Japan's Dance Music Scene?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 30-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Genki B
Granular Poster
Genki B will become famous soon enough
Lincoln
MC Status: 60
Icon6 Japan's Dance Music Scene?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know much about the dance music scene in Japan? I'd love to travel there after I graduate and was just curious about the styles of music over there. Would be great to hear some experiences of djing or releasing music over there.

Advertisements

Genki B is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
DJ Planetside
Knob Twiddler
DJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant future
Las Vegas
MC Status: 1960
Re: Japan's Dance Music Scene?

Japan musically is always about 10 years behind americas trends, so electronically think ladytron 2005, its nowhere near as popular as in europe and america, mostly due to jpop bands still being as stuck as a fly to a cow shit. As far as releasing any music over there, people love music over there period, regardless of genre, and the more variety the better. Will you be as big as Gackt if you go over there? Fuck no. Will you generate alot of local success and a possible regular venue? Fuck yes. Will you tour japan with other artists of similar tastes? Fuck yes, but don't expect to retire off it.

Generally the consensus is, if you're visiting and this is japans only chance to see you, they will show up in droves. But if you live there, you're kinda on local status. Its just difficult for most artists that go there to break past that wall between local sensation and honorable sensation.

------------------
Holy crap, I can haz a signature now?

DJ Planetside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DJ Planetside
Genki B (03-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
Genki B
Granular Poster
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Planetside View Post
Japan musically is always about 10 years behind americas trends, so electronically think ladytron 2005, its nowhere near as popular as in europe and america, mostly due to jpop bands still being as stuck as a fly to a cow shit. As far as releasing any music over there, people love music over there period, regardless of genre, and the more variety the better. Will you be as big as Gackt if you go over there? Fuck no. Will you generate alot of local success and a possible regular venue? Fuck yes. Will you tour japan with other artists of similar tastes? Fuck yes, but don't expect to retire off it.

Generally the consensus is, if you're visiting and this is japans only chance to see you, they will show up in droves. But if you live there, you're kinda on local status. Its just difficult for most artists that go there to break past that wall between local sensation and honorable sensation.
Thanks for the info @DJ Planetside, I totally agree with the J-Pop thing, its so incredibly popular. The idea of touring sounds great, you give some great advice. Have you been to Japan?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

I don't reccomend it.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
There is a time when the world of music opens itself up to you and you dive right into great unknowns, incredible techniques and emotionally captivating electronic music. And after that, there is stuff like Pop EDM.
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
Genki B
Granular Poster
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderbyte View Post
Haha that is hilarious, made my night watching that!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

All I really know about are parapara events.

Parapara = a choreographed dance style with lots of arm movements, mostly danced to eurobeat.

It's definitely not like your usual dance party because there are choreographies for every song played and everyone does the same moves (leave it to Japan)

The only recent footage of one of these things are shitty livestream recordings

They are not super crowded events, parapara was really huge in the 90s but has died down a lot. Without knowing any of the routines, it'd probably only be worth going if you're really interested in the music

Unfortunately for you, the one really active member here who actually lives in Japan doesn't really care about "dance" music
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

かめはめ波!!!
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
Suiyoubi
Savage Mad Cunt
Suiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MC
MC Status: 24584798
Thanked 1,560 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
かめはめ波!!!
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Suiyoubi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Suiyoubi
Numerical (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #9
DJ Planetside
Knob Twiddler
DJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant futureDJ Planetside has a brilliant future
Las Vegas
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genki B View Post
Thanks for the info @DJ Planetside, I totally agree with the J-Pop thing, its so incredibly popular. The idea of touring sounds great, you give some great advice. Have you been to Japan?
I used to live there for a few years, the early 2000's was a jpop nightmare, but at least metal was picking up so there was that. Now adays though, its mosly weird indy punk bands, jpop, and wanna be Lil Waynes. <----------I'm sorry but there's only 1 hood in japan and its in the shinjuku area, any other claims of being from the "hood" in japan like some of the artists do that claim life was so rough in Kumagaya etc....NO.....there is nothing hood or ghetto about those areas, which also happen to be some of the cleanest and most educated areas in japan. You got better luck telling me you lived the hard knock life in some burb ass Hokkaido prefecture bailing rice. I dunno, theres just this guy in japan running around with grills and chicago bulls T-shirts talking about how he's so hood, and gangsta, I can't remember his name but nobody there takes him seriously. I'm all for grasping on to parts of American culture but this guy......this fuckin guy....

------------------
Holy crap, I can haz a signature now?

DJ Planetside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421888229
Thanked 5,205 Times in 3,006 Posts

You can find clubs in all the big cities, but they close fairly early and you can't dance after midnight or so because dancing after midnight is illegal in Japan (google it. I'm not gonna explain it.).

It's pretty expensive to gig in Japan, because you have to pay the venue to play there. To get your money back you have to sell tickets yourself. You could have a list of people coming to see you specifically and give it to the venue, but every time I do that I get stiffed out of money, so I usually just have the people call me when they get there and I go outside and sell them a ticket. I always break even, but I only play at places that charge fifty bucks. Some times I make enough to pay for Burger King afterwards!!!! Woo!!

To play at anything more than a hole in the wall will cost a band upwards of $400 usd, hence the reason I only play at hole in the walls. you can play and DJ at foreigner bars for free, but don't expect anybody to pay attention to you.

People may like you since you've got the foreign gimmick. I'm able to get away with a lot of bullshit because I'm a foreigner. People laugh at the stupid shit I say all the time.

You might be able to sell a few albums here and there, but people pretty much go to local live shows to see one specific band and are pretty disinterested in other bands. I always have a great response from the crowd (foreigner guy screaming electropunk is a novelty), but I've never had anybody ask to buy a CD or ask me for a link. I don't actually sell CDs at my shows, so maybe they would if I had any.....

I have no idea about DJing or playing more traditional electronic sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Planetside View Post
I'm sorry but there's only 1 hood in japan and its in the shinjuku area
Shiiiit. Shinjuku ain't hood in the slightest. Amagasaki is a bit hood as is Old Town Osaka, but even that's nothing like hoods in other countries. Japan is pretty hood free.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24510

I dont even exist anymore

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote