How much does being in tune/key matter? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 17-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782
Re: How much does being in tune/key matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef Baker View Post
I mic up my balls and cock as tom toms and detune my left ball to a tritone of my right, then DRUMSOLO!!!!
Do you stretch your foreskin or scrotum to change keys?

I think my cock is in F# and I want to use it in my latest banger but it's in D and I don't want to sound unprofessional.

Advertisements

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

The fact that someone asked this is ...enough justification for a facepalm...
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
I think my cock is in F# and I want to use it in my latest banger but it's in D and I don't want to sound unprofessional.
Look at pictures of poodles - that should bring it down a few semi's.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

Just make sure if you do go out of key, it's for a good reason, example driving towards your tonic, also augmented chords are find too, just do what sounds good to your ears! Build some tension by taking your bottom note, and playing with an extra note on the chord or something.

Also, you can just take the root, or whatever note and move it an octave higher. 7th seems cool on the dominant, adds tension, no one expects you keep going, then resolve the progression.

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
:mayonesa::mayonesa:
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
The fact that someone asked this is ...enough justification for a facepalm...
I disagree. I asked it not because I think its illegal to get out of key / tune but I wondered how it was implemented to make it still sound good.

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 3060

That key thing has always bungled me, when I try to follow keys I make cheesy crap compositions. If I don't follow them & go the techno minimal route, then I'm alright. I guess it's usefull knowledge if you're doing more conventional types of music...

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonos View Post
I disagree. I asked it not because I think its illegal to get out of key / tune but I wondered how it was implemented to make it still sound good.
One good way I've used is tonal dynamics. Have a section where everything goes out of tune and off the wall and then when you go back in tune everything sounds so much sweeter.

Music at the end of the day is a time based structure and therefore largely about dynamics and almost any form can be used to create dynamics.

There's obvious volume dynamics, timbre dynamics (eg filtersweep) rhythmic dynamics (again, changing a beat, fairly obvious) and tonal dynamics which can be like the above or a key change that your ears take a bit of time to get used to but then you go "oh" happily after you've adjusted.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Jaar
Old 24-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Also if you listen to some forms of dance music a lot of it is atonal and more about pitch position than key, so note low, note really high, note middle etc.

Thought I'd give an actual real answer that didn't involve cock and balls.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Keef Baker
Muonos (24-04-2012)
Old 24-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
Blackmoore5050
Minor Glitch
Blackmoore5050 will become famous soon enough
Detroit, MI
MC Status: 60

I generally do not worry about staying in key too much. I just do what sounds right. I submitted a demo to a record label and they gave me crap about once of my songs that was a bit out of key. Now I understand why most of their artists are minimal techno producers.

Advertisements

Blackmoore5050 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote