Who's into Soundscapes on here? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts
Re: Who's into Soundscapes on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Just spitballing here, but I have a few ideas to contribute:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but similarly to the beat battles we could have a pot of specific field recordings to draw from to use as inspiration for any of the loose 'competition' stuff. Maybe something similar could be just a small part of the grand scheme of everything, but a potentially cool one nonetheless.

I also think this could go far if it was even stretched to encompass soundscapes, drone, noise, and pretty much all of that 'outsider' music that typically colors outside of the lines of a grid. There's a lot of gray area in there, but I think that's kind of what I'm getting at.

I'd also be willing to dust off old decks and do some dubbing for any possible cassette releases, if that ever became a thing.

Thanks for those, V..appreciate your input on this.

Off the bat, I say stick with just one supplied field recording..just to keep things on the level and so everyone knows what everyone is working with..plus it makes it a little easier to compare submitted tracks, as they all share the same "root beginnings" or track bed, if you know what I mean.

I think your second suggestion is a great one..mainly because I already have that as one of the "rules" for this if it took off. Basically sticking with the one field recording rule for each challenge, but letting the "host" state the ambient genre or style of the challenge, like what's currently done with each BB. This way we get to dabble in a lot of ambient areas, but they would all be soundscapes..just different styles.

And as for your kind offer of doing a little dubbing..ya never know, you might be called upon to do just that at some stage.

Thanks again for the suggestions and offering to get involved more deeply in this..nice one. :victory:

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #22
dada_davros
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 12910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I'd also be willing to dust off old decks and do some dubbing for any possible cassette releases, if that ever became a thing.
I've seen quite a few labels selling cassette releases lately. In particular when the music has 80's synth or post punk influences, put in some pseudo home xeroxed artwork and ta da 1984 is now available on bandcamp.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #23
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada_davros View Post
Sure count me in. I do like to dabble in some of the ambients from time to time. Peoples' interest may wane after a few but I think there is enough of us intrigued for it to be going concern for awhile.
Nice one, DD..welcome aboard the ambient express..or should that be the ambient crawl?

------------------
Old 12-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #24
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 69910
Thanked 1,398 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada_davros View Post
I've seen quite a few labels selling cassette releases lately. In particular when the music has 80's synth or post punk influences, put in some pseudo home xeroxed artwork and ta da 1984 is now available on bandcamp.
Weirdly, a lot of noise / drone / 'scape labels just stuck with the medium as opposed to returning to it later

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #25
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

I'd be more interested if the rules encouraged participants to make their own field-recordings, since for me that's actually often the most interesting part. In fact, sometimes the field-recording simply is the work - although most people (myself included) like to add in some other stuff as well. If practised like that, field-recording can become an almost meditative investigation of the artist's local environment, and the music becomes a reflection of the way the artist experiences it.

So while working with other people's recordings can sometimes be fruitful, I think in this case it also risks making the results less personal, - and perhaps less interesting as well.

Most people today own easy-to-use portable recording devices already, like smartphones or video cameras for example, why not use that?
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #26
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
I'd be more interested if the rules encouraged participants to make their own field-recordings, since for me that's actually often the most interesting part. In fact, sometimes the field-recording simply is the work - although most people (myself included) like to add in some other stuff as well. If practised like that, field-recording can become an almost meditative investigation of the artist's local environment, and the music becomes a reflection of the way the artist experiences it.

So while working with other people's recordings can sometimes be fruitful, I think in this case it also risks making the results less personal, - and perhaps less interesting as well.

Most people today own easy-to-use portable recording devices already, like smartphones or video cameras for example, why not use that?
Thanks for that, Iyashi..I understand what you're saying..and it will be up to the winner of the last challenge to supply the field recording for the next challenge they will be hosting..and they would be free to use one of their own if they want..but we need to keep it open for using 3rd party recordings for those who don't have "quality" recordings of their own to offer the group.

The main thing about this is we are going to be focusing on quality as much as everything else..otherwise there would be no point in offering anything for public release, if you get what I mean.

And, although I totally understand your point about how the field-recording sometimes simply is the work, the goal here is to take the supplied recording and add to it, in order to make it something more. What that more is depends on the individual and his or her production skills in general.

------------------
Old 12-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #27
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

I was actually trying to suggest not using shared files at all, and instead making every submitter make individual field-recordings near where they live.

Field-recording rules could then instead be based on a common theme: trains, water, wind, crowds, bars, supermarkets, trees or birds for example.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #28
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
I was actually trying to suggest not using shared files at all, and instead making every submitter make individual field-recordings near where they live.

Field-recording rules could then instead be based on a common theme: trains, water, wind, crowds, bars, supermarkets, trees or birds for example.

I take your point..and like I said, I understand what you mean..but, again, the whole point is to work from a common source, like we do in the BBs..that's the essence of the concept..the idea at the heart of the challenge..to take the same thing and end up with very different interpretations / realizations.

If we merely used any field recording of our own choice, then what we'd end up with would be little more than an ambient micro-Listening Booth sort of thing..and that's not really the point of setting up such an on-going challenge.

------------------
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #29
Sound--
Granular Poster
Sound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

I've never made anything like this but your examples appeal to me. Can a new guy to the forum participate?
Sound-- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #30
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound-- View Post
I've never made anything like this but your examples appeal to me. Can a new guy to the forum participate?

Of course you can! The only thing is you're going to need at least 30 "meaningful" posts before you can share links to your tracks on here. "Meaningfull" means in this case posts that are not just a couple of words or fluff posts, like "I like what you said..good point". Basically you need to get involved by actually taking part in conversations on here.

I saw where you already posted over in the Studio pics thread..that's a good start and the kind of thing I'm talking about..so just keep going as you and you should be fine.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Sound-- (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #31
Sound--
Granular Poster
Sound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond reputeSound-- has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Of course you can! The only thing is you're going to need at least 30 "meaningful" posts before you can share links to your tracks on here. "Meaningfull" means in this case posts that are not just a couple of words or fluff posts, like "I like what you said..good point". Basically you need to get involved by actually taking part in conversations on here.

I saw where you already posted over in the Studio pics thread..that's a good start and the kind of thing I'm talking about..so just keep going as you and you should be fine.
Great! Thanks, yeah I think this type of genre/project will help getting me going as it is new and something I have not made before. I will keep an eye on this thread and try and get my post count up! Thanks again.
Thanks to Sound--
A.M (12-11-2017)
Old 13-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #32
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544727
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
I'm thinking this would be a more of structured kind of thing, rather tan just jamming or chill ambient.with the use of field recordings and sounds as the main focus or bed track to a piece..and then building a track up from that, but always keeping it minimal, if you know what I mean.

That's not saying you can't incorporate your own jamming into a piece..you can do whatever you like..as long as the end track ends up meeting the outlines set for that particular challenge.

I have a guy based in Hong Kong, who makes field records and he's OK'd me using his stuff for the initial one, if this gets off the ground, but after the first one, well. the winner could supply the next one, the same way it is with the BBs on here.

Anyway, just wanted to be clear about what it is we#re talking about here..and still wondering if you'd be interested in taking part if we do get this up and running.

DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO! The process i described is just one part of the process. Capturing source material.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
A.M (13-11-2017)
Old 13-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
Critical
Granular Poster
Critical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond reputeCritical has a reputation beyond repute
Redditch
MC Status: 2010

I'd love to have a bash at this when I actually have the ability to produce something... great idea
Critical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Critical
A.M (13-11-2017)
Old 13-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #34
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO! The process i described is just one part of the process. Capturing source material.
Yeah..I know what you meant, Chase..just yanking your chain, dude.

Basically, you'd be creatively free to do whatever you want, as long as the supplied field recording is used and it ends up being a low-key ambient soundscape. WHat genre or type of soundscapre would depend on the person hosting each challenge.

That's the basics of it really, as it currently stands.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
chasedobson (13-11-2017)
Old 13-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #35
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
I'd love to have a bash at this when I actually have the ability to produce something... great idea
Trust me, there's no reason you can't take part in the first one..you already know enough to produce something for this.

------------------
Old 14-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #36
Sound--
Granular Poster

Do you have an idea when you might start this project? Or are you waiting to see if there is more interest?
Thanks to Sound--
A.M (14-11-2017)
Old 14-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #37
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 528270

Quote:
Cheers for the support, dude..but I want to try and get some solid interest going in this before we actually launch it. There's not much point in going through all the motions to just have it sitting there without much support from the community..hence this thread.

Don't worry, though..I'll slap up a few examples here in the first post shortly, but I'm going to give folks a chance to read this thread before I actually start anything officially on here. After all, it's the weekend and that means it can be a bit slow on here, with folks out and about.

That said, I think y the middle of next week we should have a really good idea if we have enough to run with it.
count me in
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to agent
A.M (14-11-2017)
Old 14-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #38
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound-- View Post
Do you have an idea when you might start this project? Or are you waiting to see if there is more interest?
I was thinking along the lines of it being a monthly thing..starting on the 1st of the month and running until the 21st, then open for votes from the 22nd until the last 23.59 on 25th..then the winner has between 3 and 6 days (depending on the month) to post the theme and sample for the next challenge..with the new challenge starting on the 1st of the next month..and so on.

So..lss..that would mean we would be good to go on the 1st of December.

------------------
Old 14-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #39
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 528270

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of it being a monthly thing..starting on the 1st of the month and running until the 21st, then open for votes from the 22nd until the last 23.59 on 25th..then the winner has between 3 and 6 days (depending on the month) to post the theme and sample for the next challenge..with the new challenge starting on the 1st of the next month..and so on.

So..lss..that would mean we would be good to go on the 1st of December.
Well, I won't be able to do the challenge cuz holidays and family in town starting the 22nd... I could join, but if I win I won't have time to lead a new challenge.

Perhaps in January
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to agent
A.M (14-11-2017)
Old 14-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #40
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Well, I won't be able to do the challenge cuz holidays and family in town starting the 22nd... I could join, but if I win I won't have time to lead a new challenge.

Perhaps in January
No problem, A..I get it's not the best time of year to be starting up something, but still..it will be up and running anyway and there for the new year if and when you are ready to join in.

Same goes for everyone else reading this..it's early days yet and what with Christmas just a few weeks away, there's bound to be low numbers taking part..but all we need is two or three to make it work..and I'm one of those, so it's still very doable.

Advertisements

------------------