BB80-Open Genre - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 30-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 10710
Re: BB80-Open Genre

Hello again.

I like both your submissions.

hmm..

monkvulcano's track has some pretty cool percussive work going on, and the bass sound/melody is very nice as well. As he says himself, it still feels a bit sketch-like, but I think it's great that he/you just went and posted it anyway. If you decide to spend some more time on it later on, I think it could turn out quite nicely!

That Tsachi made his track in 3 hours seems almost like magic to me to be honest, but I really like this kind of squelchy future funk beats (like I/O_Madness, I'm an Autechre fan as well). The bass line mangling is lovely, the pad synths are tasty and the composition works well. So yeah, I guess I'm voting for Tsachi as well

PS: I really enjoyed working with the sample recording 7asid made. Brilliant stuff!

Thanks!

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 30-06-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #22
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 14610

Yeah the sample(s) this time around was great, way better than bb79’s

Pls I no wanna win

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
mnkvolcno (30-06-2018)
Old 30-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33560

I was kind of torn because I liked both of these submissions so much. I’m going to vote for iyashi tho because it has a really cool vibe, and I really enjoy the restrained quality of it.

Tsachi this is a really impressive submission though (notice I spelled your name correctly). I feel like your chops have kind of leveled up a bit lately. Maybe I should change my moniker to something containing a Japanese name.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

are you fking kidding me..is it already finished Thought I at least had until tomorrow
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 AM   #25
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC

Submit what you have, we’d all like to hear! Your vote also matters, you can break the tie if you so wish.

Last edited by Tsachi; 01-07-2018 at 12:48 AM..

------------------
Old 01-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #26
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 11760

Love the submissions guys! My vote would go to Tsachi. Taschi if you don't want to host again so soon maybe Iyashi would like to take the reigns on the next one to commemorate his return?

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
mnkvolcno (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #27
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Submit what you have, wed all like to hear! Your vote also matters, you can break the tie if you so wish.

If I have the time (just started a new job last week and still have to eat and do some work prep for the second week ) I will try and throw something together. Started working on it again yesterday evening but when I found out it had finished I lost my motivation and just drank beer and listened to music

All the tracks sound very impressive! What I had is totally not on that level. Will listen to them again and vote, but now let me make some dinner and buy a plugin like a responsible adult!
Thanks to HalfTrek
Iyashi Sound (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 10710

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
..maybe Iyashi would like to take the reigns on the next one to commemorate his return?

I think Tzaki should just do it already. I mean, the guy could clock that fat funk track in like 3hours! It shouldn't take that long to make a couple of fart sounds and record it with a microphone. I'm sorry, I'm not quite sober at this time.

But anyway:

I suggest we at least wait until we hear back from Tschaschi before we decide what to do.

Nobody ever wants to win these anyway, or are at least ambivalent about it, - since the reward for winning is basically just more work. If you had to endure strippers coming to your house every time you won, I reckon winning would be a lot more popular, - but the competition would quickly be infested with shit music and shit music fans because of it as well.

"It sucks to win" is a good solution to that problem, - an perhaps what's kept it going for so long already. Let's keep it going Satchmi!
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
I/O_Madness (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #29
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490004
Thanked 1,051 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Nobody ever wants to win these anyway, or are at least ambivalent about it, - since the reward for winning is basically just more work. If you had to endure strippers coming to your house every time you won, I reckon winning would be a lot more popular, - but the competition would quickly be infested with shit music and shit music fans because of it as well.
Yeah, that's one thing about these I think many aren't quite prepared for. It's like, you're only given one day to arrange the samples and a beat battle, and many people aren't as savvy about curating samples as using samples.

I think it'd be cool if we could do like some sort of pooled sample base, like everyone submits one or two sounds, that way it kinda spreads the responsibility. Of course, that'd rely on people actually submitting samples, so there'd still probably need to be some generic base. If we had like a common pool of samples to draw from, so we didn't need to come up with samples at the end of every battle... Maybe we could have battles alternate with sample recording sessions, like have two weeks where we all record a few samples and pool them, then the next couple weeks use those to create a track. Perhaps we could even keep the rule where the winner decides the rules for the next battle, because I think that's still kinda cool. It's not too hard to come up with a few rules to make creating a song more interesting.

I feel there's not much guidance in preparing the actual samples, in the name of supplying good, quality samples. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting sometimes working with just a few sounds and trying to make something, but at the same time, it's nice to have samples you can really do something without some ghastly chain of effects to salvage a sound into something usable. I mean, the last few battles haven't been bad, but it'd be nice to try to establish some line of quality on the samples. Some battles have definitely been kind of a ::cringe:: reaction. It's just, 24 hours to make a good sample set, without any real guide on it, definitely isn't terribly motivating lol. As Iyashi said, it's kinda... more work.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Iyashi Sound (02-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #30
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1843877

Tsachi for production and overall polish, nice work. Great track.

Iyashi lost me a little bit in the middle, but a close call.

mnkvolcno I like what you did here and I think if you focuses a little more on the mixing (kick is too dominate for my taste in the mix) its a good track

Not that probably helps the tie...but Im voting Volc just to be belligerent pacifist and pain in the arse Personally I think theres a framework for a good electronic track. My vibe.

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #31
HalfTrek
Granular Poster

Ok really need to get some sleep right now, I vote Kobayashi for a night in the club, Mountaindewvolcano for being stuck on an island & Saatchi for the win because of those nice pad sounds
Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 AM   #32
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Tsachi for production and overall polish, nice work. Great track.

Iyashi lost me a little bit in the middle, but a close call.

mnkvolcno I like what you did here and I think if you focuses a little more on the mixing (kick is too dominate for my taste in the mix) its a good track

Not that probably helps the tie...but Im voting Volc just to be belligerent pacifist and pain in the arse Personally I think theres a framework for a good electronic track. My vibe.
Thanks m8.. the mix is indeed pretty awful lol. Was frantically throwing stuff around before work. But Im glad u dig it.

Ok. So Im not sure if you guys are changing the sample collecting rules, but Id you do end up tinkering with it, I had an idea.

What if we made it to where, along with your track submission, you submit 1-3 samples for the next battle. Theres enough free places to upload stuff it should be pretty easy.

Then the winner just collects all the samples and sets rules for next battle. The variety of sample types could make things a bit interesting, and its a bit less intimidating for everyone.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #33
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Ok. So I’m not sure if you guys are changing the sample collecting rules, but I’d you do end up tinkering with it, I had an idea.

What if we made it to where, along with your track submission, you submit 1-3 samples for the next battle. There’s enough free places to upload stuff it should be pretty easy.

Then the winner just collects all the samples and sets rules for next battle. The variety of sample types could make things a bit interesting, and it’s a bit less intimidating for everyone.
We'd need like a centralized location for the samples, preferably. It'd be cool if we had kind of a shared account that we all could just upload samples to. However, if we just had the winner of the battle collect the links and download, then consolidate into one zip or what have you, I don't think that'd be too bad to run with. I was kinda thinking about making a sample server of sorts... something maybe where you can upload/download, and it'd just be like an aggregate for all the sample packs for the BB's. Like a ftp server or something. Of course, it'd need a way for people to upload... I may look into it more.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
mnkvolcno (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #34
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
We'd need like a centralized location for the samples, preferably. It'd be cool if we had kind of a shared account that we all could just upload samples to. However, if we just had the winner of the battle collect the links and download, then consolidate into one zip or what have you, I don't think that'd be too bad to run with. I was kinda thinking about making a sample server of sorts... something maybe where you can upload/download, and it'd just be like an aggregate for all the sample packs for the BB's. Like a ftp server or something. Of course, it'd need a way for people to upload... I may look into it more.
Yea that would be ideal. There was another site I used to do these on that used this method. I think it would make the whole thing seem a little more legit. Im glad we got some folks keeping it alive, but I sure wish we could get even more peeps involved. Also it irritates me a bit that apparently the mods arent able to fix the link in the sidebar. Im like.. come on man, this is one of the coolest things this site has to offer. Instead of just talking about making music it gets people doing it. Sigh......
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #35
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

well heY THAT'S a gOOD IDEA VOLCNO!!! It's almost like a fee for being allowed to participate haha. My only fear is that with a pool of samples, we'll be getting battles that tend to use a certain few samples repeatedly which goes against my idea of a unique sonic challenge each time. Obviously the rules are always different so it's not too bad. So hopefully it's a new sample pool each time??

Ok, ok, I'll host BB81, just for you fine folks.

------------------
Thanks to Tsachi
Iyashi Sound (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #36
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
well heY THAT'S a gOOD IDEA VOLCNO!!! It's almost like a fee for being allowed to participate haha. My only fear is that with a pool of samples, we'll be getting battles that tend to use a certain few samples repeatedly which goes against my idea of a unique sonic challenge each time. Obviously the rules are always different so it's not too bad. So hopefully it's a new sample pool each time??

Ok, ok, I'll host BB81, just for you fine folks.
I mean, a fee wouldn't be a TERRIBLE thing. All we're talking about is a few sounds to build a pack for everyone to utilize in their own composition.

As far as the base sample pool, this would mostly serve as a fallback for when not enough samples are uploaded. So, when only a few people submit samples, the BB host could choose to dig through past samples to supplement the battle pack. To date, there have been 80 beat battles, which means 80 different sample packs. We could even add other libraries that were cleared for use. Between user submitted samples, and the archive of old BB's, I don't think we'll have many issues with samples being overused. The host (usually) changes each week, so a different person, a different battle with different rules each week... With all that, I don't think we'll be recycling any sample(s) too often.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 03-07-2018, 02:27 AM   #37
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Hey, for anyone who is interested in following the discussion of possible changes to the BB's, as well as any future general beat battle admin/random/etc. questions, I made a general discussion thread in the Beat Battle sub-forum:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------

I/O_Madness