.

Get over yourselves.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

fuck the mainstream!

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135210
Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,568 Posts

omg guys ur bunch of haters, awhicii4life

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Their copycat mentality won't ever get them anywhere, but I'm sure they're aware. They have to be.
You are being too nice I've seen and worked with many people who lives in their own world man... It's not a pretty picture for the scene nor it is for the music.

------------------
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 81041950
Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: Read this before you want to be famous

good thing I don't aim at being famous
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589430
Thanked 7,970 Times in 5,600 Posts

I just don't care anymore. I don't have room in my brain for this crap these days. If a bunch of sixteen year olds want to make crappy, brickwalled, crap-noise dance music and pretend they are awesome by signing each other to their "lables" and play each others music at house parties. I don't really care.

As far as "the scene" ...the scene has always just been a bunch of people getting wasted and dancing to repetitive music. I could give two shits about "the scene" as I don't want to hang out with a bunch of people a decade or more younger than me and party with them (kinda creepy) and I don't want to hang out with people my age who can barely pay their rent and bills and still work at McDonalds because they like to spin records and do drugs and are living under some delusion that they are doing something important or are going to make it big.

I will listen to zero arguments that it's ever been anything else but people partying to admittedly fun party music. Though I will agree things are much more commercialized and that makes me less interested.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Triton64
IDMf Artist
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350414
Thanked 1,173 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
What a bunch of whiny shit. So some kid posts some songs on the Internet. Doesn't mean you have to get elitist on him/her.

They might not "know the history of electronic dance music," but who fucking cares? Electronic dance music can suck my balls.

Christ, I have so many problems with this attitude. What, are people afraid these guys are gonna steal their thunder? Shitty dance music has been around since dance music was invented.

Get over yourselves.
This:

OP get off your fucking highhorse.
All that time you spent bitching on a forum could have been spent doing something productive.
This is those kid's punk-rock movement.
You're not supposed to like it.
It supposed to sound like shit to you.
I don't like it either.
But I fucking love that they will crank music I hate.

And deep down, I fucking love that they spam the fuck out of me.
Because no one these days does anything but come online and talk shit.
Bless these little spammers, their material dreams, and their awkward facial hair. Bless their drive to fucking do something, and bless their terrible music.

To any aspiring kid who happens upon this thread:

"You can choose to be/associate with the gossip scum, the Facebook fucks and the petty Internet Life Suckers that martyr their lives, jobs and situation – “poor, poor ME.” Or you can choose to turn off the negative and realize that this short life deserves the best of you. Don’t waste your life surviving.
Find your passion and go forth, full bore. Balls to the wall. Fuck everything."

Last edited by Triton64; 02-06-2013 at 07:24 PM..

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
neyus
Digital Surfer

I think you may have missed the point of the article. All it is saying is that one should get into the reality in the music business that they want to get into by -

- Being themselves and not trying to be avicii, porter or skrillex etc
- Be knowledgeable of what you are getting into
- You cant be good overnight and nobody does
- Stop acting like you're a veteran and seems like you've been DJing or producing for 20 years when you've just started

If anything this article ENCOURAGES many young musicians to head into the right path for their own sake. One thing that many kids don't realize these days is that when they literally mimic any of those big artist they are pretty much PROMOTING the artist that they are trying to mimic. There are no win win situation there.

------------------
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
I think you may have missed the point of the article. All it is saying is that one should get into the reality in the music business that they want to get into by -

- Being themselves and not trying to be avicii, porter or skrillex etc
- Be knowledgeable of what you are getting into
- You cant be good overnight and nobody does
- Stop acting like you're a veteran and seems like you've been DJing or producing for 20 years when you've just started

If anything this article ENCOURAGES many young musicians to head into the right path for their own sake. One thing that many kids don't realize these days is that when they literally mimic any of those big artist they are pretty much PROMOTING the artist that they are trying to mimic. There are no win win situation there.
So, this blog entry is aimed at these kids is what you are saying? Yea, I agree they'd be better off realizing all of this, but they aren't hurting anyone.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
neyus
Digital Surfer

They aren't hurting anyone... except themselves if they don't realize it lol

And I'm sure nobody, ever wants to end up in a state when they just realize that what they've been doing for this whole time is something that isn't what they've been trying to convey as an artist or a musician. Or especially if they've been trying to make a career out of it.

------------------
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Fair enough. Have you ever tried to convince a teenager they are wrong? lol

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Thanks to relic
Numerical (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
neyus
Digital Surfer

No I don't actually. When someone randomly follows me and I see him/her following 90,000 people and only have 100 followers in return I don't talk that person nor do I preach about anything. There is no point.

Being a musician is really about the "experience" that you've gained through trail and errors, through the hours that you've worked on a specific project and through the times when you are trying to find your "OWN" unique sound or taste. It's all of those which makes you who you are as a musician in the end. I'm definitely not saying you can't try to copy how skrillex made his sounds or how kill the noise made this or that. You can actually learn a lot when you try to copy. It's what you DO with what you've learned. And so far man, just like this article states - cookie cutters everywhere.

Can I blame the first timers to get excited and wanting to be just like those big guys? Absolutely not. Who doesn't want a life where they get to do what they love as a career. But again, you cannot bend reality or the standards and there are steps you have to take as a person and as a musician to get to a point where you understand what makes music "music". And most importantly, how and why should people listen to your stuff and why is it unique.

Those are crucial things that everyone should think about IF they are trying to make a CAREER out of music. The article counters anyone's attidude where they think they can MAKE it as soon as they installed a DAW for the first time in their life. or something Other wise if you're doing music as a hobby you can screw around and not give a shit. Which is fine by me lol

------------------
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199654618
Thanked 5,107 Times in 3,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
. I am just annoyed a bit with how everyone is trying to do the same thing. If you are going to use a typical dubstep beat, then the melody of the synths or the growl synths have to be really well put. I mean it's gotta be super catchy in a smart way or other wise its just another dubstep track.
I'm a bit annoyed by your use of the word everyone in the quoted text above from your op. The guys in this thread that I know aren't doing this, the guys I know on this board aren't doing this, and I'm not doing this either.

Many of the things you bring up used to bother me too. But, like relic so aptly pointed out, it doesn't bother me any more. It's not in my scope, it doesn't influence my music, and it ain't coming out of my speakers either. So, let them do what they want because it doesn't effect me in any way at all.

Another thing that annoys me is the fact that you're trying to get famous. This would indicate to me that the music isn't the primary motivating factor in your process. And that, to me, puts you on a similar boat as those you are railing against.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
relic (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Fame isn't all that great from what I can tell. People always bothering ya online, can't walk down the street without some yahoo trying to talk to ya, and your being subject to criticism far after you've released your music, basically until you die.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
SKYCORE (20-06-2014)