Major or Minor Scales? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 23-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #21
rahoo
Granular Poster
rahoo is currently spamming hard
Texas
MC Status: 10
Re: Major or Minor Scales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyt wembpang View Post
i use whatever sounds right and i don't bother whether it's major or minor or even an actual scale

but essentially it's this in a grand sense lol. i'm letting my "classical" training get the better of me when explaining things

Advertisements

rahoo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #22
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

Major= happy

Minor= sad

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
tomergott
Learning The Ropes
tomergott is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyF View Post
Play it as "chords" which are groups of 3 notes. The "C" chord is made up of the notes C E G. An F chord is F A C and a G chord is G B D. Notice that their is a pattern to how your fingers fall on each note group. This is the beginning of understanding that music has relationships regarding distance and patterns.

Pachabels cannon is a different progression but with experience you will figure out that some melodies can be forced into different progressions if they are compatible. His cannon has had this done famously in a youtube video.

Their is A LOT to music theory and this stuff is the first step. Always as WHY things work and you can find answers.
try an android app that can teach you and help you remmember all the chords and the main 4 scales
it's called PianoTeacher and can be downloaded from google play.
ohhh, it's free
tomergott is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
Major= happy

Minor= sad
Every time I see this, I die a little on the inside.
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #25
JakeyF
Minor Glitch
JakeyF is a jewel in the roughJakeyF is a jewel in the roughJakeyF is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifiseer View Post
Every time I see this, I die a little on the inside.
Did you just hear a REALLY minor chord j/k
JakeyF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #26
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
You need the chords as JakeyF said, but it doesn't matter what octave or if the chord is inverted, i.e if you play the C chord with the G at the bottom, so G C D, or even with the D in the bottom D G C, it's the same thing, just different ways of making it sound neat.

Just a disclaimer: I don't really know a bunch about music theory, I just like to mess with sound.
The notes on the outside of the chord are generally predominant... Whatever you put on the inside is generally going to have a weaker presence.

I almost never use 3 note chords, I prefer a 2 note interval or 4 notes, I'll often double a note of the chord as opposed to using a simple 3 note chord. Chord inversions exist so you can change the range that a chord is in, and change the sound. I could play G in root position and move to C in root position, or I could do G in root position to C in second inversion and it would sound completely different. It absolutely matters where you put the chord IMO. This is something that separates music thats been programmed from music thats played; aesthetic decisions like how you move between chords are as much about the feel of an instrument as they're about the sound of the music.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #27
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487504
Thanked 1,001 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
The notes on the outside of the chord are generally predominant... Whatever you put on the inside is generally going to have a weaker presence.
Doesn't change the fact that it's still the same chord.

Quote:
I almost never use 3 note chords, I prefer a 2 note interval or 4 notes, I'll often double a note of the chord as opposed to using a simple 3 note chord. Chord inversions exist so you can change the range that a chord is in, and change the sound. I could play G in root position and move to C in root position, or I could do G in root position to C in second inversion and it would sound completely different. It absolutely matters where you put the chord IMO. This is something that separates music thats been programmed from music thats played; aesthetic decisions like how you move between chords are as much about the feel of an instrument as they're about the sound of the music.
Kinda already what I said.

Why do you only use intervals? With two notes you miss a lot of possibilities of expression.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #28
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

Learning music theory is such a great tool in expanding both oneself and ones musical creativity. It's not about rules or boundaries, it's about the exact opposite. When I started learning it myself, I got a much founder understanding of things I already heard - but could then better put into practical use.

So.. Yeah. Major or minor are both just tools. Either can make sad, happy or shitty music, all depending on the musician.

------------------
Sleep Paralysis Therapy

ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #29
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that it's still the same chord.

Kinda already what I said.

Why do you only use intervals? With two notes you miss a lot of possibilities of expression.
Yeah I was kind of just elaborating on your post, might have misinterpreted some of what you said.

You do miss some possibilities of expression but I like the ambiguity that comes with an interval... Its kind of empty and has a really unique sound as opposed to full chords. I'm not saying to not use full chords, but its important to remember that intervals can do interesting things on their own too. I just like the ambiguity that comes with an interval.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245853

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyt wembpang View Post
i use whatever sounds right and i don't bother whether it's major or minor or even an actual scale
Have you analysed much of your work to see what scale (if any) it ends up being in?

I've heard people say "I don't bother with scales, I just use my ear" and then when I listen to their music it turns out that they're just using a minor or major scale.
AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245853

Quote:
Yeah I was kind of just elaborating on your post, might have misinterpreted some of what you said.

You do miss some possibilities of expression but I like the ambiguity that comes with an interval... Its kind of empty and has a really unique sound as opposed to full chords. I'm not saying to not use full chords, but its important to remember that intervals can do interesting things on their own too. I just like the ambiguity that comes with an interval.
Plus if you start out with an interval and turn it into a chord, relieving the ambiguity, it can be very effective. When it turns into a chord it feels like a puzzle piece dropping into place.
AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumSeaker View Post
Plus if you start out with an interval and turn it into a chord, relieving the ambiguity, it can be very effective. When it turns into a chord it feels like a puzzle piece dropping into place.
Oh yeah. I like setting moods doing this and using a lot of suspended chords. Good stuff.

------------------
Sleep Paralysis Therapy

ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
JakeyF
Minor Glitch
JakeyF is a jewel in the roughJakeyF is a jewel in the roughJakeyF is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Not every interval works in every context.

Play a C major chord while playing a melody that starts with a C and then hit the A below. This is a "minor 3rd". While it is in scale, and the C major scale is as majory as it gets, well their is something "minorish" about using this interval. Do the same but hit C major then the B below. This is a "minor 2nd" but it is still in the C major scale.

The progression and the melodic intervals can be very contradictory and this is where a great deal of tension in music comes from. The perfect 5th may be neutral melodically, but harmonically it may or may not grate on the music you are doing.

Exact explanations can be pretty in depth and uses a lot of jargon but this is basically correct.

I think.

Last edited by JakeyF; 06-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Did a stoopid
JakeyF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #34
statisticquill
Ghostly
Calgary

Quote:

Play a C major chord while playing a melody that starts with a C and then hit the A below. This is a "minor 3rd". While it is in scale, and the C major scale is as majory as it gets, well their is something "minorish" about using this interval. Do the same but hit C major then the B below. This is a "minor 2nd" but it is still in the C major scale.

The progression and the melodic intervals can be very contradictory and this is where a great deal of tension in music comes from. The perfect 5th may be neutral melodically, but harmonically it may or may not grate on the music you are doing.

Exact explanations can be pretty in depth and uses a lot of jargon but this is basically correct.

I think.
Yeah you're exactly right. This is where modes come in though; you're (almost) always going to resolve to the I or V unless you're playing in a mode and your tonic is a different degree of the scale than the 1st note in the scale. As a result it still sounds like C major; unless you play something in a mode.

You can play something based around a C major scale but never hit C... There are many ways to use just a single scale, a lot of different things you can say.

Also, flip that interval and put the C on the bottom... Now you have a major 6th, which should have a "major" sound, but its still the same 2 notes being played. And what happens if you take your A - C minor third and then play an A above the C? Then you have a minor 3rd and a major 6th and an octave, but it doesn't exactly sound major or minor.

Theory is completely relative; the function of a minor 3rd in a C major scale is entirely dependent on the other notes being played, how your phrase resolves, what notes you put before and after it. (probably restating things people already know but I find this really interesting haha)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487504
Thanked 1,001 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:

I think.
In C major, an 'A' is a major SIXTH. A 'B' is a major SEVENTH. 'A' is a minor third in F# minor, and 'B' is a minor 2nd in A# phrygian. There's nothing "minorish" about using an 'A' in C Major, unless you are playing an A minor chord. The interval between A and C is 4 semitones, however, that really means nothing without the context of what key you are in.

What you said about fifths is pretty much right.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #36
statisticquill
Ghostly
Calgary

Quote:
In C major, an 'A' is a major SIXTH. A 'B' is a major SEVENTH. 'A' is a minor third in F# minor, and 'B' is a minor 2nd in A# phrygian. There's nothing "minorish" about using an 'A' in C Major, unless you are playing an A minor chord. The interval between A and C is 4 semitones, however, that really means nothing without the context of what key you are in.

What you said about fifths is pretty much right.
Interval naming convention is to always name the interval based on its lowest note, so if you have an A and a C above it, it is indeed a minor 3rd. Invert the interval and you'll get a major 6th. You call it a minor 3rd because in the A minor scale a C is a 3rd higher than an A, so it is a minor 3rd.

If you have a B and the C a semitone above it, its a minor 2nd. Invert it and you have a major 7th.

This is basically arguing semantics but A and C can form two different intervals in the key of C major, and its important to know which one you're talking about. So, yes and no, A and C do and don't form a major 6th/minor 3rd

Advertisements