< < < Soundscapes Challenge > > > - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200210
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,979 Posts
Re: < < < Soundscapes Challenge > > >

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Nah man. I'm so stoked. I'm just really hyped to really but the Analog 4 through some serious soundscape experiments <3 Thanks for running this.
Hey..no worries, my pleasure..but I'm just tipping the ball at kick-off..what you guys do with it, where it ends up and what the final score is going to be is anyone's guess.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 AM   #22
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

5-10 minutes... Hmm, would be my longest tune ever.

Also, soundscape = ambient?

Is it allowed to write melodies etc? Or is it supposed to be "a real space"?

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
A.M (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #23
Sound--
Granular Poster
Sound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post

The other thread had a few examples of what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
was looking for. Maybe he can post a few again?
Sound-- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sound--
A.M (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #24
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:

@ [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
:

Definition of soundscape, as it appears on [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: "..a mélange (mixture) of musical and sometimes nonmusical sounds"

Sorry if the time length rule is a "put-off" for you..they tend to be that long, due to the "developing" nature of soundscapes in general.

Yes..a soundscape is an ambient piece..but what the ambiance of the piece is up to you. Some soundscapes make the listener think about certain things and/or feel a certain way..while others are less direct, acting as background sound / noise. Just like other styles of music, the soundscape genre comes in many flavors, with Dark, Drone, Cinematic, Industrial, Space, Nature and Noise being the main ones.

Regarding the use of melodies..yeah, you can do that..I tend to do it a lot myself. But if you do, then it tends to work best if you keep it "minimal" and low-key..it's all about creating an ambiance and any melody should just be a part of that and not stand out too much, like it usually would in any other genre.

The "real space" type you're referring to usually tends to fall under the "Nature" or "Industrial" soundscape themes, though the goal of all soundscapes is to make a piece that reflects a real space and wouldn't sound out of place if played there...but that's a bit of a "way down the road" from where we are here and now.

That said, don't worry too much about it..one of the main underlying "side-effects" of these challenges is you get build your soundscape production skills and have fun. I don't think anyone here expects anyone taking part to be a nature-born Brian Eno..and the part about this being all about "producing a QUALITY soundscape" has more to do with developing a better standard or use of the likes of EQ, REVERB, DELAY, ATTACK, than it is does about how you compose a piece. Basically, you need to focus on the quality of the sound, rather than the quality of the composition itself, if that makes any sense. If you do that, then I think you'll find all of this will be a lot easier than it perhaps seems to be right now.

@ [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
:

Thanks for drawing my attention to this.I honestly hadn't noticed the example videos weren't transferred over when the threads were merged. I'll slap a few more up in the first post of the thread in a while.

Last edited by A.M; 04-12-2017 at 03:14 PM..

------------------
Thanks to A.M
-Agu- (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #25
A.M

OK..I just added some video examples..take them a "loose guide only" and run with it yourselves.

Plus, if you're totally new to producing Soundscapses, I've added a link just under the last example video to an old..but good..article, that shows you "step by step" how to create a simple, basic soundscape.

Also, I can't urge you enough to really listen to what you are doing! When it coems to producing soundsacpes, a lot depends on the balance you have between sounds..setting up the soundstage..and to do that well, you really need to listen to what you are doing and what each element in the mix is doing..perhaps a little more than you would do in other genres, which tend to focus mostly on spacing the stereo field (panning and placement).

When producing a soundscape, you have to focus just as much..if not equally..on the depth of the piece (volume and reverb). You're basically painting a mental picture with sound.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Sound-- (04-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #26
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Alright, thx. Gonna give it a go and see how it turns out. Listened to a few of the example tracks too.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
A.M (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #27
A.M

Quote:
Alright, thx. Gonna give it a go and see how it turns out. Listened to a few of the example tracks too.
Cool..glad you're up for it..just remember it's an on-going thing and supposed to be fun. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with..

------------------
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #28
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910

I keep trying to work on my song, but I keep falling asleep.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #29
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
I keep trying to work on my song, but I keep falling asleep.
Sounds like you're on the right track, J.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
TheStumps (05-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #30
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28510

Not sure if I'm done. After listening to the samples, I think there is enough there, but there's also definitely room for more. I'll wait and see how I feel about it.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #31
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

I love that I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #32
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Not sure if I'm done. After listening to the samples, I think there is enough there, but there's also definitely room for more. I'll wait and see how I feel about it.

No rush..plenty of time..don't force it. That's a common enough mistake some make, when producing soundscapes..that and slipping back into their usual way of production thinking. At the risk of sounding all arty, just let it take you where it wants to go. Feel it rather than think it.

------------------
Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #33
A.M

Quote:
That's actually a pretty cool state of mind to be in for doing this..seriously. I'm pretty damn sure most of the best soundscapes I've heard were born that way..and I know some of mine were, too. I think the uncertainty adds to the flow and evolution of the piece, unlike other styles or genres of music, that depend on a more solid structure..and premeditated way of thinking.

Once you have the sounds you want to use, then it's all fun from there on..or it should be.

------------------
Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #34
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska

Automatic volume controllers in cars are the death bringer of ambient music!
Booooo!
Who the hell designs that feature into a car?!

(Sorry, rant. I was in a car today that does this and it was just the most bizzare experience...like Stalinist music. 'Your music is better this way because we say so.')

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #35
Sound--
Granular Poster
Sound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
I feel the same. At the same time I am excited to try something new and perhaps break out of some bad ruts I keep falling into.
Sound-- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sound--
A.M (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #36
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
That's actually a pretty cool state of mind to be in for doing this..seriously. I'm pretty damn sure most of the best soundscapes I've heard were born that way..and I know some of mine were, too. I think the uncertainty adds to the flow and evolution of the piece, unlike other styles or genres of music, that depend on a more solid structure..and premeditated way of thinking.

Once you have the sounds you want to use, then it's all fun from there on..or it should be.
Yes. I like that the structure of the tune is kind of defined by the ebb and flow of the field recording. The arrangement is kind of pre-determined in a sense. As you said, letting the piece go in the direction it wants is a good strategy here.

I think for this one I may use the field recording as my only audio source.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (06-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #37
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
Alaska

Yay! I finished!

I'll wrap it up and post tomorrow, hopefully.

------------------
Thanks to TheStumps
A.M (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #38
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
Yay! I finished!

I'll wrap it up and post tomorrow, hopefully.
Cool..really looking forward to giving it a listen. :victory:

------------------
Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #39
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
Alaska

Alright, here's my entry.

I went with interpreting the sample audio into the format of the song itself, so the entire song is one large wave structure with wave-like patterns within it structurally.
Due to this nature, I chose to do something I love doing any chance I can get away with it, and made the arrangement of the song a [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Enjoyably, one instrument (which spreads texturally over three tracks) was able to take the chiasmus structure quite literally and nearly exactly reverse itself note-for-note in the second half from the first half.

I also took the opportunity of not having drums to make the song in 3/4 timing instead of 4/4, which allows for more interesting melodic structures than 4/4.

Though the song is symmetrical, I didn't make it a perfect symmetry. Firstly, I don't think that would even quite work out, but the main reason for skipping on perfect symmetry is that nature isn't perfect with symmetry so we're just not really used to that idea. Symmetrical things need to be just slightly off between the two sides of each other - like faces, leafs, trees, etc... so that the overall impression is symmetrical, but close examination shows that the impression is only an impression - that differences do exist.

The wave audio field recording plays through the whole song and reverses itself half-way through, however, during the "middle" section, the wave audio file is moved through an amplifier (and a bunch of other stuff) and is turned into organically moving white-noise as a result; and is not likely recognizable as waves any further.

I decided to make a piece on the ambience of Chernobyl's wilderness; which is beautiful, serene, warped, sad, horrific, creepy and touching all at once. It's organic, but just slightly warped synthetically.
I used this to inspire the way the song is effected and designed - for instance, I added dirty pops and clicks in to emulate the impression of a Geiger counter, and even the audio file when recognizable as waves is heavily filtered to give it a silky yet slightly metallic touch.
Juxtapositions of parts and melodies are mostly correct, but in a couple of fleeting moments, they conflict just a hair - "natural", but then just slightly off once in a while, if you're looking close enough.
While notes were written in many parts, where possible, I would run multiple bars sustained with one note and create the melodic rhythm and parts of the melody by employing effects to achieve the same result I first outlined with actual individual notes. I did this because this creates a slight inconsistency periodically like a droopy face muscle of a radiated kitten. You want to say it's pretty and cute, because it's a kitten - it's normally pleasing, but it droops in places just slightly off, but when you look again, it's not droopy again - now everything's back in its right place.
This is most notably presented in the "main melody" instrument of the "middle" section (the one that is perfectly mirrored in the notes from itself on both halves of the song - the melody line marked in red on the DAW picture).

The repetitious wapping bass effect was done for entrainment effects - to give a sense of a dream like state and to soak out the empty space, so that the song felt open (which was accomplished through a heavy amount of L/R balancing and stereo shaping to put sounds exactly around you where I wanted them), but while still open, thick in the air. Like a meadow filled with a thick fog and mist.

This song took about every ounce of skill I have to balance and organize just right (due to the amount of effects and automation, it also pushed my computer right up to just below the boundary of its capacities during playback).
It also took a huge emotional tax to work on because I like things that are tenuous and crying, and while I don't vocalize and I'm not playing an instrument, I compose based on harnessing my emotion for the subject in hand and the tension and stress in this was a lot to endure repeatedly while working on it.

I definitely enjoyed working on this, but I'm VERY relieved to be finished with it. My nerves need a break!

For some fun, I compiled the arrangement within the DAW into an image, so here's what the song physically looks like:
Song time!

Cheers!
TheStumps

------------------
Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #40
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

So when you say no percussion could you be a bit more specific? We can have rhythmic elements right? But if lik 99% of people would call something “percussion” we should keep it out of our entries?

Advertisements

------------------