What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 18-08-2017, 01:07 AM   #61
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710
Re: What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it?

I tried over ten years ago but my pc just couldn't do it, So then a few years ago I tried it again and things have gotten so much better.... VSTS! real live samples of instruments! And much less buffering issues while recording multiple tracks. I think I used to use N Track when I first tried it was sooo laggy for me........ And I also used that MTV Music Maker Software..........BUt that software sucked because it states you cant sell any music using those sounds LMAO. So why even make the product? The bad part is though now I have been winged off the music staff.... I need to brush up on my sight reading me thinks.

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #62
corwintrails
IDMf's latest spammer
corwintrails has a spectacular aura aboutcorwintrails has a spectacular aura aboutcorwintrails has a spectacular aura about
Michigan
MC Status: 210

Excellent question, and probably the best question to prompt me into engaging here.

I think the inspiration to produce never stops. Pinpointing that first eureka or spark is often difficult. For me, I think it began far before I ever even began producing music. In childhood, for sure. The memories are vague now, of course, but I remember that state of mind I would enter into when playing outside with my trucks or really with whatever. What I do remember clearly is how fluid the activity felt, how natural it was to be free there, exploring the world with my body. I know it probably sounds trite, but it is this state that I was always hearkening back to when I was making music.

Inevitably, it's somewhat of a lost state. I was drawn to artists that expressed this melancholy and nostalgia. Obviously, Boards of Canada are champions in this field, but many have touched upon it. It's a dead-end street, though, to try to stay within this framework. Especially, to model your sound off the discoveries of another.

I began in college, and as soon as I started, I knew I would drop out. What I was learning alone in my room with my headphones on was far more than I could ever find in a classroom, let alone a career built upon academia. I sought refuge in psychedelic drugs and travel, which did help to open my mind up to other possible ways of living. Music was always a way for me to know myself. From the beginning, it was a transformative tool, and the process was alchemical. By the end of a project, I always felt flushed, cleared of some blockage that was in the way. Producing music was something very spiritual to me, always, and still is.

It's a nebulous thing, though. I never know what it is I'll be working on next. I shift genres quite dramatically. It seems each project is so exhausting and time-consuming that I have to move on to something totally different, if only so that I can still hope to be original. But that's always a dicey concept, originality.
corwintrails is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 04:04 AM   #63
waffleberry
Radial Developer
waffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MC
MC Status: 132634

Needed to find out how they were making all the cool sounds!

------------------
waffleberry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #64
SamWeath
Minor Glitch
SamWeath is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I was at age of 18 when I started. It was kinda like a fun, I used to bored all of my PC games so I started to having fun with something new. I started to make bootlegs and mashups just for fun to my friends, but I slowly learned everything. Long story short, I work as a ghost producer for more than 6 years now and I'm 30 so I have a bit more than 11 years of experience.
SamWeath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
PPNDP
Soundwave Mangler
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khasai View Post
I just started this year, a few months ago, at age 32.
I also had contact with music my whole live: I played piano and bass as a hobby
I have started making music this October.
I started to listening to the history of House, read great books on the rave culture ('Techno rebels', 'energy flash' and watch loads of documentaries). And finally I decided to download my first DAW - LMMS. I recreated some of the classic Chicago and Detroit house beats. But then I started to experiment with soundfonts and beats and I made my first track - which was totally not house'y.
Besides LMMS, I feel great experimenting and learning Reaktor and Ableton.

Last edited by PPNDP; 14-02-2018 at 04:44 PM..
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #66
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544777
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,363 Posts

Its been a long and winding road, I started becoming interested in recording really quite young, doing cassette experiments from a very early age, eventually purchasing a 4 track cassette machine at 14. I was initially inspired by shoegaze and ambient music but after getting into synths my interests moved to industrial music and Drum N Bass/IDM.

by 17 i had amassed a drum machine, a bunch of pedals and a sampler, and at 18 i built my first computer (dating myself here - it was a Pentium 2 386 machine that ran Win95) and my first synth.

I was hooked at the point I had the ability to multitrack and process sounds but things didn't get serious until I had a computer to use as a midi sequencer and DAW (YEA BOI 8 TRACKS OF DIGITAL AUDIO AND NO REALTIME FX!!!!)

It was at that point that i took a couple of electronic music courses in college, this gave me a primer into proper studio workflow - patchbays, recording to reel to reel/ADAT machines and furthering my knowledge of computer sequencing, modular synthesis (the school had EMU and MOOG modulars) and mixing.

It was shortly thereafter that I dropped out, got a job selling recording and PA equipment and soaked up as much knowledge as I could - pretty well self-taught from that point.

Fast forward to today - releasing records, touring for work, and doing all manners of music production and composition from live sound reinforcement and projection mapping to mixing and mastering other folks projects.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 AM   #67
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589030
Thanked 7,962 Times in 5,596 Posts

If any one wants a related and interesting read Moby's autobiography is excellent. Fascinating read really. "Poreclien"

To riff off of Chase a bit...I messed around with cassettes as a kid. But it was more my brother and I making a "radio show". We did discover a lot about sound doing that. Then started messing w audio in Soundforge on a Pentium 486. Collage type stuff from just whatever I could get my hands on. My dad did a lot of live A/V work so had access to a huge CD collection and Soundforge ripped CDs...

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
I/O_Madness (04-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #68
leegendmusic
Minor Glitch
leegendmusic has a spectacular aura aboutleegendmusic has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

started about a year ago and ive always wanted to do music so why not
leegendmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #69
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

I have always had musical ideas in my head from a very young age. I got my first keyboard when I was 10 years old, and producing has been a natural progression from that. I took a long 10 year hiatus from making and producing music but started back up a few years ago. Now it's time to light up the dance floor!

Advertisements

Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Brookside_Chase
I/O_Madness (12-01-2018)