glitchy/electro synth sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 16-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
T-CHANG
Microknight
T-CHANG will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
glitchy/electro synth sound

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to make this glitchy/electro type of effect that I hear a lot in EDM for drops, especially in dubstep. A couple of examples:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at 1:30
at 1:35

My question is, how does one go about making a electro, dubstep synth lead like that?

I figured it has something to do with LFOs so I've tried to assign an LFO that cycles very fast onto the filter cutoff and/or pitch, plus a little distortion, and it ends up getting somewhere but it doesn't have the big, filthy sound it needs. This is how far I got:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by T-CHANG; 16-02-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: realized link didn't work

Advertisements

T-CHANG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660
Re: glitchy/electro synth sound

I would try throwing a LFO on on the pitch. Also and / or filter + insane amounts of resonance.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
T-CHANG
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
I would try throwing a LFO on on the pitch. Also and / or filter + insane amounts of resonance.
I tried that, but resonance messes up the LFO on the filter cutoff, which I need. I totally agree that the LFO on pitch is key. I think the problem might be in the oscillators now--I've been doing square+sine, any other thoughts?
Old 16-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

i did a free bank for i posted on face book a while back thats for dubstep and moonbathon the way i make them on there is saw waves with filter and pitch modulation. really easy to make.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
T-CHANG
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
i did a free bank for i posted on face book a while back thats for dubstep and moonbathon the way i make them on there is saw waves with filter and pitch modulation. really easy to make.
What do you mean, pitch modulation? Like vibrato?
Old 17-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC

mod env to pitch semi that gives the wobble attack (with the amount at around -30 to -35)then just add a square or saw wave with a higher semi tone (around plus 12 ) if you want to know how to make lazers just take the amount of the mod env to pitch semi to around plus 12 insted
ill post up a couple of patches if you fancy it.
basically just grab any synth that lets you modulate the attack of the synth via the envelope through pitch and has a square or saw wave.

Last edited by joem; 17-02-2014 at 12:36 AM..
Old 17-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Well you've got it pretty similar to the synth in IDGAFOS its all about processing from there. Try some bitcrush and EQ. Also you could add an envelope to the filter cutoff off to give it some vowel movement if you want some of that. As for what was mentioned about the pitch envelope, you just got to have an envelope with no attack sustain or release, just a very short decay (which you must tweak to taste) and assign that to the pitch making the pitch go down an octave (12 semi-tones) and then move your synth up an octave. What it does is it makes the pitch go quickly from 12 semi tones higher back down to the original pitch and that quick movement gives the sound a much fatter transient. Short decay envelopes are nifty for sound design in general, try using them on anything from filter cutoff to volume to pitch to resonance etc...
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CallAndResponse
T-CHANG (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
T-CHANG
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
Well you've got it pretty similar to the synth in IDGAFOS its all about processing from there. Try some bitcrush and EQ. Also you could add an envelope to the filter cutoff off to give it some vowel movement if you want some of that. As for what was mentioned about the pitch envelope, you just got to have an envelope with no attack sustain or release, just a very short decay (which you must tweak to taste) and assign that to the pitch making the pitch go down an octave (12 semi-tones) and then move your synth up an octave. What it does is it makes the pitch go quickly from 12 semi tones higher back down to the original pitch and that quick movement gives the sound a much fatter transient. Short decay envelopes are nifty for sound design in general, try using them on anything from filter cutoff to volume to pitch to resonance etc...
Wow, thanks! That really brought it a lot closer--I'll keep short decay envelopes in mind! I actually found that making the short decay envelope move the pitch UP an octave instead of DOWN sounded better, but yeah.

One more thing--I notice in IDGAFOS though the sound changes slightly along the way, and I can't quite make out if it's some automation or different synths altogether, anyone have thoughts?

Last edited by T-CHANG; 17-02-2014 at 02:11 AM..
Old 17-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

here a tip i do for mix-downs (easiest and possibly the laziest way ) is to keep all the sounds peaking at 0db with bit crushing clipping compression etc and send them to a buss with just a limiter on that one channel and call it mid bass bus or something along that and turn that one channel down so it do sent peak over your drums. (i usually have my kick at around -6 so i put it usually around the -12 mark )
Old 06-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #10
crystopsy
Learning The Ropes
crystopsy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

thank you

Advertisements

crystopsy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote