Muahahaha - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #21
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42418349
Thanked 5,687 Times in 3,695 Posts
Re: Muahahaha

Some rambling

Usually with breakthrough music, those creating it need to be really good in their niche and/or have a strong drive that overrides the derision (often silent on the surface) that comes with it.

Hmm.

Silent on the Surface. I may have to name a track that

The mainstream defaults to mediocrity. Its the nature of the beast. Once in a while something awesome bubbles up but generally its a disposable soundtrack for people who only care about music as a backdrop to something else they're doing and 90% of the time that is simply trying to get laid. There is nothing wrong with this.

I have no basis in hard research for that 90% stat.

As galling as it may seem to some of us who are very invested in our music and embrace the odd and the offbeat, there's absolutely nothing wrong with treating music as a throwaway toy. Not everyone lives their life with a strong focus on music.

I used to get annoyed at mainstream music. But these days, when we are in more control than ever before of how our audio entertainment is delivered, its almost a non-issue. I don't need to listen to twat DJs on a radio playing 90% music I dislike just to get the occasional track I love.

Mainstream only matters if you let it matter to you.

These days its very simple for me, "Do I like what I just heard?" Yes/No. Doesn't matter if its mainstream (admittedly if its mainstream its usually too clean and generic for me). Helps to not give a shit about being seen as cool or in a scene. For the record, I am not cool or ever have been. I don't see that changing any ice age soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
One of the biggest things that made me lose interest in a lot of genres right there: That fuckin overly DJ-friendly intro/outro shit
One of the reasons I love working at 124 bpm, just enough outside of the acceptable range while still keeping potential for juicy drumwork. Doing 4/4 with very oddbeats is great fun.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
fidelium (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

I listened his music today for the first time and it sounds just like any other club hit, maybe a little more to offer, but very far from amazing.

I don't think he can offer anything in AMA tho, maybe just chat about shit.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8590280
Thanked 7,987 Times in 5,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I listened his music today for the first time and it sounds just like any other club hit, maybe a little more to offer, but very far from amazing.

I don't think he can offer anything in AMA tho, maybe just chat about shit.
Many of the AMA's I have read, even from artists I respect, seem mostly like celebrity brain candy for the fans. And of course it depends on the quality of the questions asked in the first place. Can't tell you how many author Q&As and workshops I have been to where most people show up with "prepared" questions to the point where multiple people basically ask the same question 3-4 times in a row.

And the brain candy is fine. For the people making it a career, you kinda of to keep with the times unless being "anti-" is your gig, of course.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199655318
Thanked 5,121 Times in 3,280 Posts

Sorry, what's an AMA?

I just googled it and, as you can imagine, googling AMA yields many results but nothing pertaining to anything relevant to this.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Nyul
IDMf Artist
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Ask Me Anything, it's a subreddit on reddit (kind of similar to a subforum).
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/
Basically in that subreddit they invite popular/interesting people and everyone can ask them question in their threads.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
RFJ (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #26
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199655318
Thanked 5,121 Times in 3,280 Posts

Ah I see.

I wonder if that's where WATMM got the idea for "Ask Autechre Anything..."

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-a...-rob-on-watmm/

How long has reddit been doing this type of thing anyway?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #27
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 81042050
Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,713 Posts

I think it all started with the double dick dude
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #28
Nyul
IDMf Artist
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I wonder if that's where WATMM got the idea for "Ask Autechre Anything..."
Yeah it has become an expression for an "everyone ask me questions" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
How long has reddit been doing this type of thing anyway?
Pretty long, it's there from before I checked out reddit (a couple of years at least).
There is a small archive here of the most popular ones: http://www.redditblog.com/2013/01/to...-on-riama.html

It's an interesting system, candidates are verified so it's always real. A couple of really popular people showed (like Obama which made reddit crash).
Too bad there's always an underlying reason for the AmA, some posters have blatantly focused on their upcoming release and just were there for the free promotion.
You also have non-celebrity AmA's, people who have something interesting (like the two-dick dude).

------------------
Thanks to Nyul
RFJ (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8590280
Thanked 7,987 Times in 5,609 Posts

So I gotta ask...who is the two dick dude...does he literally have two dicks...

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #30
Nyul
IDMf Artist

Yes

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...o_penises_ama/ (nsfw )

that guy was amazing

------------------
Old 13-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #31
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080564
Thanked 1,238 Times in 834 Posts

nice weather innit

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #32
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyul View Post
They should limit AMA's to shit like this
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #33
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
One of the biggest things that made me lose interest in a lot of genres right there: That fuckin overly DJ-friendly intro/outro shit
This. A thousand times this. God forbid I actually want to specifically listen to your song instead of hearing it in a DJ mix and have to listen to a minute of kick/snare on both ends. Plus, yeah, DJs dont have to do jack shit already with BPMsync/beatmatch/keymatching software, might as well build transitions into every single song so they don't have to put any thought into that either. Might as well put ProDJ on automix if you're mixing 128bm cookie-cutter house.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
There is a time when the world of music opens itself up to you and you dive right into great unknowns, incredible techniques and emotionally captivating electronic music. And after that, there is stuff like Pop EDM.
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #34
essenthy
IDMf Artist
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

the two tracks from his new album sound interesting

Advertisements

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote