Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts
Re: Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I can't stand all the people who load up on plug ins and are all like, "ahh I have SUPER EXTRA DELAY, and BIG EXPENSIVE FLANGE", then they don't even know how to use them but think that because they spent their money on it it somehow means it's good. So many people in my music degree had no idea how delay or flange actually worked, to them it's just a type of guitar pedal in their collection of never used guitar pedals.

When I started out, I worked in Sonic Foundry Acid Music, which was the basic version and had no fx, no plugins, no synths, nothing like that. About all you could do was automate the volume and panning, and aside from that you could cut up samples. I didn't have money to go buy all the fancy software, so I just did everything with samples. That's how I got really interested in studio techniques, tape, musiqe concrete and all. So many FX are simple concepts, and yet people insist on paying so much money on this fancy plug in or that fancy plug in, and they don't even learn how to really use them, but don't hesitate to show it off as a "proof" of their being a producer. Just because you spend lots of money doesn't make you anything. When all you spend money on stuff you don't use, you're amassing a pile of crap. That's all. That's all my dad ever did. Hoard and hoard all this crap he never used. Then he'd take something back and get something different, and not use it. He probably wasted a fortune driving back and forth from store to store buying and returning crap over, endlessly. And of course, he never let us use anything of it, freakin douche would yell at my mom for buying something for my sister that was a little pricey, while he just hoarded mountains of useless crap for himself. What a selfish dick wad. He deserves to die.

First up, I sense a little father/son issues thing there..sorry to read that ,as I can totally relate to what you're saying..or not..as my own past gives me the super power of reading between the lines. Enough said

As for the main thrust of you post, I totally agree with you..but think it's just how things are moving on in the world. We're like the new wave of old analog guys..those who would look down on anyone who used digital..or even the classically trained musicians, who came before them, who sneered at them for using electronic instruments and questioned the fact they were even musicians in the first place because of it.

Today the kids are growing up with sample packs and VSTs..and the general view seems to be why the fu*k should we learn all that crap, when we can just cut and past to get the same results? Isn't it..or should it be..all about the music in the end?

These days, it's all about making things easy on the user and making money for those making things easy. Face it, what was the last really complex synth that became a best-seller? Even the likes of Omnisphere, which is a great tool with a lot of complexity to it, has to..at the same time..be easy enough to use in order to sell.

I'm saying all of this as a guy who started out chopping old reel-to-reel tape and patching it back together again, in order to experiment with sound..and who's first introduction to "applied effects" was to mess with the playback speed on the same said reel-to-reel unit. Trust me, I get what you mean and where you're coming from.

To be honest though, it's something you'll have to personally get used to..not necessarily accept..but definately get used to..otherwise you run the risk of turning into that stereotypical grumpy old bastard everyone knows and nobody loves.

Just knuckle down and do things your way..and forget about how they do things..it's their loss in the end, even if they don't see it that way. If it's any help, you can take some comfort from the fact that, if push ever comes to shove and all the sample packs and "idiot plugs" vanished tomorrow, you'd still be able to make music and they wouldn't.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #22
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010
Re: Can somebody please point me in the right direction for learning how to write IDM

When I started all we had was a wheel and a stick. They were sold separately and batteries weren't included.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
A.M (20-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589230
Thanked 7,966 Times in 5,598 Posts

While I think, generally speaking, knowing your tools leads to better music if the music is good its good. Ive heard some good music from hardware and hardware guys that are more song writers/keys players than sound designers or engineers and rely heavily on presets with both instruments and FX.

Electronic music is really a bit of a weird bird. Its turned into largely a solo activity and its one of the only generes of music where the expectation is (at least among the artist themselves, but maybe the audience too) that 99% of the process is done by one person.

The rest of the music world is far more collaborative. There is so much to know that I have trouble giving someone shit for not knowing exactly how delay works or additivie synthesis. Is what I’m saying making sense? This is all related in my mind but I’m not expressing it well this morning.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
brb (20-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #24
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
..Is what I’m saying making sense? This is all related in my mind but I’m not expressing it well this morning.

Wake & Bake Fridays..man, you can't beat them.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (20-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #25
volterock
Microknight
volterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MC
CA, USA
MC Status: 147229

Try messing everything up while staying slightly aligned with the rules of Bach/music theory: change time signatures, detune, change tempo, glitch up software and hardware and devices, combine different drum styles, collaborate with someone who makes very different music than what you make, have a theoretical or philosophical approach to a work, include elements of your own audible interactions with the world...

------------------
Let me blog you: http://volterock.com

Newest release:
volterock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #26
JPMCC
IDMf's latest spammer
JPMCC will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Interesting!
JPMCC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JPMCC
st3aLth (25-10-2017)
Old 25-10-2017, 04:47 AM   #27
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11499554
Thanked 1,242 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMCC View Post
Interesting!

Advertisements

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
Even Unregistered can compete in the latest BEAT BATTLE!!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote