The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
musicismusic
IDMf's latest spammer
musicismusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

The sidechain effect in 009 Sound System - Dreamscape sounds really deep and grim. Can anyone help me re-create this using FL Studio 8
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You can hear it good at 1:07 +

Advertisements

musicismusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #22
frenchhorn71
IDMf's latest spammer
frenchhorn71 is currently spamming hard

Hi all,

How can I convert an audio signal to midi in realtime. I'm playing the french horn into a mute that is miked and into and apogee duet to Ableton 8. I'm getting a good audio signal but how can I convert it to midi while i'm playing? I hope this all has been clear.

Thanks,

Frenchhorn71
frenchhorn71 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Imogen Heap
Old 21-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

1) With any compressor that has sidechain option. The compressor doesn't make the "grim sound", the synth does.

2) Something like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #24
PartyMan
IDMf's latest spammer
PartyMan is currently spamming hard
NYC

Allow me to introduce myself, I go by the Party Man,formely know as Neek Rusher.
I'm new to the Electronic music scene,but not new to music production. Im crossing over to
Electronic dance music coming from a Hip Hop and R&B back ground. what I want to know
is and I know this is a NOOB OF ALL NOOBS QUESTION. what is the basic universal approach to
creating the whoosh sound transition. So that whay I can do it on any synth wether it's
hardware or software.
PartyMan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Deadmau5 Hi Friend
Old 24-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #25
Persiflage
IDMf Artist
Persiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond repute
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyMan View Post
Allow me to introduce myself, I go by the Party Man,formely know as Neek Rusher.
I'm new to the Electronic music scene,but not new to music production. Im crossing over to
Electronic dance music coming from a Hip Hop and R&B back ground. what I want to know
is and I know this is a NOOB OF ALL NOOBS QUESTION. what is the basic universal approach to
creating the whoosh sound transition. So that whay I can do it on any synth wether it's
hardware or software.

Take a cymbal sample. Play it backwards. WHOOOSH.

Open high-hats also work to a lesser degree.

------------------
Persiflage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
drdevice
Deep Underground
drdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MC
Philly
MC Status: 9379375

record something with reverb on it, reverse the tail, WHOOOSH

------------------
drdevice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

sweep a bandpass across whitenoise to get a whoosh.
Ah, I have no idea what you mean with "whoosh". An audio example/clip would be nice.

------------------
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
Bunnycore
Regular Freak
Bunnycore is currently spamming hard

Hey!

Anyone knows the trick for made Current Value or Limewax snares?

thanks and cheers
Bunnycore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
3nv1u5
IDMf's latest spammer
3nv1u5 is currently spamming hard

hi i'm new to this site and edm production. I use reason and aim mostly to produce dnb and glitch. I'm currently trying to figure out how to create a similar bass sound as that found in Orange Dust's Skeletones about 50 seconds into the track. The drums also intrigue me but that wobbly jumpy bass sound is what i'm going more for any ideas?
3nv1u5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Skeletones - Orange Dust
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #30
Xzist89
Regular Freak
Xzist89 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 13

Need help with a sound that i've tryin to imitate for a soooooo long time... i bet it's easy as hell.

In many psybient and psytrance tunes they use a "lagging" effect on vocals, and other sounds.

Demonstration: AAA-AA-AAAA-AAAAAAAAA-AA-AA-AA-AAAAA

The "-" represents a quick volume drop, the sound just cuts off.
The "A" represents the vocal/sound.

What is this effect called and how do u make it? Protoculture use it in one of their tunes. Same with shpongle.

Im kinda bad at understanding difficult english so use "noob-english" with me.
Xzist89 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #31
Persiflage
IDMf Artist
Persiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond repute
Eugene, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzist89 View Post
Need help with a sound that i've tryin to imitate for a soooooo long time... i bet it's easy as hell.

In many psybient and psytrance tunes they use a "lagging" effect on vocals, and other sounds.

What is this effect called and how do u make it? Protoculture use it in one of their tunes. Same with shpongle.

Could you please provide an example. Link to a youtube video or some other source and perhaps give a time index of when the sound occurs during the track.

------------------
Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #32
Persiflage
IDMf Artist
Eugene, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nv1u5 View Post
hi i'm new to this site and edm production. I use reason and aim mostly to produce dnb and glitch. I'm currently trying to figure out how to create a similar bass sound as that found in Orange Dust's Skeletones about 50 seconds into the track. The drums also intrigue me but that wobbly jumpy bass sound is what i'm going more for any ideas?
You might want to check out t[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
The track you mentioned uses two different bass synth sounds, both derivative of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(or two detuned sawtooth waves), but with different filtering and filter modulation being applied.

------------------
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #33
napalmbob
MaKiNG PHaT BeaTZ
napalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MC
Geelong/Victoria
MC Status: 1130791

Quote:

I think you mean rhythmic gating. You could use a plugin like the freebie mgTriggerGate by mgAudio ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
), but the simplest way is to do it in Ableton is to draw it in in the envelope of the clip, like so:

------------------
"Alot of people these days seem to listen to music through their eyes." - DoctaMario
napalmbob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:

Already answered by NapalmBob, but google "stepgate" aka "gapper" aka "trancegate".

------------------
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
3nv1u5
IDMf's latest spammer
3nv1u5 is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persiflage View Post
You might want to check out t[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
The track you mentioned uses two different bass synth sounds, both derivative of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(or two detuned sawtooth waves), but with different filtering and filter modulation being applied.

ty helped a lot ^__^ track up soon:banana:
3nv1u5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #36
Richard_L
IDMf's latest spammer
Richard_L is currently spamming hard
Seattle

Staticreact: Did you get input on how to make that wobble bass sound you heard in Deadmau5? I don't know what environment you work in, but if it's Live then go to dubspots youtube tutorial on making a dubstep wobble bass in Live 8.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Richard
Richard_L is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #37
Dichroma
Minor Glitch
Dichroma will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 70

I've been transitioning from a trashy house sound to a more polished trancey sound and I'm getting inspired by clean drum sounds. Problem is the way I'm used to making my drums pop makes them dirty. David Guetta and Deadmau5 use kick sounds that are clear but solid. I'll cite Sexy Bitch by Guetta as my example.

Can anyone give advice on drum samples, eq, and compression?

Thanks!
Dichroma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ministry of Sound - Mashup Mix 90's
Old 19-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #38
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichroma View Post
I've been transitioning from a trashy house sound to a more polished trancey sound and I'm getting inspired by clean drum sounds. Problem is the way I'm used to making my drums pop makes them dirty. David Guetta and Deadmau5 use kick sounds that are clear but solid. I'll cite Sexy Bitch by Guetta as my example.

Can anyone give advice on drum samples, eq, and compression?

Thanks!
layer with samples that has nice click / punch in the not bass region of the frequency spectrum. The low end thump, mid range and high end click are all equally important making a kick like that. Layering with a shortened hihat sound works for some kicks / hihat samples as an example.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #39
Dichroma
Minor Glitch
Dichroma will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 70

@crude beats - Thanks I'll try that!

I have been giving layering a shot lately but I can't seem to pick the right samples to combine that particular sound. Anybody have any guesses at what the component sounds are in that kick? I imagine there is a classic drum sample.
Dichroma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #40
jvpc
Minor Glitch
jvpc is currently spamming hard

i want to create tape stops with out the need for tape ( i know there are a hundred ways of doing this but i want a nice authentic one ) i have even mutilated an old cassette recorder and bounced parts of my tracks to tape with an old fostex 8 track but, obviously, this is cumbersome and repetitive.. any one help me get a quick fix that doesn't sound too dissectible. i use logic reaktor a maschine and some shitty outboard dsp.. nice one

also if anyone uses it ( ? ) pure data solutions to tape stop?

Advertisements

jvpc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote