skills needed for composer - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Ade Beats
Granular Poster
Ade Beats will become famous soon enoughAde Beats will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Re: skills needed for composer

If you are starting the best thing to do would be to learn triads - those are chords within a key - it will open a world of possibilities for you. You'll be 10 times stronger in composition, trust me and then learn chord progressions which will make you 15 times more..

Advertisements

Ade Beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Well it might help to own an instrument at some point but I suppose pen and paper would work too. Or maybe fart noises.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Beats View Post
If you are starting the best thing to do would be to learn triads - those are chords within a key - it will open a world of possibilities for you. You'll be 10 times stronger in composition, trust me and then learn chord progressions which will make you 15 times more..

This, and I can't speak to it's efficacy because I just started, but if you're already familiar with chords and music theory, grab a piano book of any general style you want to emulate or get a bunch of lead sheet and have at it.

Currently learning some Gospel piano goodness. :2gunsfiring_v1:
Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #24
KVillage1
Microknight
KVillage1 is currently spamming hard
Tzfat
MC Status: 10

I am actually studying in school to be a film/tv composer.I would say to focus on being as creative as possible with your music,learning basic music theory,notes and how to read music - if you want to arrange music for others to play you will need to know how to convert ur synth line for a trombone into readable music you know and there are nice programs that can do this like SIbelius which i am learning about now. Start making as much music as you can and experiment with different styles as well.Peace.

------------------
I make music from Israel and i have a really long beard - Also do some film composing.Peace.
http://soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage:victory:
KVillage1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #25
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVillage1 View Post
I am actually studying in school to be a film/tv composer.I would say to focus on being as creative as possible with your music,learning basic music theory,notes and how to read music - if you want to arrange music for others to play you will need to know how to convert ur synth line for a trombone into readable music you know and there are nice programs that can do this like SIbelius which i am learning about now. Start making as much music as you can and experiment with different styles as well.Peace.
Oh GOD! I can't even remember the name for that shit, when different instruments are tuned different so you have to transpose the tune and you still end up with the same tone. FUCK whoever is responsible for that shit.

Advertisements

Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote