"Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-06-2017, 03:28 AM   #121
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110
Re: "Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
If you are making hip hop, dance or anything adjacent you really can't beat a good groovebox : ) The Electribe ESX started it all for me...
Thought about getting an ESX. I have a volca sample, which is great for punchy drums, but it's such a P.I.A to load, and it can't transpose, so it's more an FX sound bite player really.
So, I was thinking of picking up an old rack sampler. I find lofi sampling more interesting than the super hi quality sampling, that everything has these days.

I started off making Techno, but have now come to my own style of sleazy synth music, which is why I love the RM1x and it's sequencer. I even quite like the old sounds on it, which can be beefed up without to much effort. The only downside is having to hire a clairvoyant with a ouija board to decipher the manual.

Advertisements

Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 03:51 AM   #122
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Maschine. Still, to me, the best creative tool I own. It's workflow, especially in the new 2.5.6 version using Maschine Studio, Jam, and Kontrol keyboard is just so seamless. Generate patterns, arrange them on the fly, record into Logic. It's like interacting with hardware, just without the hassle.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #123
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564780
Thanked 7,477 Times in 5,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Thought about getting an ESX. I have a volca sample, which is great for punchy drums, but it's such a P.I.A to load, and it can't transpose, so it's more an FX sound bite player really.
So, I was thinking of picking up an old rack sampler. I find lofi sampling more interesting than the super hi quality sampling, that everything has these days.

I started off making Techno, but have now come to my own style of sleazy synth music, which is why I love the RM1x and it's sequencer. I even quite like the old sounds on it, which can be beefed up without to much effort. The only downside is having to hire a clairvoyant with a ouija board to decipher the manual.
I bought a rack sampler once. Really uninpsiring interface for me and I don't feel like it did anything to the sound I couldn't with some simple VSTs or resampling methods. I recently got myself a Bastl MicroGranny. It will scratch the lo-fi itch while giving you a fun little box to jam on. Getting sounds on it couldn't be easier.

If you are set on the rack sampler, I do always encourage people to go their own way and try things themselves. There is a guy that comes around once in a while to post tunes he makes on old rack samples, a lot of really cool Jungle/breakcore type tracks.

Last edited by relic; 14-06-2017 at 04:33 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Val Stephen
Old 14-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #124
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:

I feel you on the lo-fi aspect. However, sampling some old tape hiss and vinyl crackling and running it all through a dirty saturator (Saturn is my go to tool) as well as a bitcrusher on 8 bit setting (Decimort is nice) usually does the job. Then resample and you're good. I think I even came across plugins that do nothing but emulate the sound of tape and vinyl.

------------------

Old 14-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #125
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I feel you on the lo-fi aspect. However, sampling some old tape hiss and vinyl crackling and running it all through a dirty saturator (Saturn is my go to tool) as well as a bitcrusher on 8 bit setting (Decimort is nice) usually does the job. Then resample and you're good. I think I even came across plugins that do nothing but emulate the sound of tape and vinyl.
TAL Audio's new sampler VST has a bunch of vintage emulation stuff on it.

But yea...actually Demicort + Saturn would be my new go to as well. If you are really going for an 80s or 90s feel, its actually going to be pretty subtle IMO. Usually something that you don't miss until its gone. It won't be overt color or noise IMO.

Saturn is totally worth every penny, really, as far as really good soudning mild to wild saturation goes. It only gets to distortion on its most extreme settings. Which is great, there is tons of sweet spot for subtle, which I find really useful. Incidentally, if you are looking for some good straightforward distortion, D16 Devistator is great good as well. Nice filter and clipping options.

------------------
Old 14-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #126
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
TAL Audio's new sampler VST has a bunch of vintage emulation stuff on it.

But yea...actually Demicort + Saturn would be my new go to as well. If you are really going for an 80s or 90s feel, its actually going to be pretty subtle IMO. Usually something that you don't miss until its gone. It won't be overt color or noise IMO.

Saturn is totally worth every penny, really, as far as really good soudning mild to wild saturation goes. It only gets to distortion on its most extreme settings. Which is great, there is tons of sweet spot for subtle, which I find really useful. Incidentally, if you are looking for some good straightforward distortion, D16 Devistator is great good as well. Nice filter and clipping options.
Coolest part... Saturn has modulation sources built in, so you can have an envelope controlling saturation. Yeah, and side chain input, it's got that, too. It's the closest to the Analog Heat. It somehow tends to end up on most of my individual busses. Lean on your CPU, too. The whole FabFilter suite is just a real joy to use. Timeless and the new Reverb are awesome. The bread and butter MB compressor, EQ, gate, and limiter get a lot of use. Only Volcano I'm not really sold on.

------------------

Old 14-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #127
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I must confess, that I don't use a computer, bar grabing and loading samples into the Volca. I did start on a computer, but I prefer the way hardware makes me think and work. It's also the mix of new and old hardware that has brought me to my sound, and style of music. Kind of looking at something like a Yamaha A3000, to single sample my synths and stuff, to dirty them up playing them down an octave.
Old 14-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #128
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I must confess, that I don't use a computer, bar grabing and loading samples into the Volca. I did start on a computer, but I prefer the way hardware makes me think and work. It's also the mix of new and old hardware that has brought me to my sound, and style of music. Kind of looking at something like a Yamaha A3000, to single sample my synths and stuff, to dirty them up playing them down an octave.
Well, there is an fx pedal that uses real tape, perhaps a vintage sampler would do, or adding a reel to reel. I like to add bit reduction and distortion to samples when using an Octatrack or the wore recently added MPC Live.

------------------

Old 14-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #129
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Well, there is an fx pedal that uses real tape, perhaps a vintage sampler would do, or adding a reel to reel. I like to add bit reduction and distortion to samples when using an Octatrack or the wore recently added MPC Live.
That's why I'm looking at the A3000, as it does it very well, and does sound nice. I have an old Boss VF-1 that can do bit reduction, but it's not the same as sampling.
Old 14-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #130
Wasteface
Minor Glitch
Wasteface is just really niceWasteface is just really niceWasteface is just really niceWasteface is just really niceWasteface is just really nice
Brizzle!
MC Status: 410

Well I finally got a Push 2 second hand from a workmate, it was a little hard to wrap my head round initially (mainly because I've only been this production-marlarky for a couple of months) but now its a real pleasure to use. Was originally using a Novation Launchpad mini (w/Launchpad95 mappings) before, however velocity sensitive pads make all the difference!

Glad I got it now before I've formed any particular workflow habits
Wasteface is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #131
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Analog Rytm, no doubt about it.

Before that machine changed my way of producing, Eurorack definitely had a big impact on production workflow too.
Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Detroit-Berlin
relic (16-06-2017)
Old 16-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #132
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Berlin View Post

Before that machine changed my way of producing, Eurorack definitely had a big impact on production workflow too.
Id love to get my hands on a RTYM some day.

------------------
Old 16-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #133
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to beholdDetroit-Berlin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Id love to get my hands on a RTYM some day.
Or a Digitact, I most of the time use not much more than my Rytm's sample section + filter and drive with the analog engine just as a subtile layer ontop.
Thanks to Detroit-Berlin
relic (16-06-2017)
Old 17-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #134
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Berlin View Post

Curious in what way the Rytm changed matters for you. Conditional trigs, LFO anywhere, and p-locks to me were the biggies. And performer mode, albeit some think it's getting overused.

------------------

Old 17-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #135
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Curious in what way the Rytm changed matters for you. Conditional trigs, LFO anywhere, and p-locks to me were the biggies. And performer mode, albeit some think it's getting overused.
Those are indeed important features of the Rytm, most of those the Machinedrum also has so that didn't change my producing as much as the easy way samples can be processed.
I find it an incredible intuitive piece of gear to use.

I often take some samples and loop those microscopically so I get kind of a custom waveform and then the fun really starts
Currently Listening To: DigitalA - Headset of Hate
Thanks to Detroit-Berlin
liquid_air (17-06-2017)
Old 25-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #136
Ruuksine
Regular Freak
Ruuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 210
Re: "defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

Quote:
It wasn't my first piece of hardware but the ESX (Electribe Sampler) totally changed how I made music.
I relate strongly to this as well, and I've gone from being completely in the box to almost all hardware, then back to a hybrid setup again too.
The ESX really was a game changer though, even over the full functionality of a DAW.
The problem with a DAW is you've got too many options, and it can feel awfully clinical and uninspiring to create things with a mouse and a keyboard, and even with a midi keyboard hooked up.
The knobs on the ESX, being able to record their motions, feels much better than a DAW and the ability to create patterns, then create variations of patterns, then chain them together into songs.
I keep coming back to the ESX cause the workflow on it is great
Ruuksine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #137
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Just in case I never said it -- I know I have -- the Elektron Analog 4 is, hands down, the most influential piece of gear I've owned to date.

------------------
Old 26-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #138
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8760

Drum machines... Period. I still miss em.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #139
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

My Maschine, since it made me ditch my DAW and try to work with it exclusively.. my goal is to first learn it like you'd learn an instrument, and only then add more complexity to my setup gradually, like extra desktop synths.. you can never have enough desktop synths.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #140
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by localspace View Post
My Maschine, since it made me ditch my DAW and try to work with it exclusively.. my goal is to first learn it like you'd learn an instrument, and only then add more complexity to my setup gradually, like extra desktop synths.. you can never have enough desktop synths.
Maschine is the tits. I recently sold my MKI, but only because it wasnt quite right for my workflow. Solid piece of gear! And a solid midi sequencer for external gear

Advertisements

------------------