Remaking your favorite tracks as a way to learn production
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 17-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
DeejayVex
Learning The Ropes
DeejayVex is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Remaking your favorite tracks as a way to learn production

Hi everyone, just to give you guys a background on me, I've been learning EDM production for almost exactly a year now, but in the past dabbled in recording DAWs so I wasn't completely new to music theory/music production.

I feel like I'm currently stuck in my learning and can't ever make my own tracks since I always get stuck so I've been trying to spend my time doing remakes of tracks so that I can learn how to find/make the sounds that I like and also learn how other producers transition from different parts of songs to keep things interesting.

Do you guys think this is a good way to learn for someone who is as new as me (only a year of experience)?
Also here's a link to the most recent remake I've been trying to work on the past few days: Avicii - Silhouettes

I try to get myself into creating my own songs, but man it is so hard.

Advertisements

DeejayVex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
John_SD
Regular Freak
John_SD will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Remaking your favorite tracks as a way to learn production

Hi!
I'm a newbie to whole EDM/IDM stuff by myself too, I've been producing about two years now and I can say that yes it is a good method of learning to analyze other peoples productions.

I haven't remade any songs ,and probably will not, but I've been studying more about the song structures and how the transitions between different parts are made.

If you're very, very, newbie to the whole music stuff in terms of musical theory and such I suggest that you first learn the basics stuff about rhythm, chords and scales.

It also helps tremendously if you're unemployed and got nothing else to do than spend your days on the front of computer with internet full of information about audio production.

Not saying that you should quit your job if you happen to have one
John_SD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
DeejayVex
Learning The Ropes
DeejayVex is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_SD View Post
Hi!
I'm a newbie to whole EDM/IDM stuff by myself too, I've been producing about two years now and I can say that yes it is a good method of learning to analyze other peoples productions.

I haven't remade any songs ,and probably will not, but I've been studying more about the song structures and how the transitions between different parts are made.

If you're very, very, newbie to the whole music stuff in terms of musical theory and such I suggest that you first learn the basics stuff about rhythm, chords and scales.

It also helps tremendously if you're unemployed and got nothing else to do than spend your days on the front of computer with internet full of information about audio production.

Not saying that you should quit your job if you happen to have one
Hey, yeah man the hard part is that I do know the basics of music theory and all that. Took piano lessons in junior high/high school, one music theory class in college, and in college I started learning about recording through Reaper (another DAW if you've ever heard of it). I work 9-5 and am am single so I try to spend a lot of my free time on learning this electronic music stuff.

I kinda got discouraged with production so I stopped for a few months but recently got inspired again and finally got Ableton so I've been more motivated.
DeejayVex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
chiptraxxx
Soundwave Mangler
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I somtimes try to make a similar track with the same sounds as an old track it is like gettinf inside your favourite track. Not for learning just more fun playing than listening :-B

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
KChozen
Minor Glitch
KChozen is a jewel in the roughKChozen is a jewel in the roughKChozen is a jewel in the rough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 260

Remaking tracks you like is an amazing way to learn. One thing I did that helped me a lot was do a TON of tutorials via youtube. You can pretty much find anything on there. For example if I was struggling with creating a good sounding bass... I would search up tutorials on it. I would dedicate an hour a day to sound-design basses and save the ones I liked.

I would do that for basses, supersaws, chord progressions, kicks, snares etc. Eventually you'll have a library of sounds you designed and can start piecing things together to make your own unique track.

Hope that helps! Cheers.
KChozen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
klavierr
Minor Glitch
klavierr is a jewel in the roughklavierr is a jewel in the roughklavierr is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I've only semi-tried this once on a cheap music making app, before I even knew what synthesis was.
Remaking a favorite track to make it as close as possible is apparently an excellent way to learn? count me in. I think I'll spend the rest of tonight trying to re-create some BoC song or something...
klavierr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534551

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayVex View Post
Do you guys think this is a good way to learn for someone who is as new as me (only a year of experience)?
NO, You basically just learn by continually making tracks and a few years down the line the penny just seems to drop.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

In the rock world, it's called a cover. And yeah it's a good way to learn how to mix, but don't get into the habit of copying other music.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

is it good to try and remake other people for learning purposes:yes
is it good to try and remake avicii for learning purposes: FUCK NO!!!!
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Vlantis (04-02-2014)
Old 22-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

i'd say its a smart idea.. your learning tips on how the producer made the track.. you can take those tips and add it to your productionz

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #11
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

why do a remake?

you could just as easily analyze and reproduce someone else's track, measure for measure... only with your own melodies and ideas. steal the production style but not the musical content.

in the end, after all the work you have something other than a copy of someone else's track...

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Vlantis (04-02-2014)
Old 22-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch
wierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Smart thinking! I agree with you. And know what how about some of you guys would post what happens after doing a song out of structure and tech stuff you've learned from analyzing that song or remake.

It would be interesting to listen how it went all for us. It is very good method of becoming better at this craft.

I'll add my track later here

Or if ya want we can all make other thread to this idea
wierdsnow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #13
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayVex View Post
Hi everyone, just to give you guys a background on me, I've been learning EDM production for almost exactly a year now, but in the past dabbled in recording DAWs so I wasn't completely new to music theory/music production.

I feel like I'm currently stuck in my learning and can't ever make my own tracks since I always get stuck so I've been trying to spend my time doing remakes of tracks so that I can learn how to find/make the sounds that I like and also learn how other producers transition from different parts of songs to keep things interesting.

Also here's a link to the most recent remake I've been trying to work on the past few days: Avicii - Silhouettes

I try to get myself into creating my own songs, but man it is so hard.
yeah for sure.

The more you make whatever imitating or original you learn and acquire knowledge and tools to use later.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Suffice
Analog Lurker
Suffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of light
South Portland, Maine
MC Status: 510

I like to go back to my old files with midi and change em up on my originals. Make like a 2.0, sometimes it turns out better than before with a whole new direction. plus youve prolly gained some xp by then and will be able to notice key issues that you wouldnt have noticed before. Im talking a track thats a good 6 month-yr old tho.
Suffice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #15
keith909
Minor Glitch
keith909 will become famous soon enoughkeith909 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Right at very beginning it's could be a good idea to re-create other peoples tracks to give you a chance to learn your DAW and music theory, listening skills etc.

But as soon as you're got the hang of your DAW you should be making (original) crap song after crap song. Try not to give up on a track just follow the process through to completion. Then review your crap making note of what you did well, did better, did the same, did crap. The more you do it the better you will get.
keith909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
Scottnofx142
Analog Lurker
Scottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MC
Santa Barbara, CA
MC Status: 20225

I use this technique pretty often. Although I don't try to reproduce the actual sounds, what I do is create a track for each instrument I hear, and add in piano rolls in the appropriate position in my track. This way I can visualize when the artist is adding/pulling tracks. Finally, I add a track that I draw an automation curve on. This curve represents the overall energy of the track. It's really effective!

Advertisements

------------------
Scottnofx142 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote