USB/FireWire DAW controllers?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 23-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1910
USB/FireWire DAW controllers?

Hi everyone

As I have grown to hate working with only a keyboard and a mouse, I have been considering some kind of Daw controller/mixer that runs by firewire or USB, that features motorised faders for easy level mixing and movement around the project. At the college I went to we had a Mackie one but it was installed just before I left os I didn't have much of a chance to get to know it. I can't be affordin a Mackie one but I was thinking of something like the behringer BC series (very cheap) or the Alesis MasterControl (fairly cheap if you look in the right places).

Does anyone here use a DAW controller/mixer, what are your thoughts/recommendations?

x

Advertisements

------------------
Keepin it real on the interwebz!

A Fine Time To Be LP Available now at http://dustedwax.org/dwk253.html
Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: still bonobo
Old 23-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: USB/FireWire Daw controllers

Check out the AKAI APC series of controllers (APC 20 or 40), though if you want motorized faders the BCF2000 is quite alright from what I hear:

I'm currently using a BCR2000 which is just knobs - but it's a fantastic controller in term of configurability and connectivity:

Edit: Afaik there's mackie emulation for both of these Behringer devices in Live, which you aren't using...so - will have to manually map it then unless there's a script for Logic.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Presonus Faderport. If I was sure the Faderport worked with FL Studio I would own one already.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There is an older version of the Mackie you can get on eBay for about half the money or less.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Tbh though - I always find the idea of using a controller in a production environment better than actual practice. The only thing I use a controller for now is for doing automation (using knobs) and occasionally the launchpad when I'm recording something. Other than that - my track layout changes all the time when busy with a song and I don't really need permanent access to the levels of my tracks - it's not like I've got a need to constantly ride the faders.

Personally I'd rather spend the money on an instrument (synth, flute, cello etc.) or a nice key or pad midi controller. So many times I've seen or heard of people getting a midi controller to dedicate to a VST(i) mapping or for production purposes and a few months later it's lying around collecting dust. Rather get something to jam with. Unless you're loaded then just buy everything I guess .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really nice
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 360
Re: USB/FireWire DAW controllers?

I own the BCF2000 and freaking love it. I've used it with Ableton and FL Studio and it works great with both. At first I thought being limited to 8 faders was going to become arduous, but you can actually cycle through "pages" so you can assign to more than just 8 channels. The two-way automation is a nice touch too. It can also double as a full controller for starting/stopping playback and a few other neat features.

Having spent so much time with this I REALLY want the BCR-2000 so I can get some knobby goodness involved. Despite being a Behringer product, its a great device. I recommend it!

------------------
Adharma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Tbh though - I always find the idea of using a controller in a production environment better than actual practice. The only thing I use a controller for now is for doing automation (using knobs) and occasionally the launchpad when I'm recording something. Other than that - my track layout changes all the time when busy with a song and I don't really need permanent access to the levels of my tracks - it's not like I've got a need to constantly ride the faders.

Personally I'd rather spend the money on an instrument (synth, flute, cello etc.) or a nice key or pad midi controller. So many times I've seen or heard of people getting a midi controller to dedicate to a VST(i) mapping or for production purposes and a few months later it's lying around collecting dust. Rather get something to jam with. Unless you're loaded then just buy everything I guess .
Yea. Exactly. Once I get the basic levels its just tweaking anyway.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!

fair well im cautious because a: im poor, and b: I don't wanna buy something that I won't actually find myself using very much, which has happened before. I have considered the faderport before and might still go for it.]

Wanted to find out opinions on such things as I am well aware that both hardware and software can seem like solutions to a problem which neither will fix, usually down to a frustration at not getting the sound you want or dissatisfying mixes. However the real solution is just more practice and knowledge, rather than tons of fancy plug-ins and gear, which I am a bit of a sucka for

------------------

Old 23-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910

ipad

(i'm serious)

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
ipad

(i'm serious)
apple aint gettin anymore of my dole money XD

------------------

Old 23-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204810
Thanked 4,096 Times in 3,041 Posts

I know it's not motorized, but there's always the Korg NanoKontrol 2, that you can pick up new for around the £50 mark.

I've just bought one myself, but it hasn't arrived yet. By all accounts it's pretty good, with a dedicated "Mackie Control" setting for controlling standard DAW features. But, like I said, it's not motorized.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

I second the BCR/BCF option. Like you said, it's the cheapest with motorized faders available and it seems to hold it's value as used ones are all in the 75-90 euro pricerange so even if you get bored with it you can sell it for the same price you bought it for.

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910

this might be of interest

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

tbh I got excited about this idea but now have resigned it for the thought of just gettin me a turntable and start sampling vinyls, I don't need more production based kit.

------------------

Currently Listening To: sigur ros
Old 25-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indican Sound View Post
tbh I got excited about this idea but now have resigned it for the thought of just gettin me a turntable and start sampling vinyls, I don't need more production based kit.
Lol! That´s definitely something different than considering a MIDI controller..

Then again I get the vibe. PC-based music sometimes really is like walking through a big candystore with an in insatiable hunger yet an indiscriminatory appetite

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
Lol! That´s definitely something different than considering a MIDI controller..

Then again I get the vibe. PC-based music sometimes really is like walking through a big candystore with an in insatiable hunger yet an indiscriminatory appetite
precisely, obviously these do not serve the same purpose but I recon it will be more rewarding

------------------

Old 14-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #16
liveact
Minor Glitch
liveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Base from Livid instruments:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5tfa-TFj8&list=PLh01w0BVsQEPIYQUVHu3PhSq865zqHa2x

Advertisements

liveact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote