Ableton 'Utility' Phaze
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 30-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Thugson
Regular Freak
Thugson is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Ableton 'Utility' Phaze

Ableton Users: I have been messing around with the left and right "Phz" effect on the utility plugin recently. However, I'm not sure when exactly it should be used. I guess it moves things around in the stereo field? It definitely has an interesting effect on the placement of sounds in the mix. Does anybody else use this effect regularly, or have any suggestions of good ways to use it? When not to use it?

Cheers

Advertisements

Thugson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Thugson Klitsner
Old 30-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19960
Re: Ableton 'Utility' Phaze

Best use of utility is volume automation imho, because it leaves you the track fader for mixing.
Btw 'Phz' inverts the audio seperately for each channel.

Read [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
about Live's Utility Fx.

Cheers

Last edited by Schnork; 30-05-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts
Ableton 'Utility' Phaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Best use of utility is volume automation imho, because it leaves you the track fader for mixing.

Yeah that and making tracks mono is what I use it for

Haven't really used the phase setting although I could imagine using it to cancel out certain parts of effected tracks by inverting the phase on them and summing them with the pre FX source.

Edit: a good use of this is to cancel out the source sound from sends. This removes the usual amplification you get when sending something through send effects because it only leaves the effect on the send track (and not the source). This is something I should start using more myself.

Last edited by professurreal; 31-05-2016 at 05:27 AM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1360
Re: Ableton 'Utility' Phaze

I use the utility for 2 things. Volume animation and Widening certain sounds. Widening may be the wrong term to use here, so I'll give an example. I usually have a stereo drum mix that I like to use. I.E. So the drums sound like they're in the place they actually are on the kit. I usually pan the hi-hat to the left a bit, snare and kick always front and center, cymbals as placed throughout - such as ride on the right. Putting this to toms gives it a "roll" feel when doing rolls instead of just that roll sound. You can feel the toms moving from left to right (hi/low) for example. Not sure how much sense that makes, if any. I'm bad at explanations

EDIT: This does not mean pan it all the way. Just so it's a little more left heavy. You should be able to still hear all the cymbals and toms through a mono headset or one where the left/right earbud is not working.

If something is dancey or club-like though, I usually don't because a mono-mix is best in these scenarios. Depends on what you're making I woulds say.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote