The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 29-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #41
Persiflage
IDMf Artist
Persiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond repute
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 2142
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpc View Post
i want to create tape stops with out the need for tape ( i know there are a hundred ways of doing this but i want a nice authentic one ) i have even mutilated an old cassette recorder and bounced parts of my tracks to tape with an old fostex 8 track but, obviously, this is cumbersome and repetitive.. any one help me get a quick fix that doesn't sound too dissectible. i use logic reaktor a maschine and some shitty outboard dsp.. nice one
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Its basically a turntable emulating sampler VI. You can turn the "power" off on it, and it will pitch down the audio to a stop (with controls for how fast is slows down), if that's the effect you're going for. Also, its free.

Advertisements

------------------
Persiflage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #42
jvpc
Minor Glitch
jvpc is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

yeah i had this before i replaced my hard drive, MBpro full of tunes i stll havent finished.. good suggestion but im curious to see if theres anything else about iv not seen yet.
cheers pesiflage : )
jvpc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #43
Intrepid
Savage Mad Cunt
Intrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MC
MC Status: 833682

DBlue glitch has a tape stop effect.

Just throw that on the effects rack for what ever sound you'd like to tape stop, program Dblue to do the tapestop effect, and then just record your output

------------------
Intrepid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #44
jvpc
Minor Glitch

! as nice as this!! haha,
i have a mac, have they made a d b g for macs yet? not a fan of that program much, not sure why...

------------------
Old 29-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #45
Dichroma
Minor Glitch
Dichroma will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 70

dBlueGlitch is perfect for that. They don't make it for MAC as of yet. Sugar Bytes' Effectrix is a similar plugin for MAC but I don't recall if it has a tape stop.
Dichroma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: the din of shoppers in the department store.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #46
andro
IDMf's latest spammer
andro is currently spamming hard

Hey again, well I put made a thread but got 0 answers maybe someone can help me on how to do these sounds.

can help me out to REcreate this type of bass.

Ive been listening to this type of basses for quite some time, but still I dont seem to do it correctly.

Here are 2 samples.

Sample 1

Sample 2

andro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #47
jvpc
Minor Glitch

any clues to arpegd bass in wAgAwAgA's cheeky bastard??
truely love that tune : )

------------------
Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #48
Kodilax
Deep Underground
Kodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MCKodilax is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 32650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpc View Post
any clues to arpegd bass in wAgAwAgA's cheeky bastard??
truely love that tune : )
Link?
Kodilax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #49
jvpc
Minor Glitch

sorry.. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #50
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18054419
Thanked 1,088 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzist89 View Post
Need help with a sound that i've tryin to imitate for a soooooo long time... i bet it's easy as hell.

In many psybient and psytrance tunes they use a "lagging" effect on vocals, and other sounds.

Demonstration: AAA-AA-AAAA-AAAAAAAAA-AA-AA-AA-AAAAA

The "-" represents a quick volume drop, the sound just cuts off.
The "A" represents the vocal/sound.

What is this effect called and how do u make it? Protoculture use it in one of their tunes. Same with shpongle.

Im kinda bad at understanding difficult english so use "noob-english" with me.
not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but i think i kindof get you.
if so, it really is what it sounds like, you said it yourself, volume drop.
but of course there are much better ways to do it other than volume drops, such as gating, which is probably the best way of doing it.

however, please provide an example.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #51
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18054419
Thanked 1,088 Times in 822 Posts

i should stop reading old cluttered posts, napalm bob answered this much better than me ages ago

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #52
mynusone
IDMf's latest spammer
mynusone is currently spamming hard

hmm most analogue modeling subtractive synths have various filters and envelope.s very standard> ohhh i noticed you use fruity loops? Honestly before you go any further GET REASON 4 serious (great to learn signal routing AND SYNTHESIS) i can make a tune that sounds just as good as ANY othr DAW> Its the AD-DA converters that make your tracks open sounding> (of course your mixing and production skills should be on point) cant you use a synth on fruity loops and just use the env and filters on the synth? Do you use a MAC or a PC? lemme know and ill help u out

peace and greasy beats
mynusone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: catz and dogz so good
Old 23-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #53
mynusone
IDMf's latest spammer

you use Reason perfect ok well the 2nd track is just a simple sine wave use the subtractors first osc and select sine lower it in the mix insert a compressor use a 10:1 ratio fast attack and a auto release and set the threshold so you are getting about 4-5 dbs of gain reduction experimen.t now the first example sounds like saw wave for osc 1 (use a higher octave but mix it in low compared to the 2nd osc which could be either a triangle wave or sine on osc 2..lowered an octive of coarse.. my 2nd idea for that is use subtractor ...osc - sine wave..only use one osc! then insert a scream distortion, select tape settings and adjust to taste, or u can use a dif distortion type to add that tiny amount of grit....or harmonics on top of a sine wave hope that helps a little
Currently Listening To: christian martin "F@CK ELECTRO"
Old 23-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #54
mynusone
IDMf's latest spammer

do you layer your kicks with sine waves? that will suck the air right out of those little raver kids. and what exactly is your problem? ask me and il help you
Currently Listening To: christian martin "F@CK ELECTRO"
Old 27-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
Carbon_Cutte
Soundwave Mangler
Carbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MCCarbon_Cutte is a savage MC
SF Bay, CA
MC Status: 1506424

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynusone View Post
do you layer your kicks with sine waves? that will suck the air right out of those little raver kids.
Is there any particular frequency that's ideal for this? I'm guessing something around ~60hz, maybe tuned to the key of the song?

------------------
Carbon_Cutte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #56
mynusone
IDMf's latest spammer

ya usually its around 40-60 tune it to the key of the track little bit more detailed than that though. couple tricks that allow the kick to push hard without taking up all your headroom
Currently Listening To: my fan blowing air in my hot as fuck studio uhgggg
Old 30-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #57
mynusone
IDMf's latest spammer

well use a clap trpe sound cut the lows and some mids from it then just automate a send witha nice reverb and a little delay with a half note delay time its just a clap with some verb and delay sent to it. does that help>?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #58
Tony_Yang
Regular Freak
Tony_Yang is currently spamming hard

John Roman has some epic grinding noises. What kinds of things could I do to get something close to the heavy, dirty, grimy electro noise that John Roman uses.

Here is an example if you have never heard John Roman

drops near 1:30
Tony_Yang is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ministry of Sound - Mashup Mix 90's
Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #59
ayurveda
Banned
ayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond reputeayurveda has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6815

Hey guys, I'm wondering how to make a dirty ass shuffle-ey bass in reason 4.0.
Like in alot of wolfgang gartner's stuff, wild card for example. You hear the part where the wobble "shuffles" a bit.

Where would one start to make a sound like this in reason? Is it one synth or a combination of synths? And I am not factoring in the formant "yeeeaaoww" near the end of the bassline. Here is my best guess: Sawtooth oscillator, sine sub bass, S-wave LFO, and program it exactly to how that sounds? add a Matrix step sequencer to a second filter to chop it out when needed?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
ayurveda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Wild Card - Wolfgang Gartner
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #60
megaman0217
Radial Developer
megaman0217 is currently spamming hard
Bellingham, WA
MC Status: 41

How do I map my padkontrol to certain cues within Traktor Pro?

Advertisements

------------------
A Band of Horses - The Funeral (remix)

Boyz Noize - Shine Shine (remix)

http://soundcloud.com/megaman0217
megaman0217 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote