What is causing mud in my production? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #21
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Re: What is causing mud in my production?

Also, its good to use saturation with caution. I know it thickens sounds up like kicks and bass but it can add a bit of mud.

Advertisements

Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #22
localspace
Microknight
localspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Antlers View Post
Also, its good to use saturation with caution. I know it thickens sounds up like kicks and bass but it can add a bit of mud.
It's always good to use caution, period I get a lot of mileage about saturation/excitation lately, but it can create a lot of mud indeed. I mostly use it very early on and almost always need to EQ afterwards to clean up the lower mids, roll off excess bass, etc. But the idea is that the saturation gives me a bigger chunk of sound to chip away at.

Since I started doing this I'm getting really fat and loud mixes with very little effort. I hardly ever have to use limiters or compressors just for loudness sake anymore. But yeah, I now end up making cuts around the 180 to 400 hz range almost by default... Still beats fiddling with the levels on 10 separate compressors and whatnot!
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #23
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by localspace View Post
It's always good to use caution, period I get a lot of mileage about saturation/excitation lately, but it can create a lot of mud indeed. I mostly use it very early on and almost always need to EQ afterwards to clean up the lower mids, roll off excess bass, etc. But the idea is that the saturation gives me a bigger chunk of sound to chip away at.

Since I started doing this I'm getting really fat and loud mixes with very little effort. I hardly ever have to use limiters or compressors just for loudness sake anymore. But yeah, I now end up making cuts around the 180 to 400 hz range almost by default... Still beats fiddling with the levels on 10 separate compressors and whatnot!
I should also add that I have also found I need to be careful with making those cuts sometimes my mix ends up to thin and lifeless. Im starting to periodically check the mix on iPhone earbuds now to see how the mids hold up.
Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #24
localspace
Microknight
localspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Antlers View Post
I should also add that I have also found I need to be careful with making those cuts sometimes my mix ends up to thin and lifeless. Im starting to periodically check the mix on iPhone earbuds now to see how the mids hold up.
True. The reason to make cuts there is not because you don't want any action in that range, but because it's usually where most of the action already IS. Drums, the top of your bass, the bottom of just about anything else in your mix (unless it's like a triangle or thin pad lol) will have at least something going on there.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060

and you're sure cutting the frequencies that are building up isn't fixing it?

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #26
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2860

ive tried the following in the past and like and dislike each for certain reasons, not that i would remember them now but they are all suitable, its really preference...

i can use a synth under the kick to give me some low end emphasis with a snap or click, whatever you call it... both samples will need to be eq'd .

i can use parallel processing, and give the paralleled track a different setting vs the original, ie dynamics, eq, volume, ... again will have to eq it thru the bass.

i can use a single sample, and eq it, add some effect of my liking, compress it, (maximize/limit) it depending on the style of music... always a need to eq it to fit thru the bassline.

what ever way ive used, ive noticed a trend heavy on eq settings... and volume. more so than using effects to make it loud, or punchy, but to give it tone or essence/presence.

i dont know how they make kicks for dubstep, for example... but id imagine, they would be using some effects, and probably limiters/maximizers. subtle effects like reverb or saturation can add surrounding to the kick, experiment as suggested previously.

TBH tho i am only so fond of reasons eq... i wish it was more flexible and could modify the slopes more, steep, unnatural slopes, i mean. i am referring to the mixer eq btw.

Advertisements

------------------
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote