Phase related issues...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060
Phase related issues...

Hey everybody.
I've got 2 phase related problems that I can't seam to solve.

1)My main problem: When I mono my master, the Snare Drum phases within itself (sort of comb filtering it self). Phase inverting one channel doesn't solve it but changes it.

2) When I invert the phase of one of my sides on the master, the low end moves to the side (width wise). IDK if this is really a problem but I have a feeling that it suggests something bad.

Thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026
Re: Phase related issues...

1) probably some haas effect was used for your snare sample (or on a layer of it) to make it stereo.

2) if your low end is mostly mono or centered, and the end result is it playing on the side channel, then you simply inverted one of the L/R channel. if you invert only one of the side channel, you just get mono
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond repute
rvk
MC Status: 2074

If you`re on windows maybe a tool like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
can help you? Found it recently and it`s quite useful.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of

Thank you both.
@Mr.Qaobab - I'll try that VST out, Thanks.

@Aeor - That's a good option, I didn't think of that. So I guess I'm stuck with a snare that sounds shitty on mono ha? It's pretty surprising considering that I used samples from Battery. You'd think they'll make better stuff. Thanks anyway.

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Old 17-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Goolue
Digital Surfer

Ok, I found out what the problem was. It was caused by Sampler's spread option which apparently works by using the haas effect. It makes sense. Thanks again for you're time.

Advertisements

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Thanks to Goolue
aeoR (18-05-2013)