Making the modern dance claps
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
claudedefaren
Minor Glitch
claudedefaren has a spectacular aura aboutclaudedefaren has a spectacular aura aboutclaudedefaren has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Making the modern dance claps

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

I've been trying to make the kind of claps like Madeon and BT and everyone else make, like for example, in this song:

(Vervoeren by BT)

I have all the NI synths/samplers at my disposal, and recently bought FabFilter Twin 2 (just an hour ago!), for what that is worth. Also have Ableton Suite.

So far I've been using Ableton's Analog, just taking white noise and filtering it to get the right sounding range, but I can never get it to sound like any of the pros.

I recently watched this tutorial video, but it sucks

So, is anyone here familiar with making these kinds of claps? Or.. are artists like BT and Madeon just using sample packs? I've been using sample packs but I have been trying to move in the direction of synthesizing all my drum sounds from scratch.

Advertisements

------------------
claudedefaren is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 75724
Thanked 1,263 Times in 781 Posts
Re: Making the modern dance claps

If you decide to do something in Reaktor, this guy will guide you in the right direction:

I'm not sure of your knowledge with building, and it isn't like that clap I know, but from here you can make a few changes, maybe a highpass filter, saturation/slight distortion, maybe add a saw and pulse for a very short duration to give it a "pop" at first... If you are looking for a good drum synth, there is one in the native instruments user library titled "drummachinewsky" that uses some of the same sorts of methods. You might need to double your oscillators up in order to get something that has more beef to it. Hope that was helpful, sorry if it wasn't.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

just use a sample.

i mean, as an academic measure go ahead and twiddle knobs until you are blue in the face, but I'm fairly certain the above mentioned artists just use samples and layer/process.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Honestly, a few layered 808 or 909 clap samples, maybe a couple real hand clap samples if you're feeling adventurous, maybe a filtered snare sample for good measure, maybe even some extra white noise, and that's basically 98% of dance music claps. Just EQ them a bit to brighten them up/ tighten up the mid range, and COMPRESS. Like, heavy multiband compression, some moderate single-band compression after that, and a compressor on your drum buss. If you think you're over-compressing your clap, you're not compressing enough.

Oh, and don't forget a nice bright, short reverb too, that'll help.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
claudedefaren
Minor Glitch
claudedefaren has a spectacular aura aboutclaudedefaren has a spectacular aura aboutclaudedefaren has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Thanks for the recs guys..

------------------
claudedefaren is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Headpilot
Soundwave Mangler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3010

Last edited by Headpilot; 07-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: .
Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
alteredtensions
alteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 156639

A big part of the sound is slightly nudging the clap ahead of the beat.

Advertisements

------------------
alteredtensions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote