Non-dance Electronic Music - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #21
Giovan7
IDMf's latest spammer
Giovan7 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Non-dance Electronic Music

mmm i have a question, if it's not a EDM it's moar like soundtrack? But if someone put a Punchy kick and a great snare in a sound track it would be EDM?

Advertisements

Giovan7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
eery
Soundwave Mangler
eery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond repute
Gjøvik
MC Status: 3910

How to make non-dance electronic music:
Don't dance to it.

------------------

"Get yourself together, man. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates… eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company."
eery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
benirose
Radial Developer
benirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MC
Philadelphia, PA
MC Status: 307056

I don't know why it's obvious to me, but I can tell the difference between something like Zedd and Dntel, or Ferry Corsten and Baths, or Skrillex and Air. One is a producer or dj role and the other is a musician role who just happens to be making electronic music. Even Skrillex is an excellent musician, but in the his music as Skrillex it is intended to rock you. It's primary purpose it to be played out and to convey that energy of the live club setting. It can definitely still be listened to at home without dancing to it, but it will still convey that primary purpose. And not to say one takes more talent over the other, but to me it's obvious when something is intended for the club or the radio vs an album or live performance. And even still it's not so black and white, there are edge cases, but for some reason I just feel like I can tell a difference between dance oriented electronica and non-dance oriented electronica.

So the simplest way I could distill it down (even though there may be cases where this doesn't hold true) is that if this artist played out, you would go see them at a music venue where bands might play, vs seeing them at a big club where they're spinning a set.

Some more examples of non-dance electronica:
Dntel
Baths
Air
Hundred Waters
Son Lux
Minilogue (good example of heavy back beat/four to the floor, but still what I consider non-dance electronic)
Four Tet
Trentmøller
Xela
Jan Jelinek

I hope that helps explain, maybe not. That's ok! Keep loving the music you love, that's what I do!

------------------

Our Alarm Clock | Post-Electronic from Philadelphia, PA
benirose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32160

http://idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=126679

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #25
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421888379
Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,007 Posts

I can't believe this thread is so long (and so old) and nobody has stated the obvious. IDM is essentially non-dance electronic music. That's pretty much what the label means now.

There are literally THOUSANDS of musicians making non-dance electronic music. I'm surprised it was even asked, and on IDMf of all places.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
Muse-ic (09-07-2014)
Old 14-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #26
Djcheesehead
Deep Underground
Djcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond repute
New York City
MC Status: 9310

Is Mount Kimbie non dance electronic music? because I always manage to dance to thier songs....
Djcheesehead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #27
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 81042050
Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
I can't believe this thread is so long (and so old) and nobody has stated the obvious. IDM is essentially non-dance electronic music.
It does have dance in the name, though.
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
PROton42 (19-05-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #28
benirose
Radial Developer
benirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MCbenirose is a savage MC
Philadelphia, PA
MC Status: 307056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
It does have dance in the name, though.
Exactly. I'm not talking about if one does or could dance to a track. You can dance to a good funk song with a solid back beat but that doesn't make it "dance music" and it certainly doesn't make it IDM. I think a lot of the IDM I've found on this site still perpetrates classic dance music tropes. Not that I'm not super into those tropes when they're well executed, I just am more interested in the more experimental side of electronic music, especially in context of my music and resources for promoting it (which was the original intention of the thread).

But that was so long ago, I don't even remember what my music sounded like then.

------------------

Our Alarm Clock | Post-Electronic from Philadelphia, PA
benirose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benirose View Post
I don't know why it's obvious to me, but I can tell the difference between something like Zedd and Dntel, or Ferry Corsten and Baths, or Skrillex and Air. One is a producer or dj role and the other is a musician role who just happens to be making electronic music. Even Skrillex is an excellent musician, but in the his music as Skrillex it is intended to rock you. It's primary purpose it to be played out and to convey that energy of the live club setting. It can definitely still be listened to at home without dancing to it, but it will still convey that primary purpose. And not to say one takes more talent over the other, but to me it's obvious when something is intended for the club or the radio vs an album or live performance. And even still it's not so black and white, there are edge cases, but for some reason I just feel like I can tell a difference between dance oriented electronica and non-dance oriented electronica.

So the simplest way I could distill it down (even though there may be cases where this doesn't hold true) is that if this artist played out, you would go see them at a music venue where bands might play, vs seeing them at a big club where they're spinning a set.

Some more examples of non-dance electronica:
Dntel
Baths
Air
Hundred Waters
Son Lux
Minilogue (good example of heavy back beat/four to the floor, but still what I consider non-dance electronic)
Four Tet
Trentmøller
Xela
Jan Jelinek

I hope that helps explain, maybe not. That's ok! Keep loving the music you love, that's what I do!
Have you listened to any of the IDM label releases?

http://label.idmforums.com/releases-3

This almost seems like a comedy because this is not primarily a dance music forum.

Another fantastic electronic artist is Flashbulb I suggest you check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx15...CB699C71593A18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgoAgYR4584

Also:

Ulrich Schnauss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNM-rJi1mM

Last edited by Muse-ic; 09-07-2014 at 05:16 PM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #30
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Ulver, dudes. That is all.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421888379
Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,007 Posts

Quote:
I think a lot of the IDM I've found on this site still perpetrates classic dance music tropes.
I was gonna say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Have you listened to any of the IDM label releases?
But Muse-ic did it for me.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
Muse-ic (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #32
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
I was gonna say this:

But Muse-ic did it for me.
Quite off the beaten path, experimental IMO.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #33
Suiyoubi
Savage Mad Cunt
Suiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MC
MC Status: 24584798
Thanked 1,560 Times in 950 Posts

Autreche.
Suiyoubi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #34
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Plaid.

Ceephax Acid Crew

Ben Steed (hehehe)

https://soundcloud.com/cosmiceschato...ming-18th-june
Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #35
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Oh what the hell...

Candle Nine

https://soundcloud.com/candle-nine/s...-directionless

The Verb

https://soundcloud.com/i-am-the-verb/sets/the-verb

Fidelium

https://soundcloud.com/fidelium/sets/ibfwid

Last edited by Muse-ic; 12-07-2014 at 06:20 AM..
Old 15-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

Quote:
I think a lot of the IDM I've found on this site still perpetrates classic dance music tropes.
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #37
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135660
Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,572 Posts

edm > idm

Advertisements

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote