Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
aronahlam
Granular Poster
aronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud of
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 1110
Re: Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmushroom View Post
I do it within the synth. It allows me to modulate the sound even further if I want to.
This^

When it comes to audio clips, it's also fun to go into the clip and automate the transposition in the clip view of the envelope box

Advertisements

aronahlam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

I think world most of these artists also make recordings of real world sounds and then re-modulate them
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #23
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 72160
Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I opened your PM, but forgot to answer it. The beers and the pool outside caught my attention.
Will answer you shortly, if I know the answer.
Any chance you might share the secret sauce more broadly?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #24
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Any chance you might share the secret sauce more broadly?
I made a quick video earlier (but it cut short) where I was messing with dual bandpass cutoff (high res) on a saw wave.
How broad do you want me to go?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
liquid_air (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Somewhat broadly. With the dual BP, is the idea to switch overlapping/non-overlapping? And this would be the sawy glitchy sounds? I figured this might work similar to dubstep, albeit with more intricate timing/modulation.

I've been listening over and over to this here:

I'm wondering about the toad like sounds that the track starts out with. Is that an envelope controlled LFO on an Osc output? Just so much good stuff going on here.

------------------

Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #26
aronahlam
Granular Poster
aronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud ofaronahlam has much to be proud of
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
Somewhat broadly. With the dual BP, is the idea to switch overlapping/non-overlapping? And this would be the sawy glitchy sounds? I figured this might work similar to dubstep, albeit with more intricate timing/modulation.

I'm wondering about the toad like sounds that the track starts out with. Is that an envelope controlled LFO on an Osc output? Just so much good stuff going on here.
Quanta is sooo good!! And everyhing on shanti for that matter. I actually made a bunch of these noises when I was freeform sound designing the other day. I don't remember what I was doing but I'll try again and get back to you on that
Thanks to aronahlam
liquid_air (07-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 AM   #27
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

What's that style of music called, btw?

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #28
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Icon2 Re: Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!

Quote:
What's that style of music called, btw?
some of it is PsyStep, or PsyDub or PsyBient maybe?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
liquid_air (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #29
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:

Since my previous video was a fail and cut short I decided to make another crappy video (although I must learn how to make better/more interesting videos, like the mentioned Torley).
I apologize for speaking while eating. I don't always do what mum and dad taught me.
Just ask if you have any questions.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Sweet, thanks so much!

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #31
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
some of it is PsyStep, or PsyDub or PsyBient maybe?
It's listed as Downtempo on iTunes. I felt great, like a patron of the arts, buying the EP

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Nystagmus (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #32
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Icon11 Re: Squelchy, watery, clicky, psychdelic synth sounds!

Quote:
Since my previous video was a fail and cut short I decided to make another crappy video (although I must learn how to make better/more interesting videos, like the mentioned Torley).
I apologize for speaking while eating. I don't always do what mum and dad taught me.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Wow. You got some great cicada, cat, raccoon, and owl sounds out of that!
You are good with that. Pretty amazing. I need to try this; I have Surge also.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #33
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Thanks! Gotta love them animals.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #34
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

You should make this a business, Evelon.

Seriously, several subscription based video instruction sites exist.

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Just keep it free for us 😁

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #36
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
You should make this a business, Evelon.

Seriously, several subscription based video instruction sites exist.

Just keep it free for us ��
I have thought about that. But then I think "Oh, but there are already so many tutorials out there". But then I think "but there are alot of shitty tutorials out there that people still think are good, so maybe I should do tutorials after all".
Repeat.

If I decide to do subscription based tutorials (how do I even start?) IDMf will have free access. This is my second family after all.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #37
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

I use lube, my hand and a thing for these effects.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
aLiner (22-06-2016)
Old 08-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I use lube, my hand and a thing for these effects.
Extra wet, I would assume?

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #39
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7239129

Quote:
Yeah, you can also get stuff like Sci-Fi starship engines from those basic ingredients. (Saw + resonant BP + pitch modulation + filter modulation.)

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
aronahlam (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #40
aronahlam
Granular Poster
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Awesomee!!! Thank you so much. Although I've finally taught myself how to make these sounds, it involved a lot fo trial and error. Before that I looked so long for a tutorial like this on youtube and never quite found something as good as this. much much kudos!

Advertisements